Best concealed carry pistol?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Jer, Feb 20, 2020.

1. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Don’t get me wrong about the .45. I don’t have a problem with anyone carrying it. I have a few .45 ACP pistols and will occasionally carry a Sig P220 (just a bit lighter than my 1911s and functions like my other primary carry pistols (DA/SA with decocker).

But when folks want to hype the .45 like it is some kind of major force multiplier, I have to chuckle a bit inside. Seen folks shot with a few calibers from handguns. (9mm, .38, .380, .45, and .22). With the exception of the .22, not much difference in trauma. The .22 rounds were better placed, with hits to the neck, that nicked the left carotid artery. That patient came in unconscious.

The others, surgeon patched up pretty quick except for one shot with 9mm, but he had taken a liver hit, a kidney nick, a hit through the right hand and another through the left thigh. He was also brought in unconscious. Actually ended up losing the left leg a few days later, because of the arterial damage and inability to restore adequate blood flow to the leg.

.38 shot victim, hit in the buttocks. He was very awake, very loud, very dramatic.

.380, hit twice in the abdomen. Agitated, but alert. Walked to the street to catch a cab to bring him to the field hospital.

.45 victim, hit in the left upper arm, into the chest wall, with the bullet skidding along a rib and stopping under his shoulder blade. A second shot in the abdomen. He ran from the local police. Then got picked up by other law enforcement (French cops with UN law enforcement support) and brought to us to stabilize. He was alert, fairly calm.

Caliber didn’t seem to make much difference, but the anatomical structures affected, did.

(Haiti was an interesting place to work in a field hospital.)

Oldoutlaw, towboater, JTJ and 3 others like this.
  2. CMAB2SA

CMAB2SA Active Member

Placement of the round is ultimately what matters and the type of round, ie a good self defense round.

22 to 45, I don't want any part of them hitting my body.

Nice post!!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020

3. SSGN_Doc

I don’t either. I do have a Beretta 21a in .22. I like it for its size, and when I bought it, there weren’t a bunch of pocketable .380 pistols on the market.
    Nowadays I favor a center fire cartridge for reliability, as reliability is one of the greater priorities to me in a carry pistol.

With that said, in the few decades I’ve owned that 21A I think I’ve had fewer failures to fire and function than I can count on one hand, with a lot of rounds down range through it.

But I use it now, mostly just for range fun and as a little backpack pistol, because a small light .22 is still handy to have sometimes.

also a .22 is not in the caliber range I consider for self defense, because the round# don’t have a track record of getting deep enough to reliably strike vitals and cause enough blood loss even if I put them onto the area I want to hit.

So, .380 is about as low as I go for carry.

4. Kenneth V Horton

Kenneth V Horton New Member

I bought the S&W Shield ez, 380 for my CC, also have the Beretta as my pocket gun! Both are excellent, but the .380 is good round for CC, IMHO

5. Donn

Donn Well-Known Member

No offense to the OP, but it's like asking who makes the best truck. 10 guys, 10 differing opinions. To the question, I'm partial to the S&W M&P platform, it's all I carry, usually a Shield, either 9mm or 45acp. That said, find what fits you best and get proficient with it, regardless what brand name's on the slide.

sandog and JimRau like this.
  6. Ingramite

Ingramite Well-Known Member Supporter

The beauty of the .45acp is that you will never hear someone say " it's almost as good as____" You can fill in the blank of every single defense round that has been compared to the .45 over decades.

What all of these guys are telling you is to start at the hind end and work forward.
    They all say, "pick a gun you can conceal"l. The correct way to approach this problem is by beginning with a pistol that you can shoot well. Then learn how to conceal that pistol. Choose a caliber that you won't doubt or wonder about. Don't choose a round that's "almost as good as a .45".

Next, just pick up a 1911.
    That right there ought to remove all doubt. It feels right in your hand. It points naturally. It has 3 safeties. It is an inch or less slim, perfect for waistband carry. Did I mention the trigger? No, I didn't because I don't even have to tell you that a 1911 trigger is the trigger that all else are compared to.

The 1911 comes in various barrel length. I pack a Colt (real handgun) Defender in my right front pocket. I also have a Sig Ultra that I carry the same way. I have a Sig C3 which is a 4.25" barrel on an officer frame. Then there is the Sig Fastback Carry which is a stainless steel Commander with a round butt. Follow that up with a couple of Government size pistols with 5" barrels.

Each of these pistols is a work of art. Beautiful to pick up and hold or to just look at.
    See, that's the thing, esthetic value and worth. Each one a legend that I'll be proud to leave to my sons....Can you say the same thing about some piece of plastic?

Like most, the OP will probably have to sort out all of this stuff on his own. Spend wasted money on cheap junk until the light comes on.

I do understand that posting a picture of a 1911 IS an unfair advantage....

Defender with laser grip.jpg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  7. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

I carry my Kimber Compact (4"bbl on Officer frame) a lot.

Ingramite likes this.
  8. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Well-Known Member

Try and find a range that rents guns try a few out. Glock 19 is a good starting point. They are fairly idiot proof,cheap to shoot, cheap mags, tons of olster options and easy to conceal while large enough to shoot comfortably.
    Also make sure to buy a quailty holster/belt----poor quaility holster&belts make carrying anything uncomfortable and a chore.

9. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

WRONG!!! A 45 is ALMOST as good at stopping the fight as a 357 Mag.:) And, with modern SD ammo, the 45,40, and 9 are equal at stopping the fight. :)
    The 'greatness' of the 45 as a 'stopper' is a myth!;)

JTJ, Trunk Monkey, Oldoutlaw and 2 others like this.
  10. Maineiak

Maineiak Active Member

You are wrong my friend, and just because you carry a 9mm does not exactly mean you have a small pecker;)

11. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

You fookers make me tired. I carry a .45 because that's what I grew up carrying. With hardball it will not only kill the malefactor, it will kill his horse that he's standing in front of.
    It is not hard to shoot, The Lovely Mrs shoots it well, she's 5'6" and weighs about 140.
    Sack it up, Nancy, shoot a man's gun!

Ghost1958 and 7point62 like this.
  12. Ingramite

Yeah but today I'm talking about 1911s.
    I usually talk about fine revolvers on Sunday.

13. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I carry a Springfield Armory GI Champion 1911 4"...or a Springfield Armory full size 1911. Cuz I likes em. And cuz 1911's and me have achieved a Zen Oneness for 40+years. But...to each his own.

Ingramite likes this.
  14. SSGN_Doc

I don’t particularly care what someone picks with regard to caliber for carry. I usually recommend nothing smaller than .380, and tend to push more toward 9mm, .40, and .45 for those with autoloaders. Each has some very good defensive loads available. They are each fairly common, here in the States.

I like 9mm, because of: size, weight, capacity, recoil management, power, as well as the range of available loads and cost as a combination that is tough to beat in most pistol chamberings.

I don’t find any major advantage in .40 or .45 that justifies the penalties of cost, capacity, weight, ammo selection, etc. I carry them on occasion, or .357 Sig. even. I tend to not recommend the .357 Sig or 10mm for carry because ammo availability and cost become penalties to running them.

If someone else has landed on the other cartridges for carry, that’s great. I wouldn’t feel undergunned with good loads from any of them.

for someone starting out on their first carry pistol I’d probably recommend 9mm or .40, because of the cost to get started. A pretty good case can be made for the .40s right now, as .40 cal pistols on the used market seem to be almost at a discount, compared to 9mm pistols. Ammo is a bit more, but not as pricey as .45 for practice rounds.

Shoot what you want, but until rounds are cracking the 2,200 fps velocity range, there isn’t much in the way of magic in the calibers we carry.

15. oO_Rogue_Oo

oO_Rogue_Oo Well-Known Member

I love these threads. 3 pages of replies and not a single followup post by the OP. Reminds me of throwing a scrap of meat into a pit of hungry dogs.

16. JimRau

No I am not wrong, you are.:rolleyes: When I got back from RVN and got into LE my goal was to have 1911 45 ACP in every cops holster as I had bought into the 45 MYTH lock stock and bbl. :eek: But to convince the 'powers that be' of this I had to PROVE my point with FACTS. Well even though I was completely prejudice in favor of the 45 the more research and testing I did the more the FACTS proved me wrong.:( You are allowing EMOTION to cloud your judgment, BUT YOU ARE NOT ALONE!:( And how did you know I had a small pecker!!!:p

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    1stnamebassist likes this.
  17. JimRau

This treat is about the 'best CC pistol', not just the 1911, which I too ADORE!!:p

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
    1stnamebassist likes this.
  18. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

Agree with the 357 mag.

The rest not so much.
    Done too much hunting deersize game with pistols and actually knowing what pistol calibers do the most damage and end in one shot DRT kills.;)

19. Ingramite

We had just made roll call, turning out on the night watch. On our way out to the beat when an APB from an adjacent district advised of a high speed pursuit that was heading in our direction.

I reached down in the console below the Whalen to switch our Motorola to the Tac channel to monitor progress. I hadn't even looked up when I felt our scout car spinning like a pinwheel.

We had entered an intersection where we had missed the Camaro Z-28 running full boil. Nearly T-boned and now fully involved.

Just a few months before we had been refleeted with Chevy Novas. They all had hot rod 350 small block V8s with 4 barrels and dual exhausts. Big fat gumball tires. You talk about rockets on rails....and it was on.

My partner was driving and I was on lookout/radio. The stunt in the intersection had positioned us on the rear bumper of the Camaro with a string of scout cars on our trail.

There is no way that I can adequately convey the adrenalin rush of a high speed pursuit through abandoned city streets at speeds in excess of 120 mph. Red rooftop gum machine lights playing distracting flashes off of the plate glass store windows as you fly past.

We noticed the faintest puff of white smoke or steam streaming from one of the Z28's exhausts and it slowed ever so slightly.

My partner swerved to the left as we began to ease up on the drivers door.
    I was fully fixed on the sight picture over the barrel of my Model 10. I had begun the squeeze on the trigger when the blinding flash and report of my partners Model 66 filled the cabin.

He had directed his fire into the front fender. We knew that a .357 would penetrate both the fender well and engine block...and it did. That stopped the chase.

I had to walk a block back to pick my Model 10 up out of the street where I dropped it. He had fired with his pistol near my head, out the passenger window. I couldn't hear for 6 months.

As soon as I got back on my feet there was a new model 65 in my holster.

Yeah, I know a little about .357 Magnums but I'll only talk about them on Sunday. My partners .357 prevented me from having to make a fatal head shot that night.

20. SSGN_Doc

I remember in my less experienced, younger days, emptying a cylinder full of .357 mag rounds out of a friends Security Six without ear protection. Took a couple days for the ringing to stop.