Best Home Defense 12-Gauge Ammo?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by ryevick, Jun 25, 2012.

1. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I would say 00buck, i counted 9 pellet holes

2. ryevick

ryevick Member

Well, I decided the ammo I want but it seems expensive? I haven't bought ammo in a long time and think maybe it's cheaper to buy in a store than pay the shipping.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

3. ryevick

ryevick Member

that's what I was thinking but wasn't sure...

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Head and chest were a mix of 00 buck loads along with slugs.

The head shot was Sellor & Bellot 9 pellet 00 buck, 2 3/4". You can see the pattern is a bit wider than the chest shots, which were Remington, Winchester and Federal loads. The S&B load has no powdered buffer or shot cup.

5. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Usually you can find ammo cheaper in the store for single boxes of ammo,I just ordered 200 rounds of 44 mag at 5 dollars cheaper per box(4 boxes)than what can be had in a store,but with shipping it came out to maybe a dollar a box savings vs in store.

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

In my Benelli M-2, 2 3/4 inch 12 pellet 00 loads pattern better than 9 pellet loads out to 25 yards. Of course, this could very well just be my particular weapon, and ymmv.

Since I live in a semi-rural area, I load with 2 3/4 inch 12 pellet 00, since over penetration is not a concern.

7. gearhead396

gearhead396 Active Member

If you wanna get crazy I recommend flechette it shoots 20 3 inch hive or take long nails basically can penetrate even through type 2 body army that's takin anything out in its path

8. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Or, as this is 2-3/4" "magnum" it could be that becasue it has more net power and a heavier load albeit slightly slower muzzle velocity, with the different construction of this different shell, these affect how they pattern. Not surprising at all really when you think about it...

There's a poll on another popular site. For HD 90% use Buckshot, 6% use slugs, 4% use birdshot.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  9. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen New Member

If its at all possible, I recommend conducting your own small test with various rounds.

If you can get to a range where you can mount some patterning paper (e.g. on a wood pallet) fire different brands and #'s of shot at the patterning papers. That will let you see how big the holes are that the shot makes (some are MUCH smaller than you might expect) and--most importantly--show you where/how your barrel patterns. Shotguns often don't spread a uniform cloud of pellets directly in front of the barrel. For example, I know that one of the barrels on one of my shotguns likes to shoot slightly up & left of center. Knowing this allows me to adjust my aim and grip on the gun to put the shot where I want it.

You should know WHERE you gun is going to throw the shot at a given range.

Also, different brands and sizes may behave differently in your gun than in mine. Maybe yours gives the best pattern with 00 buck at 10yds and mine does it best with #1, etc.

I encourage everyone who has a shotgun--ESPECIALLY if you plan to use it in defense of your life--to buy lots of ammo in different brands and sizes and go pattern your barrel. THEN start to make your decision on which combat round you want to load.

Just my 2 cents

10. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Ive already done these tests with a few different loads,and ive posted the results here on FTF. The last one is on this thread, a few pages back.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  11. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen New Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

12. Boxlock

Boxlock New Member

I use what I call my reciprocal load team, meaning shot size and weight are reversable.

First two rounds in line are a load of 40ea./16gr. size F lead pellets (.22 cal.), approx. 1.5 oz load, with an appropriate weight of IMR 800-X pushing them.

Third and fourth rounds are a commercial #1 (.30 cal.) buck load which is 16ea./40gr. lead pellets. Again an approx. 1.5 oz load.

Each load an equal weight payload, but one with 40ea./16gr. pellets and less penetration first, followed by a fewer pellet count load of 16ea./40gr. pellets, but with more penetration.

I stuff whatever I want to use from the stock carrier in after that which include those loads and a couple of slug rounds as well.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
  13. DD4GC

DD4GC New Member

Not to mention, if the bad guy is entering your home with intent to do you harm, the "racking" of a shotgun may give away your position and subject you to fire. I believe it's best to exploit all of the advantages you have as the "homeowner" - stay quiet to identify the possible treat(s), use the darkness hat your familiar with, and use your home's cover &/or concealment. On ammo - I also like #1 buck.

14. Fred_G

Fred_G Well-Known Member

15. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I, too believe in a loaded chamber if you can do so safely. I have no children in the house, and my shotgun is readily accessible, yet quite well concealed.

I do, however, follow the safety rule that I both learned in class, and taught in many classes.

Regardless of the weapon used, i.e. shotgun, handgun, carbine etc, make sure that both feet are on the cold floor before the hand can reach the weapon.

16. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen New Member

Am I "over simplifying" this? Maybe but...

How many of you have ever killed someone with a shotgun?

If you have, just use what you used the last time (it worked for you).

If you've never killed someone with a shotgun, the most reliable assumption would be to use what the police departments/FBI issue for lethal force. It's been battle tested.

That generally seemed to be #4 plated buck, #1 plated buck, or 00 buck.

...and don't kid yourself into thinking that LE doesn't consider the risks of over-penetration and stray pellets. They certainly do.

All the rest of this is just guess work.
    [/THREAD]

IMHO, YMMV, FWIW, etc.

17. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen New Member

LE will ALWAYS maintain lethal force capability. You cannot enforce law and maintain order without it.

I specifically mentioned lethal force in my post to stay away from talk of beanbags and rubber bullets. Personally, I'll never adopt less than lethal rounds for HD.

On that note (and I digress but...), any criminal (they usually come in pairs or packs) who will commit such a bold, violent crime as a home invasion is almost always NOT a first time offender. We're dealing will hardened, experienced, career criminals. Anyone who wants to face off with that using warning shots, supposedly spooky noises (racking the slide), or less that lethal rounds is practically BEGGING to be killed in their own home. Or worse...kidnapped, tortured, then killed later. Large caliber, lethal stuff for me thanks. I have no plans to shoot to wound, either. If someone puts me in the position that I have to defend myself with a shotgun, they can expect to collect the pellets in their chest and head.

I've done EMT work with the police and have a good friend (and Army buddy) on the police dept. The police do care about over-penetration and stray rounds because they don't want innocents hurt. Sure there are lawyers and policies, etc. but I think most cops still give a damn. They don't want to cause unnecessary death or injury.

According to my very limited experience anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2012
  18. REDTAIL

REDTAIL Member

I use Estate Brand shotgun ammo # 4 Buckshot in my HD shotgun. As it will take down anything on either 2 or 4 legs. Case closed. First of all I would never use a Slug inside my home. As it will go through walls & kill a loved one in other rooms, Etc.

19. olegeezer

olegeezer New Member

I have a question. Does anyone know for certain how he or she is going to act in a highly stressed situation. I am sure should the incident happen to me I will not know how I will react until the time arises, god forbid. I know from what I gather, that training is the number one rule for preparing for the uncertain, as it can prepare one for the unknown and hopefully you will revert to the training to help get you through the confrontation should the time come. Bird shot for me, if their in my house then they will be close enough to die from a lethal dose of 7 1/2 shot.

“The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them.” Patrick Henry

20. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I know "exactly" how i react and what i will do