Best Home Defense 12-Gauge Ammo?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by ryevick, Jun 25, 2012.

1. ryevick

ryevick Member

I just bought me an Interstate Arms Hawk Model 982 Pump 12 Gauge for home protection and even though I'm sure this has been discussed before; with new ammo coming out all the time I figured I'd ask your opinions on the best ammo for home defense. I think 00 buckshot would be too much and go through walls too easy and bird shot might not be enough, especially when going through leather. I did notice the Winchester Blind Side which looked intriguing. Also, suggestions on 2 1/2 or 3" would be nice. Thoughts?

Oh yeah, suggestions on cheap target rounds would be helpful! :)

***********DIDN'T SEE THIS THREAD***********

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  2. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I prefer to load with #1 Buck. I've got a whole lot of 00-Buck because that is the cheapest load out there. But in my Mossberg right now, and on my sidesaddle, are a bunch Winchester #1-Buck shells. That seems to me to be the best balance between power and higher number of pellets.

YMMV

3. 44ablast

44ablast New Member

You don't need special over priced ammo to stop an intruder. I've got 3" bb in my hd shotty. I personally think slugs & oobuck are too risky in a home environment. Heck just the sound of racking the action on a pump shot gun will stop most people dead in their tracks,if not welllll

4. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

BB and up would be what I consider minimum. I prefer #1 but will take 0 or 00 because it is available. 2 and 3/4 should be plenty. It'salso easier to find, affoard and is more manageable as far as recoil, and you get more shells in the tube.

No disrespect intended, but I want to comment on that last part of your post.

Gun shop Shotgun myth #1

"I'll use a shotgun for home defense because racking the slide is enough to scare anyone away without having to fire a shot."

I think this is a dangerous assumption. If someone wants to bet their life on it, I think it is a bad bet. Criminals have been shot, and don't necessarily stop. Why would someone assume the sound of a gun would automatically stop them?

Here's an article from Atlanta that helps correct this assumption:

ATLANTA NEWS 1:17 p.m. Thursday, October 27, 2011

Burglar ignores shotgun warning, is shot by Buckhead homeowner
    By Mike Morris
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    A burglar who ignored a warning blast from a shotgun was shot in the leg early Thursday after breaking into a mansion on West Paces Ferry Road in Buckhead, police said.
    Homeowner shoots intruder
    Atlanta police dispatchers received a call shortly after 2 a.m. about a burglar inside the home, which sits well off West Paces Ferry near Northside Drive.
    After being awakened by his burglar alarm, the homeowner "got out of his bed and walked to the top of his steps," Atlanta police Sgt. Curtis Davenport told the AJC. "He heard someone downstairs so he went back and got his shotgun."
    Davenport said that when the homeowner returned to the top of the steps, "he saw a subject coming up the steps toward him and his family. The homeowner yelled out to the unknown subject to get out of his house."
    The intruder continued toward the homeowner, who fired a warning shot into the floor in front of the man.
    "The subject paused, then started coming further up the stairs," Davenport said. "The homeowner fired another shot at the subject's leg."
    Davenport said the intruder, 25-year-old William Leisy Jr., had entered the side door by force.
    Leisy, who Channel 2 Action News reported was drunk at the time of the incident, was charged with burglary and taken to Grady Memorial Hospital in stable condition.

There's a lot of little takeaway info in this one little article.
    -Burglar wasn't detered by an alarm.
    -Burglar wasn't detered by armed man with a shotgun telling him to stop.
    -Burglar wasn't detered by a warning shot.
    -Burglar was shot.
    -Burglar was drunk.

So, not knowing the state of mind of a burglar it seems pretty narrow minded to assume racking the pump on a shotgun will end a potentially bad situation.
    Other errors I see from the homeowner are that he went to investigate without being armed, and then had to return to get his shotgun. He fired a warning shot (may or may not be a good idea, but I have always been trained that warning shots are not exactly smart.) He then shot to wound, a burglar who was not detered by at least three deterents.

Side note. Burglar was treated and in stable condition. Don't know what kind of ammo was in the shotgun, but if pellets don't go to vitals, then it is a poor stopper.

5. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

As indicated, between #2 Shot and #0 Buck would be my go to. Lighter for shorter. #2 if you're in a studio apartment, all the way up to but not past #0 Buckshot as the all purpose tactical round when you just don't know who, what, when, where or care why...

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I agree with above that duck/goose loads are a great choice. Awhile back on this forum a member(sorry I don't remember who) stated 00 buck has the advantage if you end up outside your home the 00 has longer lethal range. Which I thought is a good point if you live in the country.

7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Number 4`s..............

8. ryevick

ryevick Member

9. tCan

tCan Active Member

I consider BB to be a minimum size.

10. ryevick

ryevick Member

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  11. phildenton

phildenton New Member

00 buck for me, will work for all threats be it 2 legged or 4, has great track record, and affordable as well as plentiful

12. gmaster456

gmaster456 New Member

There is no best. It depends almost entirely on your situation and location. Do your own testing to find out which load is suitable for you.

13. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

gmaster;
    I disagree with you. And so do you. Sounds funny, but, you tell him to test for himself. Test what, for what scenario? You have to outline the specific/most-likely use or no known one at all. In any case you have to deliberate and make a choice. If #2 Shot isn't ideal in the "average" circumstance you can certainly i.d. what is more broadly effective like #0 Buckshot.

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Hock i will have to agree with Gmaster to some degree and disagree with you. simply because every shotgun and ammo can perform differently. not even going to debate different shot size, but if a person decides on using say, OO buckshot as the ammo of choice for a SD load, different brands and different firearms can behave differently in regard to recoil, POI, patterning, and how well it functions in the firearm. so yes i agree with testing to find out how well it works, how it patterns, where the POI is, what the recoil feels like. when an intruder breaks in and you have to rely on it, is not the time to wonder if everything is going to work as it should.

15. 44ablast

44ablast New Member

16. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Oh, OK. Just wanna be clear -- so, you should determine which is best for you?
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

18. ryevick

ryevick Member

For HD is it better to get a lower velocity lead buckshot than plated/coated or steel buckshot? I would think so to keep the shot from going and going and being harder to stop. I am thinking #1 lead shot may be my main choice, maybe # 2 in addition to a few specialty hd rounds such as a #2 and 4 mix and a slug and 00 mix (which would be in the sling ready to load if needed).

19. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I agree,any old timer will tell you 00,I even asked an old timer about 000,and he's like..nahhh,-00.Double-aught is the best selling for a reason,mainly because it's a proven deer dropper,and in my opinion,it's got the perfect balance of close range low penetration power with just enough weight to be effective out to and beyond 25 yards if you needed to use it that far.I'd hate to be in a gunfight where the BG was shooting at me with an AR from 40 yards out and all I had was like #4 buck,i'd be S.O.L.

20. cj84

cj84 New Member

I agree thats all my grandfather would let me use as a kid. (for deer)