Best Lever Action Rifle?

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by ElmerDuff, Jul 23, 2007.

1. ElmerDuff

ElmerDuff New Member

If you could only own one lever action rifle which would it be and what caliber?

2. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Everyone knows it would have to be a Henry... any caliber would do:) .

3. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

To have only one lever action :

I would choose a Browning BLR in .308 Winchester

all kinds of ammo available from hunting to military...

detachable box magazine...carry an assortment of ammo & reload fast

Look like just another hunter out for a walk while having a mag of 308 Norler partition, 308 military and 308 125JHP for varmints or coyotes.

Locks up like a bolt gun with rotary lock bolt, light weight and good accuracy.

JMHO :cool:

4. zeskullmaster

zeskullmaster New Member

Lever gun heaven

I have a Henry , Winchester and a Marlin lever action rifles the winchester and Marlin are 30-30 and the Henry is a 38/357 cal. I use them all for different reasons the Marlin is very accurate out at long range with a scope . The winchester is a top ejection old style pre 64 model 94 carbine and is very light so its great for mountain hunting as it wont wiegh you down on those tough climbs my Henry is great for small game such as cyote and other small game it is a Heavy rifle actualy heavier then my Marlin so I wouldnt want to heft it into a long hunt...... well that is my choices I learned them from getting out there and roughing it out so it will be up to you to find out your needs and go from there .... keep your powder dry and enjoy to moment as it happens ........;)

5. Josey Wales '94

Josey Wales '94 New Member

The Spencer, Henry, Winchester 66, 73, 76, 86, 92, 94, and especially the 95, are all the ones to drool over. I'd take the 1895 Win in .30-06, all around. Dont know exactly why this thread goes here, but its fine with me. Unless you look at it like all the mentioned used BP cartridges save the 95, which was manufactured in BP cartridges.

6. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I'd go with either the BLR (see above) in .308 or .358, or a Win 88 or Savage 99 in .308.

7. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Here's mine.

This thread is OLD, and in the wrong place. Seriously, a dredged old thread in the bp and musket thread about a lever action? Does anyone ever equate dates and/or topics?

Let's all reply ad nauseum.

I bet others will reply without reading this.

Marlin 30/30 or hows about the Savage 60/43. Don't leave them out...:rolleyes:

8. steve666

steve666 New Member

My choice also. [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Sagetown

Sagetown New Member

:D That's easy. The one I have. ROSSI's winchester 1892 in .357 magnum. It's attractive, light weight, is fun to shoot.

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Skull, weren't there black powder cartridge lever rifles? I'm thinking along the lines of the 1873 and 44-40.
    (If blackpowder is what the OP meant, then why are all the answers referencing smokeless cartridges?)

11. Hawg

Hawg New Member

Well this is the black powder forum, you would think that's what he meant. I'd go with 44-40 since it's the oldest rifle/pistol caliber still in production and a lot of fun to shoot. Oh and Winchester 92.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  12. freefall

freefall New Member

BLR in .358 Winchester. Although I now own a Savage 99 in .358. Browning is just prettier.

13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Let's see a pic of that 99! Send me the pic if you don't know how to post it, and I'll put it up for you.

When did you get the 99? What vintage is yours? I had one in .308 but it was one of the '80's mfg and was not as smooth as the older ones.

I had an old 99 in .300Savage and it like butter. Half octagon bbl.

14. freefall

freefall New Member

A friend bought the 99 at a gun show about 15 years ago. He knew I was looking for one, so he called and asked if I wanted it. I think it's probably late 70s vintage, it has a steel rotor, not brass. I'll try to learn to do pics, there are a couple of things I'd have liked to post.

15. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Start with a Photobucket account. I love those 99's.

16. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I have a pre 64 Winchester 94 30-30 and a slightly newer 1971 Marlin 444s,and honestly I like the Marlin alot better,it's bigger,longer,fits me better and actions smoother.The Win 94 is too small for me,I get flak from my buddy about my Marlin love,but I really do love the Marlins.