Best method to bolt down a safe?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by StainlessSteel215, Mar 1, 2013.

1. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

Just picked up a new Field & Stream 260lb 10 gun dial safe a few days ago. Just got it unboxed and into position on the basement floor. Now, itsa time to secure it over the weekend.

Never done this before and looking for any good suggestions on how to go about this. I believe my safe has 2 pilot holes at the bottom but I would like to add 2 more for extra security.

Anyone have a decent, easy method for this process? I'm not sure what hardware, what kinda bit, etc. I'm fairly handy w/small jobs but never done this before...I wanna do it ONCE and be done with it! Thanks in advance!

2. kirbinster

kirbinster New Member

I assume you are talking about bolting it to a concret floor. If so just go to HomeDepot or Lowes and buy some Hilti (or equiv) concrete lags. You take a hammer drill and drill a hole in the floor, then you insert the lag and tighten it down. The base expands in the concrete. You then unscrew the bolt and place the safe over the holes and then insert the bolts and tighten them down.

Do you really need more than two? Do you really even need any -- 260 pounds plus the weight of stuff in it sounds fairly secure to start with. I know, just because one is paranoid does not mean that people aren't actually after them - but it sounds like over kill.

3. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

Buy a tube of Liquid Nails...if it's full of guns and ammo and has that between it and the concrete...its not going anywhere.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  4. StainlessSteel215

Kirbi that was a very direct response and makes sense, thanks man and I think you are right....4 may be overkill. Its sitting on a small basement, down a narrow flight of steps, and carefully hidden behind storage bins (which I know are empty and takes me 5 seconds to remove to access safe ;)

Mucho appreciated

5. StainlessSteel215

I would worry about a permanent bolt-down secured with liquid nails because we will probably only be in our house for another 5 years or so. I will have to move the safe at some point and simply going inside and loosening the bolts would be ideal. Im looking for a semi-permanent solution not a permanent one

6. KimberFan

KimberFan New Member

Yeah, you darn sure won't get it up to move if you use this stuff. It will suck it down for good.

7. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

I'd say at least two bolts just to reduce the chance that someone might pull it over on themselves accidentally.

8. StainlessSteel215

Well I'm happy to say that this safe now that its packed with guns & ammo just packed on at LEAST another 40-50lbs. Its gotta be well over 300lbs now. Im a big guy myself and tried to gently rock it to test....didnt BUDGE!

Next will be to find a clever way to illuminate the darn safe because its pitch black down there! Looking at some cool LED workaround videos on YouTube

9. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

you'd be surprised how enterprising young thieves can be. Bolting to cement floor is not that difficult. They make lights for the dial and inside.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

If it is not too late, I would urge you NOT to set the safe directly on concrete, but to use some wood as a shim between safe and concrete. Does not need to be much- 3/8 plywood.

MOISTURE will wick thru concrete, and bottom of safe will rust. As far as securing, yes, lag shields, drill hole with the right sized masonry bit and a drill. Use a punch from inside safe to mark the floor (that way, holes in safe line up with lag shields) Use GOOD quality lag bolts- have had the cheap crap snap off when tightening.

BTW, one major reason for bolting down is to make it harder for a thief to tip it over- they can use prying tools much more effectively on a safe laid on its back.

11. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

Knew a kid that was maybe weighed 150 pounds soaking wet, he turned a soda machine over on himself at our work site, cost him 2 broken legs and me a strained back helping lift it off him. :(