Best long term ammo storage

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by 2ndAmendmentFreedom, Apr 11, 2012.

1. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

Hey everyone,
    I have a few boxes of Golden Sabers .45 (230gr) that I'd like to store safely, what do you guys recommend that provides a good seal and can be opened easily? I have some silica gel packs I can throw inside.

Thanks!

2. bkt

bkt New Member

Uhh...stick 'em in an ammo can? Ammo lasts a long way that way. If you want, throw in a silica gel water absorber.

3. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

Ya that's what I'm asking for, any links? There is an overwhelming amount of mil surplus cans online and it's hard to tell what's best.

4. vincent

vincent New Member

All mine's in ammo cans...10 bucks at any mil-surp store...

5. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

I'm gonna see if I can find a store nearby.

6. vincent

vincent New Member

Check the seal, make sure it's not dried or cracked. Just dump in the loose ammo, the cardboard attracts moisture...:cool:

7. bkt

bkt New Member

Buy some that are in relatively good condition - no rust, good seals. That isn't hard to do and they shouldn't cost you more than $6 or $10 per can depending on the size. I don't have any links handy because these things are literally everywhere. Google it and yell if you have any questions. :)

8. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Any reputable army surplus store should have plenty in all sizes laying around.

Ive got several .50 cal cans i got for 8 bucks a piece at a store near fort knox. Also got a .30 cal can i found and a 60 mm mortor can my dad gave me.

They are great for storing ammo, if the seals are good you dont have to worry about moisture. They are stackable and have thier own carry handles. In a bug out situation grab them and throw in the back off the truck and go, do that with plastic cans and the ribs in your bedliner will be full of loose rounds.

.50 cal cans are the perfect size for stacking 50 round boxes of .45 acp in. One of my cans is full of nothing but .45 ammo

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  9. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I use military ammo cans. They can be found on Amazon.com, or just about anywhere.

Attached Files:

10. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I vacuum seal my ammo. It seals them up nice and tight, then keep them in a cool dry place. The food bags work perfectly. My roommate sealed up a dozen loaded AR magazines a few months ago and they're still sealed. You'll know if the seal breaks, trust me. Just buy a few boxes, vacuum seal them when you get home.

11. Kodeman

Kodeman Member

It helps to coat the rubber gasket with a little petroleum jelly (Vaseline), as it keeps the rubber from drying out.

12. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I have also vacuum sealed my BOB ammo, I have them seperated by amounts to fill a mag ( pistol and AR ) and also have two p-mags vac sealed. Just in case my bag was to get submerged I wouldnt have to worry about my ammo.

13. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

honestly do any of us here have to worry about ammo going bad? ive shot stuff made in the 70s 12 guage paper ammo and .22 ammo just stored in the garage in their original cardboard box i just keep mine in the house on the floor in their original box in ammo boxed 12 guage .22 ammo and 22. mag ammo i would imagine the ammo would last for 30 plus years and i imagine most of it will be shot up and replaced long before that

14. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I've shot hundreds of May 1964 dated .303s that sat in their cardboard box for 47 years and I have NEVER had a bad round. I think as long as you take care of it and keep it dry, it doesn't matter in the slightest.

15. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

I seal mine for BOB only. Im not really worried about mine going bad in a safe.

16. m72law

m72law New Member

you might want to check craigslist also in your area,someone might be selling a few:)

i purchased 60 .30cal cans from a guy on CL for 4bucks ea.all where in great shape.. wish i would have bought all he had,like 200cans:(

try & keep your ammo cans as full as possible,less space, less moisture & if you run out of silica gel packs,dump some uncooked rice into a sock,cloth bag,ect. it works just as good if not better than the silica packs;) works on drying out wet cell phones also.

17. krisko09

krisko09 New Member

That's a trick they taught us at DART school. Always have rice in your ruck. It's multi-functional. You can eat it, or use it to dry out HVI's.

Sent from my DROID Pro using FirearmsTalk

18. KalashnikovBlood

KalashnikovBlood New Member

I'm pretty sure BudK and CHKadels sells 30 cal ammo cans.

Spetsnaz for Life