Best Deer Gun

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by gunguy453, Jul 5, 2007.

1. gunguy453

gunguy453 New Member

What is the best gun to use for deer hunting?
    What else besides the 30-30 would be good?

Thanks

2. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Any thing from 6mm up and shotguns with slugs. No real answer, it depends on what you want to use.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

That is alot like asking what the best color is or which is the best pick-up truck. You will get more answers than you could ever imagine. It all depends.

4. gopher

gopher New Member

Agreed with the above ..
    Down here (lowcountry SC) with dogs running the deer a Rifles no good
    Not only will you probly miss( yea yea always a DBoon out there)
    you may Kill the stander next to you. 12ga and Buck shot in the
    most used . Add more detail to your Question and youll get a better answer

5. Bear_Down

Bear_Down New Member

I prefer the .223 or the 270. They will kill them cleanly with out blowing the snot out of half the deer. a nice 25-06 is nice to.

6. my21SF

my21SF New Member

lol

are you trying to start a fight or what..lol...ok seriously the 30-06 is magical in the hands of a competent shooter,but so is the 270,and the 308,,,these 3 have and the 30-30 have killed more deer than the plague.find the one you like and practice,practice..try different ammo brands also,some guns have diff tastes,,good luck

7. Duck

Duck New Member

I've been shooting a Ruger M77 Mark II in .270 since about '92. I've killed a lot of deer and hogs with it and have no complaints. The 30-06 is also a very good choice. Over the past 2 years, my dad (a hardcore 06 fan) and grandpa (shot a .270 for years) have been shooting the .350 Rem Mag and say that it is the best deer rifle ever made. It sounds like a monster, but it really doesn't mess the meat up any worse than the other two. The only exception is if you hit heavy bone, like a hog's shoulder. It destroys the bone and basically turns it into shrapnel.

8. Bidah

Bidah New Member

A bow and arrow.... no wait, you said a rifle.. :)

Depends on the country you are hunting (as was already stated), and what size of deer.

Best rifle? The one that you know how to shoot and are confident with. I have hunted with .223, .243, .308 and .30-06. All worked very successfully.

-Bidah

9. Dutch

Dutch New Member

List is too long to mention. Basically you just go out and buy a firearm that feels good and fits your budget. I recommend you consider the ammunition costs and make sure that fits your budget as well. Practice is the key to hitting your target. The firearm is almost secondary.

10. Pistol City GunDawgs

Pistol City GunDawgs New Member

Here in Indiana this will be the first year we are allowed to hunt with a rifle, and only if they are chambered in a legal pistol caliber, 357, 44, 45LC, to name a few. So from my neck of the woods Id have to say historically speaking anything that will propell a sabot.

11. Dutch

Dutch New Member

Man, that's strange. Is the population density that great in indiana?

12. 1984cj

1984cj New Member

The best deer Hunting rifle is the one that you can shoot accurately and is legal for your game.
    I like a 45-70 Lever action or a Falling block .45-70 for woods hunting or shots less than 150 yards. I like a .30-06 for longer open shots. There seems to be a plethora of ammunition varieties available for the .30-06.
    This year I am going to try out a 7x30 Waters (.30-30 brass necked down to take a 7mm bullet)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  13. Gearguy10

Gearguy10 New Member

I've hunted deer with a 12ga. 3" slug, .30-30, .270, and .30-06. Hands down I prefer the .30-06. The .30-06 is the only one that seems to drop them on the spot. (the 3" slug will too, but not at the distances the .30-06 will reach.

I love my Browning BAR Safari .30-06 and wouldn't trade it for anything.

14. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

Whatever YOU shoot best and feels best in your hands. I love my Remington 7600 pump in 30-06. The next guy might hate it. My son's Savage 110 in 30-06 is nice too but I prefer my Rem. Very personal thing, I guess.

15. yellolab94

yellolab94 New Member

My first deer I shot was with a swiss k-31, 7.5x55 (.307), not bad for a WW2 rifle!

16. wagonwheel

wagonwheel New Member

the 30-30 is a great gun. i love my Win. model 94. it is a great brush gun for stalking. but i would use a .270 for any North American big game. call me crazy, but i have that much faith in my .270.

17. gunsandoptics.com

gunsandoptics.com New Member

My number one choice would be .308 Win using 150 grain Win PP. My Savage weather warrior is a tack driver with that load, easy to carry, quick to point, hits hard.

Other good choices would be 30:06, .270 Win, 7M-08, .35 Rem in a lever action or TC Encore handgun, .270 WSM, 7MM Mag, 7X57, .280 Rem, .260, to name a few. Dan

18. McNabb11b

McNabb11b New Member

My first deer rifle was a .243. It is a good kids gun and will likley drop a deer with no problem. Anymore I usually carry the 06 but have been entertaining the idea of using a .44 Mag. handgun. Try something new.

19. Mitya Karamazov

Mitya Karamazov New Member

Man , all those are great deer guns , but I like what jeepejeep said , whatever feels best and you can shoot confidently is the right choice { long as it's legal} ,, the last 5 seasons I have harvested deer with my Marlin 1894 .44 mag , quite happily , though I have an old H&R Topper 158 in .30-.30 that my bro-in-law found for me that I have been thinkin about tryin pretty hard.

20. reyflete

reyflete New Member

best deer rifle

mauser k98 custom in 30-06 will kill anything that roams the earth I love this gun one shot one kill I dont need no super short fatty magnum just a good ol'
    -06 I can even buy ammo at kmart for it!![​IMG]

now let the bashing begin!!!