Best long range rifle under $1000

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by jalo1497, Jan 26, 2017.

1. jalo1497

jalo1497 New Member

I'm looking to get into long range shooting and the farthest I've ever shot was 500 yds and that's when I was still in the marines. I need advice on a good rifle that won't break the bank thank you !!

2. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Savage 112 .338 Lapua magnum
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1485484503.493117.jpg

3. steelfingers

steelfingers New Member Supporter

That's exactly 1000 bucks....ha!

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Better start looking for a used rifle. And you haven't even thought about optics,a decent long range scope that will actually work will run you around $1k for entry level optics.
    Most of my long range rifles/optics run in the $2500-3500 range,and I build all my rifles myself. Throw in another $1k if you need the services of a gunsmith for your rifle.

5. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

He didn't ask for the cheapest. :p

6. Txhillbilly

Yeah,And I doubt he needs to start off with a 338 Lapua either. Most guy's can't afford the ammo to feed those often.

7. steelfingers

Keeps me away from them, but if you are going yard with any success, cost is a problem. 1,000 out and you got to have good tools and skills and that means dropping some coin before you drop the brass. Even then, trigger time will mean a cash register ringing often.

8. jalo1497

jalo1497 New Member

I'm planning on spending at most 100 on the rifle optics is a different category and .338 lapua is a little pricey too shoot I'm looking more into like .308 or 6.5 creedmor

9. steelfingers

Love the 6.5 but going with the 308. Lot's of off the shelf ammo and, even though I will shoot at 1,000 yards, I have no illusion of my ability. Just doing the best I can with what I got. Ha.
    The Creed shoots flatter but if I went that way, I'd have to reload and I don't. Even with the 308 (or others) to be at that next level, loading is critical.
    I do it for fun and have a place I can shoot steel (gong) at 1,000. Could move further back but then I'm just lobbing shots in that direction.

10. echo1

echo1 Active Member

This. I built it myself Ishapore '67 2A1 7,6sX51 NATO 200 bucks as you se it. I call it the "Khyber Pass Regulator". could do more with match ammo. happens to be a good one. PAX

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  11. steelfingers

I don't see a picture

12. slothlife

slothlife New Member

Has anyone here put a magpul hunter 700 stock on a remington 700 sps tactical 308? That plus a nice 20moa base would put you around $900. I considered going that route, but ponied up for a manners t4a stock instead. I maxed my scope out with that base at 1350 yards. Oh, and if you're planning to shoot at 1000+, plan on stepping up to match grade ammo $$$.

13. Txhillbilly

Factory match ammo for the 6.5 Creedmoor is plentiful, and in most cases cheaper than the same quality 308 match ammo.
    I can load 100 cases for just a little more than a box of 20 factory cartridges cost, and it is fine tuned to each of my rifles.
    You will never get the performance with factory ammo that you can get with hand loads.

14. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

I bought 4 different savage rifles when I was into shooting prairie dogs and the model I bought was the "varminter". I found that the TACK TICKLE (tactical) was basically the same rifle but with a HIGHER price tag!

My threesome of 243's reaches out to 700 yards with great accuracy with reloads that I worked up for the rifle.

I had a 25-06 that would do about 1200 yards using the 120 grain bullets but I burned the barrel out on that rifle in a short period of time (about 750 rounds). It became a 6.5 x .284 which WILL reach 1000 yards easily.

I know that a .308 round will go 1000 yards with the RIGHT loads as I used a .308 bolt gun for Palma Matches years ago.

There are more efficient rounds then the .308 for long distance, but it WILL do the job with a 175 Grain Sierra Match King bullet, loaded with 45.0 grains of varget, I was using R/P NICKEL plated brass as I could find it in the grass easier, with winchester brand standard large rifle primers. You need a 1 in 10 or 1 in 11 twist barrel (1 in 10 is better IMHO).

ALL DISCLAIMERS apply, reduce your loads 10 percent and work up from there.
    consult a reloading manual, your rifle, it's chamber and throat are different then MINE!!

I found a dealer (this was 10 years ago) where I could buy that savage varmint rifle in 243, 308 etc for 547 bucks with the palm swell laminated wood stock that looks like a piece of art.

15. echo1

echo1 Active Member

Forgot the picture. Another one of the mutts that followed me home once. Originally an Ishapore that some one else started on. I acquired it with not quite enough parts to return to stock trim. After a little research, digging through my treasure chest, and a little Dremel work, this what I ended up with. Choate recoil pad (upside down) fitted to an ATI synth stock, 5 round mag, 6X32X50 Cheapenese illuminated reticle scope on an S&K no-drill mount, Red Head bipod & sling posts. Keeping in the tradition of Indian metal finishing, Rustoleum rubberized underbody coating. 1" MOA at 300 yards with milsurp Indian (I hope). PAX

16. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

M-107A1 from Barrett for long range!:D

17. Txhillbilly

And a 4 wheeled cart to tote it around!

18. jackrich3

jackrich3 Well-Known Member Supporter

......and a lanyard.

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Hey, jalo1497, Welcome to the FTF, from the swamp north of The Swamp.

Sooo, 800$ for the rifle, 900-1400$ for the optic, and a good box of top-end

high-powered rifle ammo-47.50-...

You didn't mention this, do you have a place to shoot this rifle? Long distance

rifle ranges are HTF, and not cheap. How's your trigonometry? You'll have to

be able to do ballistics calculations, (right or wrong, MUCH cheaper if your

math is correct) and adjust for the coriolis effect.

If you're planning on tuning your own loads, set aside about what you spent

on the rifle for reloading equipment, and you will need space for a reloading

bench. Or you can settle for what ammo you can buy locally, or order over

the internet.

Just a heads up, it may cost a wee bit more than you may have anticipated.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  20. Txhillbilly

Man,You need to catch up with the times. Ballistic calculations are as simple as downloading a known program onto your phone and/or laptop,and they are for the most part FREE. I use JBM's calculator on my laptop,and a mobile app from BalisticsARC with a bluetooth weather station for out in the field adjustments.

Now a chronograph is pretty much a must have tool to know your rifles velocities,but once you know that,the rest is just typed into the program for your dope.

Remind me to never shop for reloading equipment where you do.
    It doesn't cost much at all to buy what you need to load very accurate ammo.
    Most stuff can be bought used off ebay for next to nothing,the only thing that I'd purchase new would be the dies.