Best Factory .357 Hunting (Bear) Ammo

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by diggsbakes, Apr 19, 2010.

1. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Would love some suggestions on .357 hunting ammo. Don't know if I'm gonna be toting a .44 mag on every camping trip this season and the SP101 usually rides everywhere with me, so what are the best .357 mag hunting loads (Bear defense) available from the factory?

I'm extremely comfortable with this firearm and heavy loads. Open the suggestion box!

P.S. I know there's probably a thread somewhere here that addresses this, but I know ya'll are dying to input. :)

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

3. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Guess I coulda found that pretty easily, but then I wouldn't have been keeping us busy. ;)

Maybe I'll alternate them with some heavy soft points in the cylinder and speed-loaders.

4. CA357

I hope to not have to try them, but if I do, they're coming out of my 6" GP100 and should have some punch. ;)

I'll also have my '94 Winchester .30-30, but it isn't much of a bear round, even with 170gr. Hornady Lever-evolution's.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  5. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Would you consider a heavy cast bullet a better defense load against a bear or something like the LeveRevolution's from Hornady?
    I been wondering what would be a good bear defense but just hadnt asked the question.

I've heard you need a good heavy cast bullet that can break through the heavy bone and skin to get to vitals instead of a hollow-point, which makes sense but what about the LeveRevolutions because those are my primary pick 357 and 44 magnums.

6. CA357

I'm not a hunter. Perhaps the hunters here could help. Why don't you post that question in the hunting forum.

Personally, I'm just going by educated guess, since I haven't hunted in more than forty years. I'm going camping, not hunting, but just in case.

7. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Spittinfire has good choice. And that 30-30 lever is going to have a lot more chance of dropping a bear than a .357. The 30-30 is putting out about 1827 ft lbs at the muzzle, a .357 with a hot 158 gr is about 520 ft lbs.

9. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

In my mind if shot placement is generally in the torso or head, then the deep penetration of a hard cast bullet would be desired, if you were to hit the beast in the neck or appendages, then you might want a more expanding bullet. Then again, I'm not much of a hunter, mostly just a shooter.

I'll most likely alternate in the cylinder and hope in the rare case of a dangerous encounter that one of them does the trick. In 20 years of camping/hiking/biking/skiing in the Rockies I've only encountered 2 bears. (knock on wood)

10. CA357

11. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Pretty impressive. Buffalo Bore measures 783 w/ 180 grain bullet. I think both would be "pretty good" if need be, but neither are as ideal as a like .44 mag load.

I like to take a .44 mag carried, along with a shot gun loaded with 00 or 000 buck in the truck, especially if it's just me and the family, but I'm going on one annual trip in June and there sometimes is other folks around, so I'll probably CC the SP101 loaded hot.

Not all share the same frame of mind that our likes do and I'd hate to freak anyone out on their vacation. There's sometimes people from all over the states and I'm sure many haven't ever shot a gun. . . poor things :(

12. CA357

Hoplophobia is everywhere. :eek:

13. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Thanks for the answers guys. I like the CORBON ammo, I figure If I had to I'd use that or Buffalo Bore for bear. I dont like to have a big lever-action rifle on me when I'm hiking so I would rather carry a revolver with hot loads that I can put away in my vest. I mostly hike int he Rockies but there are people around most of the time there. But when I go somewhere like Montana I'll probably be carrying something like 45-70 lever-action, because I've heard moose are mean as hell.

14. crossfire

crossfire New Member

I would not recommend the Hornady 140gr LEVERevolution ammo, period. Check the velocity; it's 1400-1450 fps (from a 6"barrel, not a snubbie) is the same as most any other 140gr factory load. It's only advantage is in a lever action where the added velocity and bullet profile flatten the trajectory. It still pales, (approx. 300 fps slower from a carbine), compared to Buffalo Bore's 158gr load.
    Double Tap 180/200gr or Buffalo Bore 180gr would be much better choices. I can't say about CorBon.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010