best high powerd survivle rifel

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Birchhatchery, May 3, 2012.

1. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

i was thinking a lever action 30 30 or .308 what yall think?

2. colmustard

colmustard New Member

3. COclaw

COclaw New Member

I guess I'd go .308 just for the availability of ammo.

4. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Also 30-06 is a nice option

5. TLuker

TLuker New Member

It all depends on what you want it for. A bolt action .308 will give you more range. An M1A in .308 will give you more range and fire power. Still, a 30-30 lever action would make a handy general purpose rifle to have on hand.

Several people have also mention how nice it would be to have a .357 lever action because you could then shoot .38 or .357 in your rifle or pistol. That's not a bad idea and a .357 would be a handy carbine to have on hand as well. It would lack the power of a 30-30 though.

Again, it all depends on what you want to do with it.:)

6. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i would take my 30-30 but a nice 308.bolt rifle is always fun too.

7. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

To me, it would depend on terrain. If you are in an area with short range shots then the 30-30 would be practical. Longer range shots the 308. It used to be that every little back woods store had 30-30 ammo if nothing else. With all the cartridges around today I wonder what those stores carry now. I doubt if there is much price difference on hunting ammo. I would choose a Ruger M77 compact magnum in 308 Winchester. I know it says magnum but it has an 18" barrel, weighs 6.75 lbs, iron sights and a wood stock. Or something similar.
    http://www.ruger.com/products/m77RugerCompactMagnum/models.html

8. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I have to say .308. I think it's the best all purpose round, in a bad situation. You can hunt with it, self defense, etc. 30-06 may be better but I only have bolt action in that.

9. tCan

tCan Active Member

A lightweight 308.

10. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

5.56 x 45mm NATO
    I know what you're thinkin': "is that really high-powered"?
    Yuppers.

11. spack762

spack762 New Member

7.62x54r. In a nice old gun:)

12. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

30-30 almost endless amount of ammo if your good you can shoot 250+ yards and it is a fast cycling weapon in a lever action

13. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

I recently met a guy, old guy, served 20 in the army, worked pretty high up on a fortune 500 company, retired, now he just does whatever he wants, including being a professional guide in Alaska. He was wearing a hat that said I believe "Custom Rifles Co". Had one of the sexiest rifles I've seen. Was going to sell it for 300. I'm talking threaded bolt, light weight custom stock, beautiful barrel, mount for a scope, etc. I want to say it shot something in the 300 range. Anyways, he was hitting well within 1 MOA at 100 yards. I suspect he's sold it by now, but looking into that company may solve your problem.

14. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I have to agree with this, since for "survival" you would want to be able to shoot small animals as well as bigger ones. Rats, squirrels, and pigeons are what you would need to bag with your survival rifle.

Tied with it would be a smaller shotgun like a 410. Probably better than a rifle too. But you said "rifle."

15. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

Personally, i'd rather use a good fiber re-inforced wolf stick.

16. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Survival Rifle : small game/self defense - O/U - 22 LR/20 ga. or 22 Magnum. Turkey guns moved up to 223/12 ga. German Drillings are sweet but pricey...

Not a fan of .410

17. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

The wolves would beat you. They hunt in packs. Check out the recent Alaska attack on the lady teacher jogging outside of town.

She would have needed a 45ACP.

18. Hectocotylus

Hectocotylus New Member

Mosin nagant. The end

19. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

But a stick works better. And if you look into the woman in alaska was running, thus triggering the wolves predatory instincts, so as long as i walk softly and carry a big stick i'll be fine.

20. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

If you don't run, things don't chase you. I know it seems hard to stand up to a pack of wolves, but wolves aren't stupid. You can't feed many of them, and there is easier prey if you're willing to fight. In the olden days, where packs of wolves would track one or two men through Alaska, even a simple fire would keep the pack at bay.

It's the same things with sled dogs. You want the one in front to be one of the tougher ones, because the ones in back spend so much time chasing him that he becomes prey in their eyes. Or at least I lead something along those lines.