Best handgun for around 300 to 400 bucks

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Tlocz916, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Tlocz916

Tlocz916 New Member

Which gun is worth the money besides a glock

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

If you get into used guns then there are several options. Police trade in Berettas, Smith and Wessons, occasionally foreign Police Sigs, etc. Then there would be the same guns just on the regular used market. Ruger has some in that price range.

3. Tlocz916

Tlocz916 New Member

Is the ruger p95 in the same catergory as the glock 17 as in accuracy and realiblilty

4. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

I went shooting last week with a friend that has a p95 and I was not impressed. More malfunctions that I care to count. I never had a fail to feed or eject when I was shooting it but he had a bunch. And then there were a few times the slide didn't hold open after last round. Maybe it was him, or maybe he just got a bad gun...I don't know. But it was bad enough I wouldn't want one.

5. slog

slog New Member

Taurus PT92 (9mm 17rd copy of the 92FS) or Bersa Pro 9mm or 40. Both around $400. Similar design. If you're looking for a striker pistol then the S&W Sigma is a steal at around $300, it's nearly an exact copy of the glock, but heavy trigger.

6. bostonscottkelly

bostonscottkelly New Member

Ruger SR series....SR9c is a great gun & right around $400

7. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

I always have to mention the Sig Sauer SP2022 in either 40 or 9mm can be had just for a hair over $400.

8. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

There are so many variables that are not being accounted for though. For example, what size round are you looking for? What type of firing mech? Metal or poly? New or used? I could go on for awhile, but long story short, certain features/attributes will cost more than others.

Assuming you are looking for one of the "big 3", there are quite a few to choose from. If you don't know this already, that is a very very common price range for most people.

All I can tell you, just from personal experience, avoid Taurus, Bertha, Hi Point and any other deal that may seem too good to be true (because 9 times out of 10 it is).

Let us know more about what you're looking for so we could better assist you. :D

9. slog

slog New Member

I'd agree with that concerning Taurus' new designs, but the PT92 & PT100 are an exception. It's actually more reliable than the Beretta 92FS. For the price, it's one of the best gun deals of the century IMO. Accurate, reliable and hi capacity 9mm (or 40cal). Everything I wanted in a pistol. They also have some decent revolvers. Just stay away from the 24/7 and newer striker Taurus guns.

And Bersa's are too good to be true. I love mine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  10. TaurusUserPT92

TaurusUserPT92 New Member

I have a Taurus pt-92 and absolutely love it. I used to have a sigma chambered in .40 and it was alright. I like the single/double action way better then the dao. The new sigmas supposedly have a lighter trigger pull but I haven't shot one yet

11. slog

slog New Member

I've heard that about the new Sigmas. I bought one of the originals for my father. I don't like DAO, either. Grew up shooting revolvers. Once I tried a DA/SA semi-auto I feel like I'm downgrading with a striker. They have their benefits but I'm pampered by the SA pulls.

12. B5Dan

B5Dan New Member

For $3-$400 I couldn't recommend ANY better than either a Witness Poly or, even better, a Ruger SR9/40. The Witness line is nice, but I ADORE my SR40. Great pistol, conceals nicely, very accurate. I didn't read much above, but ignore the people who say "just save up and get a used Glock/Sig/M&P/etc.", and get a Ruger and a couple hundred rounds

13. slog

slog New Member

I almost forgot about the Witness. I almost bought one of these after trying it out at the local range. They remind me much of a desert eagle. Very beefy. I have big hands and it was comfortable. Shot well from what I experienced.

14. TaurusUserPT92

I'm not a fan of polymer call me old fashioned but I like the feel of metal. Kind of feel like polymers won't hold up as long. I like having something that I know I can pass down to my children when they're old enough

15. jimogden1984

jimogden1984 New Member

My first handgun was a rossi m877, snub nose 357. I think I paid 300 for it and it was pretty easy to conceal

16. slog

slog New Member

I wonder the same thing myself. I wonder how well my polymer frame guns will hold up over time. I plan on passing all my guns down to my kids, and if the composites are going to get brittle after 30 or more years I don't want it flying to pieces when they need to fire it. I try to stay away from composites usually, but I've given into temptation a few times. I bought 4 of the composite AR lowers, which I am still scared of using.

17. TaurusUserPT92

You might even try to find an American tactical import there not too pricey if you can find one. They make an awesome compensated 45

18. B5Dan

B5Dan New Member

I would really like to try one of those. They sure look cool!

19. arashid630

arashid630 New Member

You get what you pay for when it comes to weapons(for the most part) ruger revolvers aren't soo bad but I haven't seen the pistols to e all that great, again it's a matter of opinion. The best thing to do if possible is go out & shoot them(most ranges will rent weapons) & see for your self what you like

20. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Glock ain't that great from a value standpoint when you compare them comparable models from other makers. (Unless of course, you qualify for one of the LEO) discounts. M&Ps & the XD series are noticeably easier on the wallet for the discount challenged .

$400ish or less? Aside from Ruger?
    Stoeger Cougar
    EAA (Tanfoglio) Witness

Taurus will fall into that range as well. I won't recommend them, due to the Taurus "Quality Control Roulette."