Best firearms magazine?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by 40calcliffy, Jan 11, 2012.

1. 40calcliffy

40calcliffy New Member

I subscribe to 5 firearms magazines ( Guns & Ammo, Shooting Times, Gun Tests, Gun World, and Gun Digest). So far my favorite is Guns and Ammo. Very concise and informative. Give me your opinions and insights.

Thank you.

2. unclebear

unclebear New Member

Not really a gun magazine but does have gun articles in it most of the time along with a boat load of other good things that I read is "The Back Woodsman" most of things it covers when it comes to fire arms are more of the older black powder style but it also has things in there about survival and what not.

3. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I'm leery of G&A nowadays...I'm a subscriber and do enjoy reading it, but I think a LOT of it is paid adverts for manufacturers, under the guise of journalism.

I bought a "Counter Sniper" rifle scope after they first featured it on the cover, and then a couple months later wrote up a positive review in a comparison article that included other TOP brands. Words like "big and tough", as well as statements as to how well it performed the box test. Were mentioned.

Weeks later, I saw the scope in sportsman's guide, with the obligatory "US Military issue" moniker. Long story short, like a dumb @$$ I yanked the Monarch 5-20 BDC and sold it to buy this "military" optic.

The scope is a TOTAL pos...

THANKS G&A!!!

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

Im a fan of the backwoodsman too. The only magazine i sorta like is shotgun news. But thats more for the classifieds than anything.

Typical gun rags do more harm than good in my opinion. Most of the articles are anything but objective.

5. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Yeah me too.. I tried some data they published for the Type 99 Arisaka, and their "minimum" loads were a little too hot... Now my Arisaka is so copper fouled I dont know what to do... Ive scrubbed for days and used so many cleaners to and it hasnt even made a dent in it... and I have a small hairline crack near my bolt handle from trying to extract the stuck brass...

THANKS G&A!! :(

My favorite read? Right here on this forum!!

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

everybody here should be a NRA member. then you get one of their magazines

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I am but they always send me the wrong magazine... Ive asked 5-6 times to send the rifleman mag.. but they just continue to send the hunting one I could care less about... :mad:

8. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Yeah...I get the American Rifleman...but again, the very same issue that they gave the Versa Max shot gun the "shotgun of the year" award, I'll be damned if I didn't roll on a few pages farther and see a huge ad RECALLING them. For some problem that they all apparently had.

I still enjoy the mag tho...just take it all w/a grain of salt.

9. steve666

steve666 New Member

I have subscribed to all of them at one time or another, usually half a dozen at a time. Currently the only one I am subscribed to is Gun Tests, though I get the digital version of Guns, Guns & Ammo, and American Rifleman. This is a letter I sent to one of the gun magazines when I decided not to renew my subscription:

Honest Reviews?
    Let me preface this by saying that I am a lifelong lover of guns and shooting. In my approximately 50 years of shooting I have used every type of firearm, from the smallest of vest pocket pistols thru crew served machine guns. As a result of this experience I am forced to conclude that your writers are the luckiest people in the world. They get to try both the latest and the greatest of firearms and get paid to do it. Also, they apparently have never found a firearm that they didn’t like. If they did they haven’t bothered to mention it to us. I have never seen a quote that is similar to the following: “If you have a choice between ABC MegaBlaster and a rock, choose the rock. It’s cheaper, more reliable, easier to throw, and you don’t need a permit to carry it.” In fact I have never seen a substantially negative statement about any firearm ever reviewed. People rely on your reviews to make informed choices. If all of your reviews are sugar-coated to avoid offending current or potential advertisers you are failing in your duty to your readers. I’m sorry but not all firearms are created equal, some need to be flushed like the c*** they are.
    Sincerely,

10. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Agreed...and good point. Like I said, take 'em with a grain of salt, and you can't go wrong.

That's one interesting avatar there, btw... :)

11. trip286

trip286 New Member

Same here. I feel like I get better information and ideas by talking to actual owners and doers than by reading a magazine that someone is paid to write.

I have never once read a bad gun review in a magazine. Maybe I've missed them, the only subscription I've had is American Rifleman, but I buy others off the shelf sometimes, and have never read a bad review.

12. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

13. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Actually I prefer clips! (sorry I had to... :p)

14. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

....that's just bad! :)

15. nastyogre

nastyogre New Member

I usually read "guns and weapons for law enforcement" because I like to drool over the pics more than anything. I know all the articles are just the standard chrony tests and groups so rarely do i read them all the way through. What I do enjoy is the sections on how to train and also the stories about cops taking out the bad guys. :)

16. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

DANGIT!

And yeah...I get lots of great info from here.

Mjkeat, among others gave me the arguments, pro & con on steel ammo in AR's, for example. I'd never been able to get anything but "NEVER do it!" or "I've not had ANY problems"...which just leaves one wondering both ways.

The good folks here straightened me out on the +/-

17. Tailypoe

Tailypoe New Member

pdmonthly

PERSONAL DEFENSE in an AWESOME read, imo.

18. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I think the FAL magazines are the best. I know they're only 20 rounders, but they're good steel construction and can be found for cheap.

19. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Hey Mos...you might wanna read the OP, and rethink your reply! :p

20. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

Well ****.... Is there a magazine dedicated to FN FAL magazines?:D