Best Elk Rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by KaiTheGunGuy, Nov 30, 2011.

1. KaiTheGunGuy

KaiTheGunGuy New Member

I'm new in hunting and someone wants to take me elk hunting, I need to know what is the best, yet affordable elk hunting rifles. And, if possibe, what are some good places to go elk hunting in Oregon or Washington. Thanks

2. jeepster69

jeepster69 New Member

270,308,30-06 are decently priced,,,,, 7mag and up,and the bullets start getting ridiculous,best of luck!

3. NotMormon

NotMormon Member

30-06 OR 300 Winchester Magnum. If you're not going to do much shooting, the cost of ammo shouldn't be much of a concern. Stay away from remington. They pretty much suck these days.

4. elk-acholic

elk-acholic New Member

7mm or a 30 cal are the most popular. Really anything from a 6mm and up will work but the 7mm and up are recommended. Elk and big tough animals. The most important thing over the caliber is shot placement and a bullet thats made for bigger game hunting. Any of these calibers work go for all game not just elk. I recommend browning, savage or tikka. That's just my opinion.

5. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

It depends what kind of area you are hunting. Elk hunting can be over Sage Brush prairies or deep in the Black Timber. My choice for over 50 years has been the .338 Win. Mag. with a 250 grs bullet. This round works well under all conditions and carries a powerful pay load. I also hunt in areas where the Grizzly Bears are a real threat.:)

6. 75370

75370 New Member

I use the 35 Whelen, it's never let me down.

7. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

You nailed it the 338 winny is my choice for elk I use a christensen arms carbon one custom in 338 for all my elk hunts, I shoot handloaded berger vld in it nasty combo there.

8. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Remington rifles suck huh???? Ok I see the point on a 770 but all remingtons, come on wake up, get real

9. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Agreed. There is a reason remington arms is one of the oldest american ran bolt gun companies-they are great guns. Ya they have some bad models but when your as old as them you can afford them ooops models. As to a good gun/caliber....above advice on 7 mm mag and up is prefered is very correct.

10. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Best elk gun if only I could get an ar15 in 338 win mag ohhhhhhhh baby got elk???

11. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Very vague question. As far as rifles it depends on your taste! A lever gun in .45-70 would be great in the forest as would other old low pressure round like the .303 or 6.5x55, all would work for distances out to 300 yards. The .308 also falls into the 300 yard distance category. A 8x57 or .30-06 stretches that to 350..400 yards, all depending on bullet construction. That is the second part. A standard cup and core bullet may not penetrate enough to kill cleanly, it may fragment upon hitting bone. A premium bullet such as a partition would be a better choice. As far as rifles, it is what you are comfortable with. Not all bolt action rifles are the same. You may find one fits better, safety is more familiar to you in location, you prefer the overall operation. Same can be said for any style of rifle. A real big factor is are you recoil sensitive. You can take 3 rifles, all in the same caliber and 1 will beat the snot out of you while the others are fine.
    My choices for Elk:
    Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag, Weaver V10 scope, Barnes 140 or 160gr XFB bullets. Distance gun, 400...450 yard max.

1955 Husqvarna 640 large ring Mauser in 8x57, Basic 3-9x32mm scope w/ side rail mount. This makes useing iron sights very simple. 160 or 180gr Barnes XTB 300..350 yards.

1965 Husqvarna 1600 6.5x55. Strait 4x32mm scope, 160gr RN bonded. 300 yard max. Can remove scope if the OS happens and use irons.

1943 Husqvarna M46a in 9.3x57. Iron sights, 286gr partition. 100 yard max

There are so many options, you need to decide what will work for you.

12. joshfireart

joshfireart New Member

338 win mag shoot and shoot often

13. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

What Rifle as the OP asked???? Why a .338WM?

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

there are many good calibers and rifle choices for elk hunting. a lot will depend on where you plan to hunt, wide open longer distances, or shorter woods and brush? are you willing to put up with a harder recoiling magnum round? do you know anyone who has hunted the same area? maybe they can make some suggestions based on what they hunt with.

15. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Mullemister, you sure know what a real Elk rifle is. A Christensen .338 WOW. Now you are a man of the woods.:D

16. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

No im not, I shot my brothers 300 ultra christensen carbon hunter an loved it so after savin a small mint I got the carbon one custom its a lil more high end than the carbon hunter, I got the 32 inch barrel, the gun is a true tack driver

17. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Hows the killing fields out there? Next question is how badly is your little girl showing up daddy by killin his massive drop tine buck while hes sittin there shakin from the buck aggies?

18. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Dude were sittin in the camper right now wind blowin like hell, snow blowin like hell, but we got our deer this morning she smoked that big drop tine at 224 yards 1 shot usin her x7l 270 , leupold vx3. She said dad I would love to take that buck, im a sucker for my daughter so she got the first shot an a home run at that, that buck will go every bit of 190 if not into the low 200 score. I took a 26 inch heavy mass, 5x6 , prob a 160 inch buck maby go 170. So snow an all today was awesome

19. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Uh huh sure admit it you were shakin to bad;) congrats though. Pics are required though

20. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I try to post a pic but cant. I think its my phone I cant view other pics that others post so dont know. As far as shaking no that went away yrs ago, shakin today hell yes it was frickin cold