best double stack .45acp 1911?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Crazvet, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I'm down to a XDM 5.25 .45 or a double stack 1911 for my next purchase. I'm looking mostly at the Rock Island's now because I wanna keep it under a grand, I'm kinda unsure of the ATI's(just don't know enough). If money wasn't a thing I would only consider American made 1911(being a Army OIF vet) but I hear almost entirely good about the Rock Island's. As far as "want" factor the Para Black Ops has my vote, if I could find one used at or under a grand.

2. gunny91

gunny91 New Member

A rock island is a good 1911 plus there's so much custom work u can do to it to make it run just as well and look just as good as a para

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Firearms Talk mobile app

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Going down the list, my preferences are:
    STI
    Para-Ordnance
    RIA

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I started to mention the STI 2011's, but they will exceed the budget presented.

5. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

Thx I would definitely jump on a STI if I found a used one within my budget.

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

You would likely have to meet a financially strapped owner needing to sell in a hurry to get one under a grand. The only used STI I have ever seen up close and personal is the Spartan I bought new.

7. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

I have a Para P14-45 that I purchased in 94 that has not given me any problems and is quite accurate.

I can't say it's (para) the best double stack on the market since I have no experience with the other two on your list,but the P14-45 has been trouble free now for 20 years.

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

I've got quite a few 1911 mostly colts, like em a lot but in the double stack world its a total skip. Get the xdm its a no brainer.

9. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

Plz explain, other then a larger magwell double stacks are all 1911.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

They tend to have reallllly big fat grips and are harder to control firing. They also tend to have issues with magazine problems. Weight is a huge factor.

The xdm has none of these tendencies and is a damn accurate ultra reliable fast shooting handgun.

Just because its a 1911 pattern doesn't mean its problem free. There is a big reason colt and springfield have never bothered doubling up a 1911. The platform just doesn't lend itself to that style.

Just giving my perspective. I also have two xdm one compact one 4.5 both in 45acp.

Not all double stack 1911 are bad or junk they just tend that direction. Means your chances of getting a bad one are somewhat higher. But the xdm gives a regular single stack a hard time and is just a better all round gun than any double stack 1911.

I've owned them before and the xdm beats em no question.

Do what ya want just giving my opinion and experience

11. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

Thx I appreciate the insight, I think overall the XDM 5.25 will end up being my go to gun for range, home defense and occasional carry(open carry of course). Then I'll save til I can afford the 1911 of my dreams.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you go 1911 the best ones are single stack.

13. AR10

AR10 New Member

On the shopping list, why no Glock 21 or 30?

Anyone wanting a seriously good pistol in a double stack configuration in .45ACP has to get some range time in with a Glock.

I am on my 2nd G21 in 20 plus years, and the G21 was why I sold a pistol I dearly loved, a Star PD, because of its capacity limitations.

14. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

I've owned a few Glocks, not my cup of tea. My girlfriend carries a G19 she loves it, I lean to the XD line and of course the 1911.

15. JW357

JW357 New Member

Then you ought to get a forum name change. ;)

16. PhilmyGlock

PhilmyGlock New Member

Haven't shot one, BUT the Para Black Ops 14.45 looks pretty bad-ass. I've held a few Para double stacks and they feel good to me. I'm a Glock 21 guy for the past 15 years and love it cuz I've put A LOT of rounds through it, but to each his own. BTW...have you seen the long awaited intro of the Glock G41 - long-slide .45 acp? I too have a XD long slide .45, but don't really like it.

Anyway, is $100-$200 really gonna stand in your way from getting the Black Ops? Come on. I just saw one new on Gunbroker for under a grand. If you're willing to spend close to a grand, keep looking and get the one you really want, rather than settling on something else to save $100.

17. DynoGuy

DynoGuy New Member

I just picked up a new Para-USA 1911 Expert (all steel & made here in the USA, Charlotte, NC to be exact), cost me $650 +tax at my LGS. This thing shoots very well, take a look at it.

18. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Sorry Jon,But Springfield does make a double stack 1911 A1,and it's a great weapon. I've had mine for a long time,and have had a bunch of work done to it,but it was a fine shooting pistol before I did anything to it.
    Para Ordnance makes several different frame sizes in a double stack mag configuration,and I also own a Para Tac Four 1911.It's also a fine weapon,and very reliable.
    The only magazines that I've ever had problems with are the aftermarket brands. Both the Springfield and Para use Para Ordnance factory magazines,and they function perfectly in both of mine.

That's your opinion,and everyone has their own. I like both Single and Double stack 1911's.

[​IMG]

19. Pasquanel

Pasquanel Proud to be an American Supporter

I have a Para P-10 in SS and its one of my absolute favorites and one I carry most often.
    I have no problem with the double stack in fact I think it makes the perceived recoil considerably less.

20. k9guy

k9guy New Member

I own a para black ops it is a great weapon they are pricey though

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk