Best Home Defense 12-Gauge Ammo?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by ryevick, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Gunlover38

Gunlover38 New Member

I personally don't like shotguns for home defence. They spray to wide and are hard to conceal. I would suggest a kimber.45 auto kimbers are very reliable.

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Damn straight Shawn. Been there done that several times.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, why worry about concealing in your home? And, did you see how the Federal FC #1 buckshot performed?

4. Gunlover38

Gunlover38 New Member

I believe in concealing because when you are not home and someone breaks in they are going strait to the guns and if they are in a safe you can get to them fast during a robbery if you are home. If you're any good at shooting you can kill multiple attackers with 8 rounds in a pistol

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

gunlover, this subforum is about general shotgun questions. since when did a Kimber becoame a shotgun? the thread is about HD loads for shotguns, not pistols. just saying.:rolleyes:

6. heavyliftn

heavyliftn New Member

I like the side by side and over under home defense out on the market. This is a great thread cause this ia something I am currently shopping for.

7. Gloves

Gloves New Member

There are 8 shells in my Mossberg.

The first 4 are 10-pellet 000 3" mag
    The last 4 are 1oz Slug

I figure if the baddies aren't done by the first 4, they are probably taking cover and a little penetration power might be in order.

Then I have 2 buck, 3 slugs on the side saddle.

Why go with just 1 round?

8. FAS1

FAS1 Active Member

I have never felt the need to switch from 00 Buck. That's what stays loaded in my Beretta 1201FP.

9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

If you break into my home, you had better worry more about The Shadow, before you worry about me with a gun, at least death from me will be swift !

10. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

My only problem is if you are forced to use deadly force make it deadly as if you shoot to wound you must feel you aren't in that much danger. Also if he is permanantly disabled by the shot depending on the State you live in he will sue you and win and end up owning your house. If he dies from his wounds he won't repeat the crime and your story will be the only one.
    I use Dept. issued 00Buck in a mossberg 500 backed by a 357 sig and a very protective dog, my wife backs me with a 1911 loaded with 230 grain WW Ranger L.E. ammo.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  11. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

I know how I will act/react as I have been there and won Me live Bad guy DOA

12. Todd_

Todd_ New Member

I know this isn't the most recent post but I have to ask....

How wide do you think a shotgun would "spray" at five yards (fifteen feet, about as far as most people need to worry about for in-home defense).

Concealing for home defense is a moot point. He won't find my shotgun, which is stashed right next to the bed, before I do. Accessibility is key, not how well a firearm conceals.

Oh, and to answer the question before you say something that I think you may come to regret, the answer is.... Drumroll please..... Roughly a five inch spread. Rule of thumb, a shotgun will have a spread of roughly one inch per three feet that the shot must cover. Not all are the same, but this method of estimation will get you pretty close. That being said, your chest is much wider than 5", so I would rather shoot several .38 or so caliber bullets at you with one shot from the shotgun vs a single .45 round.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

excellent points Todd. i have no need to have to conceal my choice of firearm used in my home towards an intruder, it's my home.

as to the pattern or spread, this is why people need to go out and shoot their shotgun and learn how it patterns at different distances to see what type of spread it does have. different ammo in different shotguns will pattern differently. and the beauty of the shotgun is, that though it does need to be aimed, it doesn't require the same precision that a pistol does in order to hit the target. so IMO, the better choice for HD is the shotgun over the pistol.

14. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen New Member

Well, yeah! Some of us are former soldiers and marines and seaman and pilots and police officers and EMT/Paramedics/firefighters. Some of us have been victims of violent crimes in the past. Some of us have been in natural disasters or other emergencies.

Yes...Some of us do know how we would react in a highly stressful situation. Some of us have had the blessing of professional training, and some of us have had to learn through traumatic experience.

The keys to survival are 2 things, IME:
    1. A will to survive. You have to want to survive more than anything else. You have to believe that you CAN survive and that--dammit!--you deserve it! Believe that you WILL make sure you survive no matter what you have to do.
    2. DON'T panic. You can and must control your thoughts! It IS possible to do...I've done it myself. Stop yourself. Stop your mind. Take a breath. Don't let yourself panic.

IMO, if we knew how many people died as a result of panic, we'd be startled. For example...and this could be debated but, I believe that nearly all accidental drownings are the result of panic.

Preparation, education/training, and proper equipment are beneficial and make the whole situation easy to handle; however, IMHO they are secondary to those 2 primary requirements. If you have gear and training yet you lose your mind or give up the will to fight, you'll more than likely be victimized anyway.

Remember...those hardened, bold, violent, career criminals have learned how to survive stressful situations through experience. Statistically, you are not their first violent crime victim and may not be their first kill either. You HAVE TO get yourself into a warrior mindset. You have to be willing to be extremely violent (I didn't say just BE...I said be WILLING to be if it's necessary). You have to be willing to survive even if it means challenging your personal taboos when the situation hits.

Sorry. This post was longer than intended.

[/rant]

15. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen New Member

Let me play "Devil's advocate" for a moment.

1. If someone breaks into your home while you are away and you come home and stumble upon them, they already have the upper hand because you're surprised by their presence and they are inside a dwelling with multiple walls, doors, and rooms. Sure you can argue that you know your home better than they do and you know the hiding spots and they don't. Unless you live in the Winchester Mystery House, most homes aren't all that different and most crooks already know how to spot a hiding spot immediately. They LIVE in the shadows and hiding spots everyday. They might be better at hiding in YOUR home than you would be.

2. Don't forget that the crooks may fight back. Could you kill multiple guys with your pistol if they were fighting back?
    1:1 is a dangerous gun fight.
    2:1 is very hard to survive; you'd better be a warrior.

Beyond 2:1 you're chances of survival are close to nil. You'd better be the Billy [email protected]$$ of all Billy [email protected]$$es EVER!

If you come home and find multiple criminals in your house, my advice is DON'T EVEN ENTER (or run out at top speed)...just drive away and call the police...period.

SIDE NOTE: That's one reason why I NEVER let the dog enter the home before I do. If the dog wasn't already there, then it comes in, the criminals know you're now home...then the fight's on! No thanks.

16. olegeezer

olegeezer New Member

Totallyfrozen, Good answer, I have no training such as some of you folks and I worry about being able to keep calm under stress. I studied the actions of other folks in a high stress situations and you are right, the main thing I have found out is your attitude when the going gets tough.

17. Gloves

Gloves New Member

Violence of Action
    or
    Ferocity of Fight

Is another thing that's needed to be brought to the battle!