Best gun for a newbie

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Beezer, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Beezer

Beezer New Member

I'm fairly new to shooting. The one handgun I've shot was a baby Glock .45. I didn't really like it. I'd like to get something not quite a power that is fun to shoot. I'm not necessarily looking for a home defense weapon, just something to enjoy shooting at the range.

Any suggestions on guns I should test next time I am at the range?

2. hoovco

hoovco New Member

A pistol in .22. A box of 500 rds costs like 20 bucks.

3. therewolf

therewolf New Member

A Ruger MK III, or 22/45, with the 6.75" bull barrel.

The Nambu-style slide makes them a perfect

platform for a scope.

They shoot well, and have very little recoil.

Get a Stainless Steel model. You'll thank me

later.

4. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

This is the answer. Get yourself a Mark III and have a whole lot of fun. They are .22 caliber. They won't beat you up and you can shoot them all day long. The ammo is fairly inexpensive, too.

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Everybody needs a 22. That's about the only rule we will all agree upon around here. And if you are looking for something just for fun, there is nothing better.

The Ruger Mk series
    Browning Buckmark
    Ruger SR22
    Smith & Wesson M&P 22

There are so many options.

6. winds-of-change

Here's my Ruger Mark II. A very accurate gun and a whole lotta fun to shoot. This picture is before I dressed it up.

[​IMG]

Here she is fully dressed.

[​IMG]

7. therewolf

therewolf New Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Fun for plinking out to 100 yards...

8. winds-of-change

Yup. She can do it if I do my part.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have to agree with the others on getting a 22 pistol, especially since you are still new to pistols. next to no recoil and much cheaper to shoot than the any centerfire fistol. i too recommend the Ruger Mk series of semi-autos. very easy pistol to master even for a beginner. i have the MK III 22/45 and paid about $279 for mine NIB.

10. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I would suggest mostly what everyone else already has but also buy mainstream. A Ruger Mark III or a Glock are common and you will find all kinds of tutorials online about everything related to them, if you buy some unusual brand or version of something you will have a more difficult time. Also there's probably a reason that the popular guns are popular and in the firearms world its usually more than looks.

If you think its confusing now, just wait until you start considering your first 1911 and start a 10 page thread arguing over which brand is better.

11. Kennydale

Kennydale New Member

I guess .22 are fun. My first firearm was an SR40C (I went out with a friend and shot his collection starting with a .38 revolver, then an LCP, SR9 and his Ruger SR40C. I found the .40 fun and was handling the recoil nicely. I wanted a double duty handgun that would conceal carry well and sit on my nightstand. If target shooting is it for you .22 all the way but if its some sort of defensive handgun I'd look at.38. .380, 9mm and .40. A lot of ranges rent these firearms. I personally wouldn't want to be shot with a .22 but I would rather have at least a 9mm as a main defensive firearm. But that's my opinion.

12. JW357

JW357 New Member

I agree that a .22 is a good way to start.

I'm going to go ahead and say that you should get a revolver in .22 LR, though. Not a semi-auto. Nothing against them, and the ones the others are recommending are quality.

But a decent .22 wheel gun will never be ammo finicky. You can shoot the worst, dirtiest, brands of ammo all day and not have to worry. Should still clean it occasionally, though. Guns like being clean. It makes them happy.

13. Beezer

Beezer New Member

Thanks for all the tips. Looks like the .22 is the way to go.