Best concealed carry pistol?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Jer, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

I carried and regularly shot a .357 mag security six as my personal edc for most of my young adult life.
    After it 9mm 40 , 45, .

I didnt start using ear protection until around 2007 except a few times to qualify where they furnished it.

I cant see for poop but I can hear a mouse pass gas lol. Go figure.

2. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

And cause abortions of all his childten.

Messy though. Rather just vaporize em all with 125 sjhp 357 mag

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

After that one experience, I’ve been a pretty religious believer in ear protection for range work. My hearing was always above average on audiograms in the Navy until about 2 years before I retired.
    I started getting attacks that began with a sharp ringing in my Right ear accompanied by a practically paralyzing bout of vertigo, and vomiting.

Attacks got more frequent and more severe for months. The ringing in my right ear never stopped. The attacks come and go in waves getting less severe and less frequent, then more frequent and more severe. They ultimately diagnosed it as Ménière’s disease. Eventually the attacks are supposed to stop, and I will have whatever level of permanent hearing loss it leaves me with in the right ear. The ringing will never stop.

So after years in the Navy at sea without ever getting seasick and protecting my hearing consciously, the irony is that I get seasick on land and will lose a good chunk of my hearing in spite of it all.

primer1 and Ghost1958 like this.
  4. SSGN_Doc

Actually my preferred .45 for carry isn’t a 1911. I like 1911s but, have different preferred features for carry.

[​IMG]

towboater and Ghost1958 like this.
  5. Maineiak

Maineiak Active Member

45, 9mm, and 380
    IMG_0981.jpg

towboater likes this.
  6. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

I am currently going through a VA claim for my hearing. As part of my case I went to an independent audiologist who doesn't know my history (I was a 13B Field Artillery Cannon Crewman). For a second opinion to give the VA.

We went through the hearing and tinnitus test and he sat me down to show me the results and pointed on the chart to a dip that he calls a hearing notch.

He explained to me very clearly and very thoroughly that the notch was caused by noise exposure. He said that in normal hearing loss the curve just kind of goes down gradually but my case for it to go down, drop off and then come right back up indicates noise exposure.

He also told me that it is permanent and progressive. Which means that I will eventually become deaf.

I'm sitting here typing this and my ears are ringing so loud it hurts. I was actually sitting at work one day when a fault alarm sounded on the fire alarm control panel. After a minute my coworker looked at me and asked "Do you not hear that alarm?" I told him I thought is was my tinnitus. (Tru story bro).

I can't enjoy music, I can't use a phone, My TV is set to Closed Caption by default. My wife has given up on repeating herself to me.

Wear your damn hearing protection. Wear your damn hearing protection. Wear your damn hearing protection

1stnamebassist, primer1 and SSGN_Doc like this.
  7. SSGN_Doc

VA doesn’t compensate much for tinnitus, around 10%, but it could get you fully covered for hearing aids, which, have gotten pretty high tech, and also quite expensive.

In my case, unless I’m having attacks consistently more than 2 times a month, resulting in time off of work, it doesn’t count for much either.

8. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

met w/hearing doc after the audiologist got thru with the test and he just reached over the pamphlet rack, pulled out the tinnitus one, handed it to me stating...

"at your age i wouldn't expect anything less - its normal!"

there are two holes in his ceiling where my head hit it first after his comment then his did when i point blank discussed his medical degree or lack therein! then told him i was advising my insurance to pay his bill..they didn't!

fool didn't even tell me what my results showed...

thanks...will check on that tomorrow cuz i'm curious!

9. Nmwabbit

Nmwabbit Well-Known Member

my personal advice to those who inquire...

no revolvers

carry what you feel comfortable...including a 22 pistol...especially if it fits and they then want to practice with their SD firearm

10. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Well-Known Member

Yeah I got zero for my hearing 10 for my tinnitus. I am supposedly supposed to get $200 a month but since I took a separation bonus they have to deduct that from my benefits payment so I should receive my first check from the VA the week after my 192nd birthday.

I am going to hit them up for some hearing aids though

JTJ and SRK97 like this.
  11. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL X 10000!:rolleyes: The learning curve to be SAFE, and EFFECTIVE with a semi auto is 4 to 5 times that of a revolver, so unless you want to spend 4 to 5 time the time and money to 'enter' the CC/SD arena GET A REVOLVER!:) If you are a 'shooter', use the weapon you shoot the best, with the best modern SD ammo, THAT YOU WILL CARRY EVERYDAY. :) This not rocket science, but some good old common sense is advisable.;)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    primer1 and Ingramite like this.
  12. Donn

Donn Well-Known Member

Seriously? Some are better with revolvers than they are with autos. OP might be one of them, (MHO? You should be able to run both with equal skill). If you're proficient with a wheelgun, which includes practicing stress reloads, 5 or 6 shots on target beats the socks off filling the sky with 15 or 20 and getting one or two hits, maybe.

freefall, primer1 and JimRau like this.
  13. NDMarksman

NDMarksman Active Member Supporter

With or W/O the lime :D

14. NDMarksman

ROTFLMAO !!!!!! Nailed it !!!!

oO_Rogue_Oo and Rifling82 like this.
  15. NDMarksman

My favorite cc would be a hand grenade but my LGS stopped carrying them LOL

Rifling82 likes this.
  16. NDMarksman

Wood Grips Left Side View #1-RR.jpeg My favorite cc all day any day............

17. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

That’s purdy. I likey

Rifling82 likes this.
  18. Ingramite

Ingramite Well-Known Member Supporter

20200321_150033_resized (2).jpg
    Here is a little pocket jewelry.
    Jim Russell engraved .32acp

Oaktree45, towboater and primer1 like this.
  19. Ingramite

Colt Government XSE.jpg
    Ole Scratchy wearing some stag grips.

primer1 and towboater like this.
  20. Ingramite

PT92 polished.jpg
    Another waistband gat that I pack around.