Best entry level gun! Completely new to AR's!

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by JayRiceX, Feb 9, 2011.

1. JayRiceX

JayRiceX New Member

Ive been looking at the DPMS Oracle and the Bushmaster Superlight! Im trying to stay around the $800 range for now. Im just trying to see if I enjoy the guns before I make a major investment into one.

I apologize for making one of these posts. I know you guys probably get this alot. But this seemed like best place to ask.

Heres the two im looking at.

DPMS Oracle

Online Store — DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories.

Bushmaster Superlight

Bushmaster - Home Defense & Recreation Rifles

Just want to say thanks for all youre help.

2. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Look at the Vendors here, there are good prices on entry level AR's.

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Do you have an extra $100? If so you can purchase the only AR you'll ever NEED. Now want is an entirely different story. I always seem to find another use that requires purchasing a totaly different style AR.

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

mjkeat, is right... if your budget is $800 for entry level, why not aim your sights a little higher and get all the gun you need. It will cost you a little more but your real investment is research and a lot of it if you don't want to make blunders. If you do your homework there's no reason why your first AR can't be all you need, if not all you want.

Right now is a good time to buy, overall high quality by many manufacturers, good prices and shorter wait times than in the past. I just built an AR that's all I need for about $900 (before optics) with high quality parts and the configuration I wanted.

5. MrMilspecer

MrMilspecer New Member

6. JayRiceX

JayRiceX New Member

Honestly, Im just getting into shooting. And I dont know alot about the guns. I started out with a few handguns. And I went out and shot a friends AR 15 and I had a blast. He owns a DPMS oracel. And I just had an absolute blast shooting the rifle. Im going to buy one on the 18th and I am looking for the best buy for my money. I dont know much about the guns but I want to learn and I want to become a huge fan of the hobby. Im also looking to get into reloading my own ammunition as well.

7. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Listen to the advise in this thread then. Not only will you end up w/ a better rifle you're getting a better value for your money.

It sounds like a standard mid length BCM w/ plastic hand guards and OE collapsible stock would suit you fine. Order the lower and upper separately to safe on taxes.