Best gun for defense against animals

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Charles20, Jul 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charles20

Charles20 New Member

I recently moved from the suburbs into a more dangerous woodland area. I need a muzzle loader setup for defending myself against animals that pass my way or step near my property border. My setup I am having built for me is 1.5 cal lead ball (with a very large grain black powder charge, more the better.). Percussion cap firing mechanism.

I have not decided for rifling yet as I heard it effects penetration. May need some advice. I am also fixing a bayonet as a backup weapon.

Would my setup slow down a charging wild animal such a coyote or deer, and could you make any more improvements to my setup.

Many thanks! :)

2. Charles20

Charles20 New Member

P.S I would also like it to deliver a punishing blow to an enraged bear. Please tell me some improvements I need to make it more powerful. I am using a steel tube for the barrel.

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you mean an inch and a half projectile?

No offense and none taken

4. Charles20

Charles20 New Member

1.5 cal is the same as a inch and a half diameter ball of lead.

5. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Charles20 - Welcome to FTF.

I live out in the country where there are deer and coyote, they are the least of my worries. Black bear are a slightly different story but they are still not overly aggressive in the East.

What is your gunsmithing background?

Let me assure you, a 1.5 cal. muzzleloader is going to kick your butt, if you charge it with enough powder to move your projectile at an acceptable velocity.

Your best bet in a muzzleloader is to buy a commercially manufactured .50 cal. or .54 cal. rifle.

Others here have smithing experience and will be able to give you better insight, but building any firearm from a "steel tube" not manufactured as a gun barrel is sketchy at best and damn near suicidal.

Best of luck in your new digs!

6. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I am not sure why you want a muzzle loader for a defensive arm, possibly regulations concerning cartridge firearms in your area or something, but a good 12 gauge shotgun is a very effective tool for that job. Slugs and buckshot, are quite effective within their range, not to mention reloading the arm. I also agree that making barrels out of steel which one does not know the properties, is an accident waiting to happen, one can buy commercial barrels up to around .75 to .77 caliber,, I think a .62 caliber is good ML choice,
    a smoothbore you have a shotgun and a ball chunker, just fun.

7. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Welcome Charlie!

Sounds like what your building is a cannon! If your not a Gunsmith and a metallurgist, you should rethink your thoughts of ever firing that thing. A muzzleloader is not generally considered a good choice for an SD weapon against animals, humans or other. Your reload will be a bit shy of in time to prevent what your seeking to prevent.

Ive been a CNY rural rat for almost 55 years, in that time, Ive never had a threat by animals other than suspect coons and a fox or two that acted funny and might have had rabies, (none tested positive but thats the only danger of CNY rural living when it comes to animals). The weapon I have used most to expel, vanquish and or kill varmints to protect the homestead has been by far my little 22 Ithaca single shot. Deer and racoons rarely charge humans and a bayonet mounted on your weapon wont stop a charging deer anyways, you would be crushed and have bambi prints on your forehead! If you have bear issues where you live, a shotgun and some slugs might be handy but for the most part, unless you lure them in with food, they have no interest in your family or home or mankind for that matter!

Dont fear the country Chuck, embrace it, its pretty safe in the lower 49 states, generally less of a threat than suburbs or City living 10 to 1!

8. Charles20

Charles20 New Member

In my state, we don't require a gunsmith license to build a black powder operated firearm. Ammunition is expensive and so is other things, especially when scrap metal is so cheep. The tube will have a wall thickness of 1" or more at 5'5" long(more than most firearms I have seen). I am going to have it made with mild steel with quenching. If I can't find a full length tube I will have to have it welded. I will be sure to have a very large charge to achieve a velocity of over 1200 FPS.

Would my gun be sufficient in making a bear or another wild animal retreat if hit with my firearm?

9. Charles20

Charles20 New Member

Bears are savage hunters, and I think I have the right to blast it back to hell if it steps into my yard. I don't take any chances with vicious predators.

10. MisterMcCool

Even blank cannon fire will run animals off.

11. Charles20

Charles20 New Member

To achieve a decent chance against a bear I will be trying out a 400 grain or so black powder charge. I will be testing the quality of the firearm by shooting it outdoors for quality insurgence reasons.

12. MisterMcCool

That is a great idea!
    How will you aim such a large gun? Will it be mounted? What will the turn radius be? How fast will you be able to maneuver it?

This just became entertaining. :D

13. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I foresee trouble in paradise.

Best of luck with the quality insurgence test.

14. MisterMcCool

Please video it!!!

15. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Aw, geeze, really?

16. Charles20

Charles20 New Member

I know it will be safe as it will have thicker walls than most barrels combined. I just want to know if it will slow down a bear long enough for me to make a quick escape.

17. Charles20

Charles20 New Member

I would but I don't see/use firearms as something for entertainment but rather about practical uses.

18. Charles20

Charles20 New Member

I am arguing with myself whether or not to make rifling for it since it is a trade off for power. I will be aiming it just like you would aim you're .22 rim or any other Walmart purchased firearm.

19. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I'll be damned if I would live somewhere where believed I needed a cannon to defend myself from dangerous animals. Did you move to Jurassic Park?

Man is the most dangerous animal you are likely to have a encounter with and a .44 mag. will do just fine with him. (or nearly any other animal)

Are you ineligible to own a modern weapon?

20. Charles20

Charles20 New Member

I am not making a cannon, I am making a firearm. I don't believe in materialism and would rather something make from love.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.