Best idpa handgun

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by cblowe13, Mar 18, 2013.

1. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

In your opinion what is the best idpa/comp pistol? I think I'm going with the Springfield xd .40

2. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I say go for the Enhanced XDm.
    Spend $800 and get a gun that needs NO modifications done to it.

On the other hand you can go for the $650 Glock 34/35 and get a new trigger ($100), new sights ($100), and an extended mag ($50), i think you know where im going with this...

I say get the XDm and be happy.

3. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

What's the differences in the xdm and the xd

4. indy36

indy36 New Member

I have this: image-3566126315.jpg
    image-3288442235.jpg

And this: image-2748979652.jpg
    image-2260377769.jpg

The G34 is a better IDPA gun.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  5. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

More champion IDPA shooters have used the Glock 34 more than any other gun.

6. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

XDm has a better barrel, trigger, higher capacity mags, more aggressive grip, and interchangable back-straps.

7. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Just because more people use it dosent make it a better gun. Just my opinion.

8. indy36

indy36 New Member

I know it's all personal choice but I found the Glock 34 to be more accurate. It has plenty of aftermarket parts and it's easy to find people to work on it. I also believe it to be more hearty and reliable. And yes, mine has had a trigger job and 3.5 connector and 6lb spring, and new sights.

The XDM comes apart in a manner more favorable to me and the frame fits better in my hand BUT, I shoot the Glock way better. The XD is packaged cool but my opinion, it's not as good and don't fall for the packaging.

I have both so I've shot both, in IDPA. I like the Glock.

9. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Sweet glock! I wanted a glock but to late now lol my xd is amazingly accurate to me with two thousand rounds through it!

10. indy36

indy36 New Member

And my opinion, he said more 'champion' shooters use the Glock. Not random schmos but champions...that gives advantage to the Glock. Now, having said that, the Glock has been out longer so it has more users. Time will tell with the XDM.

I'm nobody, but I do own both. I've shot both. In IDPA. Again, I'm nobody, but I do have insight since I own both. Pick the one you like best BUT if you are leaning toward the XDM, shoot the G34 too before buying the XDM. You owe it to yourself. If you were just to pick each up without shooting I bet 80% of people would say they like the XDM. It feels better in your hand, it does, but it's rounds on target that matter so test both.

And if you are an XD person, I respect you. No wars here. I bought both so I drank ALL the Kool Aid. Both taste well.

11. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Sorry guys I wasent trying to make this about XDm vs. Glock.

Ive put thousands of rounds down range between the two brands, and for me the XDm wins by far, but handguns are personal weapons so its always up to the shooter.

OP keep trucking with that XD, the more you shoot the more you love it.

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

IMO the best IDPA gun is a Ruger P95 but you never get a fair shake even with a copy of the rules and a letter from the Tiger committee in your gun bag. To avoid such douchebags you are forced to shoot a 1911 or a double action. Kind of funny when I shoot the LEO events I always get a fair shake with the P95. I have an XD comp I shoot in regular IDPA events. Like anyone is going to conceal an XD comp with a 5" barrel. I should get some speed clips for my Dan Wesson and put the 10" barrel on it.

13. indy36

indy36 New Member

And lastly, my opinion, both of these guns fit within the rules of IDPA but in reality, they are kind of 'cheater' guns. IDPA wants you to use a store bought pistol that you actually carry. That's the point, right? To get skilled with what's on your hip every day. There aren't too many people carting around G34s or 5.25 inch XDMs on a daily basis. I carry a few different things. Mostly a Sig P238 but sometimes a Glock 17 goes with me (mostly in the winter). I'd never do IDPA with that little .380 Sig but that's IDPA's spirit, thus, when I show up with a G34 I kinda feel like I'm cheating. With a barely legal sight radius and a low bore axis and a full trigger job, well, I'm going to beat a lot of people just because of my gun. At least I admit it's halfway to cheating.

14. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

lol very good point!!!

15. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

What do you mean by legal sight radius

16. indy36

indy36 New Member

IDPA has a box. Your gun must fit within that box, with an empty mag in the gun. The box measures 8 and 3/4" x 6" x 1 5/8". A barrel length of 5.31 inches is pushing the 6 inch limit of the box. By 'sight radius' I mean the distance between the front and rear sights. With a barrel length of 5.31 inches the Glock is long. Long equals greater distance between sights which translates to accuracy. A short gun has a short barrel and poor accuracy. Part of IDPA is accuracy, thus a longer gun is better.

17. indy36

indy36 New Member

And the rules say:

A. The gun must be practical for self-defense.

B. Concealable.

C. Must be suitable for and worn in a manner that is appropriate for all day continuous wear.

The G34 and XDM push the boundaries of "B" and if you've ever tried to wear either all day, from sun up to sun down, you know it pushes "C" to the max.

18. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Thank you sir for explaining that, haven't made it to a match yet. Got to keep practicing. I really want to be the best and I know guns do some of the work but alot is also on the shooters.

19. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I shoot CDP. I can't believe nobody said 1911. I may start out down two rounds. But I am always low on points down. It is not just about speed and capacity. A 1911 is tough to beat for acuracy.

I have a P95. It is a great gun. But I dont like the mag release. I also prefer the 45 for the simple fact that it puts bigger holes in the target. It can be tough to see a 9mm hole at 20 yards.

20. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Not many people that shoot IDPA use a gun or a holster that one could easily conceal. When I carry my P95 I carry it IWB. I have never seen anyone shoot from IWB at any IDPA match. Yet, 90% of the guns used in IDPA competition would have to be carried IWB. Defensive should be dropped from the name of IDPA.

I managed to get into the auxiliary sheriffs dept so I can shoot LEO matches. They are more laid back. If I had not got involved with the LEO matches I would be shooting steels by myself at home.