Best 'defensive' 22lr ammo. For semi auto rifle

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Pjj342, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

I am thinkin about picking up a ruger 10/22. They are a great rifle with cheap hi cap mag options, which is a big reason I want one. Since I wont be able to hunt with it (livin in PA), then I figure it needs to be as defensive as possible. Something for my wife to be able to rap off 25 shots at once if needed.

So it basically comes down to ammo. Ive heard about some really fast newish 22lr loads out there, but I dont think I should go with a hollow point. Id think penetration would be most important in an SD scenario with a 22lr. I will have 25rds at the ready, since with something this small you are going to need to make multiple hits, most times.

I just wanted to see what you guys thought about this and what kinds of ammo you would use.

BTW, this is not going to be my go to SD gun, we each have a 9mm for that. This rifle will just be a plinker, but I want it ready for action in that rare case it would be needed.

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

CCI Stingers
    Remmington Yellow Jackets

3. orangello

orangello New Member

The ones that can be aimed at the proper soft spots; perhaps a lazer or optic of some kind would be beneficial. Do they make a bayonet for the 10-22?

4. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

I swear Ive seen a bayonet for one somewhere.

Any links to test videos or other info would be awesome.

Im hearing about 60gr subsonics, but they only go like 650fps, which is a little slow. A heavier bullet might make a big difference though, or maybe a fast 40gr round nose.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

A big dog and use the $ for dog food. Get her a good old fashioned hat pin. A .22lr for self defense?

6. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Shud- They make everything else for the 10-22 :D

7. somawas

somawas New Member

If you want to keep a 10/22 loaded with a high capacity magazine for "backup" home defense, I'd consider loading the magazines with CCI's 40 gr Segmented Copper Plated Hollow Points if they'll cycle in the 10/22- I've got two of them and the afore mentioned CCI's will cycle on a satisfactory basis in my near-stock 10/22, but not well in my 10/22 target gun. I suggest the CCI segmented .22 ammo because of what it does when I bust pest squirrels- they penetrate well. The effect is multi through-shot exit wounds at 25 feet.

For the stock, Pjj342, check out Cheaper Than Dirt. They sell the Promag Archangel Ruger 10/22 Stock Black Includes Buttstock Picatinny Rail Bayonet
    http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2PMAA556R-1.html

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  8. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I have a lot of squirrels on my place- non of them are "pests" :confused:

[​IMG]

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The hollow point will work with a rifle but not a pistol. I have a M&P 15-22 set up for my wife. It has a laser and a 1.5-6x scope with a lit reticle. I tried it out yesterday and at 8 yards with the laser it is deadly. The scope is left on 1.5x and is set at 25 yards. you can keep both eyes open on low power and it is not battery dependent. The 10-22 can be set up the same way. If you have a barrel band, it can be replaced with one that has mounting bases on it to take a laser. Test the rifle with the loads you are going to use. It has to be 100% reliable. The M&P choked on Velocitors and I have not had a chance to check out the other super loads. Hers is loaded with 38 grn hollow points that have been tested for reliability. Test the magazines too. The new Ruger made 25 rnd mags are the best I have seen. Do not use mags with plastic lips.

10. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I've got a couple of bricks of the Remington Yellow Jackets laid back for this use.

The .22lr ammo clasification that they fall in is called Hyper-Velocity with a speed around 1550 fps at the muzzle. Despite being very fast, I haven't found one brand in particular that is very accurate in either of my 10/22's though.

On the other hand, Federal 550 Bulk Pack ammo from Walmart has a velocity of around 1,250 fps at the muzzle using a 36gr hollow point and give me very good accuracy. Considering the BIG difference in price between the Bulk Pack and the Hyper-Velocity ammo, I think I'll stick with the Fed. 550. :cool:

Here's an interesting ammo test report you may enjoy reading:

.22 Ammunition Trials

ETA: If you want Hyper-Velocity ammo with a 36gr. solid go with the the Remington Viper:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/41059-5.html#Reviews

11. zpatatus

zpatatus New Member

Personally I don't think it makes much difference what round you use in a 22 rifle for defense. Most are high velocity anyway except for target (standard velocity) or the hyper velocity (like Stingers or Yellow Jackets). If you have to use a 22 just keep shooting. I would use whatever feeds the best.

And yes, a 10/22 with a bayonet would be my go to rifle for zombies...

[​IMG]

12. northhike

northhike New Member

I just don't get why some folks think the .22lr is not a adequate defense round. Optimal....no I agree with that 100%. Then again a 45 pistol may not be as optimal as a 12 guage. In military use the .22lr has been used to depart quite a few people from this earth (both home and abroad).:confused:

As I said there are other choices for optimal fire power, but I challenge anyone who feels its not an adequate round to step up to the stage and take a few hits.:eek:

13. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

looks like dinner waiting to happoen for me ;)

14. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I agree. The .22lr is not optimal, but you can put more rounds on target faster with a .22 than anything else.

15. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

I have two 9mms(ruger p95[124+Pgold dot] and sr9c[124+p ranger t]) at the ready, a 20 guage[21in bbl#2buckshot] and a fully converted saiga ak47[sapson 8m3 124grhp].

In short, the 10/22 WILL NOT be the primary weapon of choice. Just a maybe in a long list of 'I hope nots'.
    Just wanted to clear that up.

16. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

I completely agree, This is more for research than anything else. I just want to know what ammo you guys would reccomend for high capacity 22 rifle. I would consider 3 or 4 rounds that can hit their target very quickly as a hell of a deterent. If you had to get a few 22 rounds dug out of your chest after you tried to rob that house, youd probably think twice before breaking in to the next one.

Although, the first rounds would not be from a 22.

17. Pjj342

Pjj342 New Member

I appreciate all the good info, and i see im not alone in my thinking.

Now what Im wondering is, hollow point or round nose? In using such a light bullet at such 'slow' speeds(for bullet weight that is), would you think that an hp would prevent precious penetration? Or would you think that a round nose doesnt do enough for an effective stop. This is what Im torn on.

With a 22lr, multiple hits seems to be a must(in most cases). But what difference does an hp make at a max deformation of .35", over a round nose that deforms very little but may tumble and cause a different type of damage? This is the type of logic Im seeking.

Ive wanted a 22 for a long time, just for fun and cheap shooting. But there is no reason that it cant be a well thought out piece of my home defense colllection.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  18. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I keep CCI Mini-mags in my safe. I figure it would be a pretty good all purpose round, and several of those would likely ruin the day of any miscreant.

19. mtmagwhenindout

mtmagwhenindout New Member

My personal preference is cci stinger hollow points out of 25 rounds even if you only put 5 of them on target it's going to penetrate enough that the person will be having a very bad day

20. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I quess I would be different and use cci mini-max solids Get one of rugers 25 round mags for it. and see what 8 or more quickly fire rounds will do.