Best handgun of all time?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by mauser757, Nov 7, 2011.

1. mauser757

mauser757 New Member

-Handgun
    -reasons
    -time era
    GO!

2. ahole

ahole New Member

Durrrrrrrrrr. 1911 .45acp

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

Revolver-1873 Colt SAA

Semi auto-Colt 1911a1

They are both the best for the same reason. They are both time tested designs and most handguns are held to their standards. They are also the most popular and well known handguns ever.

4. ahole

ahole New Member

I do apologize i did not think of the old peace maker.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

these two for sure. both have been proven with time and both have been copied and cloned many times, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! also both show that form follows function.

6. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Everyone knows what im gonna say, so ill say it..

Phillips & Rodgers Medusa M47,
    its made with mil spec 4330 modified vanadium steel (the same alloy used in the Gatling gun barrels of F-16 Falcon fighters) and is specially hardened. The Medusa frame is 28 Rockwell and the cylinders are proofed at 86,000 psi per cylinder. Its the strongest gun I know of, and it can shoot over 20 calibers..... :p

made from 1995 to 2001

7. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Couldn't agree more. I also think the Browning Hi Power and the Volcanic Repeating Arms Company's Volcanic Pistol should be included. The main reason for the Hi Power is it set the standards for most modern 9mm pistols. As for the Volcanic Pistol it's design further improved on the Jennings rifle, which lead to the invention of the Henry rifle and all the Winchester lever action rifles.

8. jismail

jismail Member

I would throw into the ring for consideration the S&W model 27. Many a LEO carried them for most of their generation..... Simplicity and reliability.

9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

The 1911 platform bar none !!!!!!!!!

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

11. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

No such thing as the "best" handgun. There have been very successful designs, and some that never made the grade. "Best" for me, may not be "best" for you.

12. gutz47

gutz47 New Member

1911 and single action army. Until star trek blasters hit the market anyway.

13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I can't decide if it's the SS S&W 645,

or the DE44...

14. gollygee

gollygee New Member

When someone says "best pistol", I have to ask for what?

For just fun plinking at the range, I like my GSG 1911-22 - accurate, has the 1911 'look' to it, cycles the cheap Federal bulk ammo fine. Also nice for practicing trigger control for my carry weapon.

Then for some smooooth shooting fun at the range, but with a little more ooomph to it, I like either my Bersa Ultra Compact 9mm or the High Capacity 9mm. Both are accurate, have been absolutely trouble free & a pleasure to shoot.

For concealed carry, my Colt CCO .45. Light, commander length barrel, but officer grips for easy concealment & balances well for 'point & shoot' self defense situations, if ever necessary. Also, while a bit more expensive to shoot, a pleasure to practice with at the range.

I can speak for those because they happen to be what I own & have experience with. I know there are different brands of the same type/style pistols which are just as good, I just don't have experience with them.

15. trip286

trip286 New Member

Phazers man, they're called Phazers...

I'd want one too. They're adjustable from "stun" to "vaporize" with everything in between. You could discipline your child from across the room, or fight off a tank battalion. Too bad they're still fictional, at least for right now.

16. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

My vote would be for the Colt 1911. It was one of the most solid designs of all time and remains so. The 1911 works so well that its design has remained for the most part unchanged for the last 100 years.

17. melensdad

melensdad New Member

I would MOSTLY AGREE with you, but the 1911 has been improved over the years.

The original grip angle is wrong, in fact the grip angle on most modern 1911s is also wrong. There is a reason that Col Jeff Cooper said the mid-70's designed CombatMaster variant 1911 was the lightest kicking 1911 ever designed, much of that had to do with increased the grip angle. Some of it had to do with the dual (and then later triple) captured recoil spring assembly.

The bushingless tapered barrel on the premium guns and the compact guns is an improvement over the original bushing design with the straight barrel.

There have been dozens of other changes over the years, including simple things like reshaping the thumb safety, the sights, etc. Many new patents have been filed as some improvements are more significant than others.

While its yet unproven, the new Detonics MTX 1911 may be the most refined and well thought out 1911 ever produced. 12 round double stack in a grip that is ergonomically shaped and has a smaller circumference than a single stack with standard wood slabs. A grip angle and shape that more closely resembles the Browning HP than a 1911, and directs recoil energy straighter down the arm reducing muzzle flip. Coned/tapered target barrel without the front bushing. Alloy framed milled to .001 tolerances with interchangeable grip lengths.

Yet with all that its still a 1911 operating system with the beautiful 1911 trigger.

18. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

Who doesn't like a pretty picture?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

What a silly question.

20. Jon12312

Jon12312 New Member

Smith and wesson 3914...

Thin, compact, full metal, bobbed hammer.

Attached Files: