Best fiction author reference?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by littlehorn, Sep 4, 2011.

1. littlehorn

littlehorn New Member

I would like to incorporate weaponry into my fiction writing, but I know next to nothing about guns. What book/DVD/website would provide me with the knowledge I need to write action sequences?

Thanks

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

tom clancy is a wonderful weapon/action scene writer. especially his books clear and present danger, rainbow six, a few others. however if you seek to learn there are also books like the encyclopedie of guns. it has a lot of weapons historys, and attributes. however there is so much information on this subject and having hands on exprience shooting is a great way to learn. ask a friend if you can tag along to a range sometime. good luck.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Rather than attempting to develop an encyclopedic knowledge of ALL firearms (How long does that take? Don't know- I'm at 60+ years and still learning) might I suggest that you identify WHICH firearms might be involved in a story line, and study the daylights out of those?

Wordsmiths chop a HUGE hole in their literary boat when they lose their technical accuracy.
    Example- the antebellum novel- "The heady scent of the dogwood blossoms wafted forth on the cool night air..."- but dogwoods HAVE no scent.

Example- "The shooter calmly placed a fresh clip in his Colt revolver."- but there is a difference between a clip and a magazine, and revolvers do not use either one.

In the meantime, we don't mind questions here. Scorn, ridicule and derision are normally reserved for really dumb OPINIONS and poseurs. We may also refer you to some information sources for further edification.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of--but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards. Robert Heinlein, Notebooks of Lazarus Long

4. usmcprofessional

usmcprofessional New Member

i agree with c3. just make sure you get the tecnical down. i hate reading how a guy opens up with a full auto AK but the hero covers behind a car door just in time. damn you hollywood

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

very true... as i finished reading that it something clicked. they are fictional stories right? so why cant a door stop a bullet. hahahahaha

6. c3shooter

J- there is a difference between fiction and fantasy.

For a door that stops center fre rifle bullets, would suggest the door of the vault at the local bank. :p

7. usmcprofessional

because i dont need a door, i got the force fool! what!

8. marklonewolf

marklonewolf New Member

Knowing the weapon being used is the best suggestion and what the Ammo can do. Just look at different guns that are for sale on different sites and what you think look good use it and a writers biggest mistake is not knowing what it even looks like it happens more time that you can imagine.

9. hydrashok

hydrashok New Member

Instead of consulting other works - fiction or non-fiction - it's best to just consult with a "technical advisor" to get your realism down.

I was recently a technical advisor for a movie regarding medical realism and firearms realism. I helped the props guys and the set dressers set up the actors to make the scenes believable.

It's important to make sure your weapons and capabilities "fit". I don't know a single police officer who carries a Hi-Point on duty (although I've come across a few security guards...), and I don't know a single police officer who carries a Desert Eagle .50 cal on duty... although I once met a paramedic who carries one as his daily concealed carry.

I know by first-hand experience that the door on a 1980 Dodge pickup *WILL* stop a .38spl fired at 22 meters away. I also know by first-hand experience that a 7.62x39 will completely penetrate a mobile home... through both exterior walls, two interior walls, and a couch. Based on that experience, I'm pretty sure it'll go through the door on that Dodge pickup.

10. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

where were you for the movie sniper... he made a headshot on a counter sniper from 700 to 1000yrds with a pistol while being shot at. you mean it was fake? lol

11. unclebear

unclebear New Member

personal favorite author Jeff Shaara

12. hydrashok

hydrashok New Member

No, that wasn't fake! I watched that movie and it made me a sniper! :rolleyes:

I was still a kid when that movie was made...

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

14. c3shooter

Robo- I stand corrected. They do indeed.

However, as they say in NY- "Yeah, I gotcha moon right here!" :p

15. littlehorn

littlehorn New Member

Let me clarify

I'd like a book that will teach me the different styles of guns, calibers, and what they are typically used for. Think "Firearms for Dummies." That style and basic level of information.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

c3shooter, if you think dogwoods have no scent, clip a bunch of blossoms and put them in a vase for your lady. She'll let you know real quick they have a scent, in fact they stink really bad. At least the common flowering dogwood.

17. PerpetualStudent

PerpetualStudent New Member

That actually would be a very helpful reference, actually.

Also, most fear is rooted in ignorance. Such a resource may help the cause in our favor.

The Mind is like a Parachute. It only works when it's open.

18. usmcprofessional

hell when you find that let me know, thatd be great to have. the most you could get would be an encyclopedia with factory specks as your reference. be wary of asking for effectiveness and suggestive usage from everybody. ive argued with good ole' boys who say an AK is only accurate at 75 yds and got bullied by a guy in SWAT who said you cant make a shot at 500 yds with an M16A2 combat service rifle with just iron sights. "you need a scope" my ass.

when i write in my book thats why i stay away from modern weapons, i make up my own. come ooooon rail gun. you will be man portable soon enough.

19. redscho

redscho New Member

Check some of the Stephen Hunter Novels. He doesn't mess up too often on his firearm descriptions.

1980: Master Sniper

1982: Second Saladin

1985: Target

1985: The Spanish Gambit

1989: Day Before Midnight

1993: Point of Impact

1994: Dirty White Boys

1996: Black Light

1998: Time To Hunt

2000: Hot Springs

2001: Pale Horse Coming

2003: Havana