Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Any thing from 6mm up and shotguns with slugs. No real answer, it depends on what you want to use.

·
Premium Member
11,374 Posts
That is alot like asking what the best color is or which is the best pick-up truck. You will get more answers than you could ever imagine. It all depends.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That is alot like asking what the best color is or which is the best pick-up truck. You will get more answers than you could ever imagine. It all depends.

Agreed with the above ..
Down here (lowcountry SC) with dogs running the deer a Rifles no good
Not only will you probly miss( yea yea always a DBoon out there)
you may Kill the stander next to you. 12ga and Buck shot in the
most used . Add more detail to your Question and youll get a better answer

·
Registered
41 Posts
I prefer the .223 or the 270. They will kill them cleanly with out blowing the snot out of half the deer. a nice 25-06 is nice to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
lol

are you trying to start a fight or what..lol...ok seriously the 30-06 is magical in the hands of a competent shooter,but so is the 270,and the 308,,,these 3 have and the 30-30 have killed more deer than the plague.find the one you like and practice,practice..try different ammo brands also,some guns have diff tastes,,good luck

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've been shooting a Ruger M77 Mark II in .270 since about '92. I've killed a lot of deer and hogs with it and have no complaints. The 30-06 is also a very good choice. Over the past 2 years, my dad (a hardcore 06 fan) and grandpa (shot a .270 for years) have been shooting the .350 Rem Mag and say that it is the best deer rifle ever made. It sounds like a monster, but it really doesn't mess the meat up any worse than the other two. The only exception is if you hit heavy bone, like a hog's shoulder. It destroys the bone and basically turns it into shrapnel.

·
Registered
212 Posts
A bow and arrow.... no wait, you said a rifle.. :)

Depends on the country you are hunting (as was already stated), and what size of deer.

Best rifle? The one that you know how to shoot and are confident with. I have hunted with .223, .243, .308 and .30-06. All worked very successfully.

-Bidah

·
Registered
40 Posts
What is the best gun to use for deer hunting?
What else besides the 30-30 would be good?

Thanks
List is too long to mention. Basically you just go out and buy a firearm that feels good and fits your budget. I recommend you consider the ammunition costs and make sure that fits your budget as well. Practice is the key to hitting your target. The firearm is almost secondary.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here in Indiana this will be the first year we are allowed to hunt with a rifle, and only if they are chambered in a legal pistol caliber, 357, 44, 45LC, to name a few. So from my neck of the woods Id have to say historically speaking anything that will propell a sabot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here in Indiana this will be the first year we are allowed to hunt with a rifle, and only if they are chambered in a legal pistol caliber, 357, 44, 45LC, to name a few. So from my neck of the woods Id have to say historically speaking anything that will propell a sabot.
Man, that's strange. Is the population density that great in indiana?

·
Registered
296 Posts
The best deer Hunting rifle is the one that you can shoot accurately and is legal for your game.
I like a 45-70 Lever action or a Falling block .45-70 for woods hunting or shots less than 150 yards. I like a .30-06 for longer open shots. There seems to be a plethora of ammunition varieties available for the .30-06.
This year I am going to try out a 7x30 Waters (.30-30 brass necked down to take a 7mm bullet)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've hunted deer with a 12ga. 3" slug, .30-30, .270, and .30-06. Hands down I prefer the .30-06. The .30-06 is the only one that seems to drop them on the spot. (the 3" slug will too, but not at the distances the .30-06 will reach.

I love my Browning BAR Safari .30-06 and wouldn't trade it for anything.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Whatever YOU shoot best and feels best in your hands. I love my Remington 7600 pump in 30-06. The next guy might hate it. My son's Savage 110 in 30-06 is nice too but I prefer my Rem. Very personal thing, I guess.

·
Registered
17 Posts
the 30-30 is a great gun. i love my Win. model 94. it is a great brush gun for stalking. but i would use a .270 for any North American big game. call me crazy, but i have that much faith in my .270.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My number one choice would be .308 Win using 150 grain Win PP. My Savage weather warrior is a tack driver with that load, easy to carry, quick to point, hits hard.

Other good choices would be 30:06, .270 Win, 7M-08, .35 Rem in a lever action or TC Encore handgun, .270 WSM, 7MM Mag, 7X57, .280 Rem, .260, to name a few. Dan

·
Registered
516 Posts
My first deer rifle was a .243. It is a good kids gun and will likley drop a deer with no problem. Anymore I usually carry the 06 but have been entertaining the idea of using a .44 Mag. handgun. Try something new.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Man , all those are great deer guns , but I like what jeepejeep said , whatever feels best and you can shoot confidently is the right choice { long as it's legal} ,, the last 5 seasons I have harvested deer with my Marlin 1894 .44 mag , quite happily , though I have an old H&R Topper 158 in .30-.30 that my bro-in-law found for me that I have been thinkin about tryin pretty hard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
best deer rifle

mauser k98 custom in 30-06 will kill anything that roams the earth I love this gun one shot one kill I dont need no super short fatty magnum just a good ol'
-06 I can even buy ammo at kmart for it!!

now let the bashing begin!!!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts