Best grease to use?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Bo_GA, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Bo_GA

Bo_GA New Member

Completely disassembled my Marlin model 336 30-30 to reblue and thoroughly clean. Everything turned out great but I was wondering what the best grease would be to use on reassembly of the action? Thanks

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Welcome to the forum. We have an "Introductions" area where people usually stop in and say "Hi".

White lithium grease used sparingly.

Or you could do as my friend Bubba. He grabs the grease gun with moly.

3. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

grease you ask? how about just light oil. consult the owners manual to double check but I see nothing that say use grease.....

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Save the grease for your car.

5. MidnightExpress

MidnightExpress New Member

I use Hoppe's No. 9 oil on my 336C, (also 30-30) makes the action cycle extremely smooth. If you really want grease, try Wilson Combat Gun Grease. I use it on some of my semi-auto pistols.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

If you are set on grease, look at STOS (Sport to Sport AKA Slicker Than Owl Sh!t) or Rig lube. I use the Rig lube +P on my stailess steel pistols and it works great. It also works for a resizing lube when reloading.

7. Bo_GA

Bo_GA New Member

Thanks guys, I only asked because when I cleaned everything it already had grease on it. I'm perfectly ok with just using a light coat of oil, just wanted some input on what other guys were using. By the way I also am new to this forum but there is alot of info here and I'm glad I joined. Thanks for your knowledge and time guys

8. RaySendero

RaySendero Member

Most lubrication is best using oil - Although, ther are situations that are best for grease. I use both MiliTec oil and grease:

MILITEC-1 - The ONLY all-purpose synthetic metal conditioner and gun oil

9. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  10. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

Look at SBGO Silver Bullet Gun Oil. 13% pig fat so if you have to shoot a Muslim terrorist they will not have their virgins.

Silver Bullet Gun Oil Production

this stuff is great. it lubes like an oil and sticks like a grease.

11. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

If it slides, grease it.

If it rotates, oil it.

I use moly all purpose grease, and CLP.

12. Bo_GA

Bo_GA New Member

willfully armed...thanks for the input. That's what I was thinking. Great summary