Best concealed carry pistol?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Jer, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Oldoutlaw

Oldoutlaw Well-Known Member Supporter

I wanted a small pocket pistol. In 380. I looked at all the small ones already mentioned and went with a Glock 42. It is waiting for me to pick up after I'm over this flu.

Maineiak likes this.
  2. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

The best concealed carry pistol is one that you will conceal and carry. It would be nice to be able to shoot it too.

Caveman Jim, Oldoutlaw and JimRau like this.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

One of the broadest questions a person can jump on a gun forum and ask.

Need to narrow down the search criteria:

What are features that you think would make a concealed carry pistol “Great”?

What is too big?

What is too tiny?

You want wheel guns or auto loaders?

How are the laws and restrictions in your area of residence? Any capacity restrictions?

do you want manual safeties you must deliberately disengage in order to employ the firearm, or do you want something you can, draw, point and shoot?

how much do you want to practice and train?

any other tasks for the pistol besides just being a safety tool in case of emergency. Going to run it in any competitions? Going to take it to high round count training classes?

Any physical limitations, like,hand strength issues for cycling a slide on a auto loading handgun?

budget restrictions on firearm, ammo, extra mags, holsters?

do you think you need a rail to mount a light to?

Are you opposed to modern plastics and polymers being used in the major parts of the frame of the pistol?

Seems like a lot of questions, and that isn’t all of them. As some folks have eluded to, there are lots of variables,to be considered, and few shooters will agree on the same combination of features for what they prefer to carry.

I think after about 30 years of trying a lot of handguns I have found a few pistols that satisfy most of the criteria for what I LIKE BEST in a concealed carry pistol. But I also know several folks on this forum and others who have reached different conclusions and would rule out some of the features of my preferred carry pistols in their assessment of what THEY LIKE BEST.

the folks here can definitely help point you towards pistols that have features you like, but you would have to give us more clues as to what you like and don’t like. Then you would have to prioritize your preferences as to which features are most important and come to your own conclusion.

Three of my personal preferred carry pistols below. Some would rule them out as too large, to much plastic, too hard of a trigger to master, or wrong caliber, two have external hammers which some people don’t like, and one is striker fired, which some folks don’t like. Others may pick one of those three based on brand loyalty or hate for the other brands.
    The other folks don’t have to carry them, so...

[​IMG]

4. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

About the only thing I will add is this. If you go with a J Frame type revolver, do yourself a favor, especially if it's a lightweight model, or in .357, buy a full size by the same make for practice, beyond a few rounds. ewhat makes a small gun great for CC, makes it painful to shoot in some cases. Smaller grip, and light is nice for concealing, but a full size will soak up more recoil, be less snappy, and easier to control and shoot accurately, due to size, and a longer sight radius.

The same applies to semi autos. Samll and light equals snappy recoil, and usually a stiffer maispring, which is an issue if you have something like arthritis.

If you have friends who carry, especially with similar hand size and build to your own, see what they have, what they like, and p[ick up a box of ammo, if they are willing to let you shoot it. If they do, it will let you know if it's an option or not.

Doing this us what led to me having two LC9s, and two PF9s, almost 3 of the Keltecs, as I bought one for my daughter as a wedding present, and drove out to Ohio with it to her LGS, as she and my wife both liked them for CC and shooting. As did I, which led to me having to replace the first ones I bought.

Rifling82 likes this.
  5. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are looking at 380 pocket pistol I have looked at a bunch of them. I had a KelTec P3AT and it's clone the Ruger LCP. Both were miserable to shoot so not much practice. The LCP2 is an improvement but still too small. They should have been 32 not 380. After getting rid of the the P3AT and LCP I lined up every 380 the dealer had and tried them all on for size. This was before the LCP2 and the Glock 42. I bought a Sig P238 and it is a good shooter. It is heavier at 19 oz loaded. If I were buying a 380 today it would be the Glock 42 because it has a 3.25" barrel. That tiny bit of extra length makes a big difference in the performance of defensive ammo. 3.25" should be the minimum barrel length for 380. A lot of people carry fmj in the tiny 380's because of the poor performance of HP ammo. I carry XTP's in my Sig P238 as they have limited expansion to gain penetration.

Rifling82 and Oldoutlaw like this.
  6. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

If your looking for a pocket rocket go with the DB9 in 9mm. Tiny with 7 rds 9mm punch and in gen 2 or 3 reliable as any Glock.

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

JER

You have received some of our opinions on our carry! But as has been mentioned, the best thing to do is go to a store that rents time on pistols or find a friend or two who has several that you can try. If you handle the gun, function it and shoot it. You will likely know when the right one comes along.;)

8. Oldoutlaw

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What he said. Main reason I ordered the G42. It fits me and has the longer barrel length.
    Now, as soon as I can get back on my feet, I can go pick it up. Darn this Flu and viral pneumonia all at the same time. :(

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You been drinking Mexican beer?:rolleyes:

7point62 and Oldoutlaw like this.
  10. Oldoutlaw

I must have had a bottle of "Corona." :)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Rifling82 and JTJ like this.
  11. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

It makes me a jolly good fellow

Oldoutlaw likes this.
  12. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

That's why I drink Dos Equis when I'm drinking beer.

13. Ingramite

Ingramite Well-Known Member Supporter

My advice, go big or don't go at all.

If you "settle" you'll regret it later. Once you learn of the raw knock down power of the .45acp round, anything else will leave you doubting your purchase and feeling as wimpy at your pea shooter.

I'd recommend a 1911 too. Chose the barrel length you like. Which ever you chose, it will only be your first of many in your future.

14. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

BINGO! :cool: I have said this so many times in my classes it is not funny. :cool: I have seen MANY people brain storm what is the 'latest and greatest' and buy the biggest/smallest, heavy/lightest, hard recoiling/hitting PPD and then in short order they start making excuses 'NOT' TO CARRY IT. If you are a new shooter/carrier get a 642 S&W and don't look back. If you take the time to train and practice and want to 'up grade' latter do so! Just some advice from one of your 'elders'! :D

towboater and freefall like this.
  15. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

I must say, I find myself carrying my 442 more than anything else. In my limited experience the smaller the autopistol, the less reliable.
    With the Smith I KNOW I'll get five.

primer1 and JimRau like this.
  16. JimRau

Amen! ;) I have a friend who religiously carries a full size 10 mm Colt Delta Elite, but he is the exception, not the rule. I consider the 'base' level for CIVILIAN SD the 5 shot 38 sp. If you are an accomplished 'shootest' with another weapon GREAT, but you are the exception when it comes to Civilian SD, not the rule.:) I have questioned MANY people I know who carry a Semi-Autos as their PPD and VERY few know the basic 'tape and rack' drill when ask and even fewer could actually perform it in real life.:(

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

:D:);):p

18. sheepdawg

sheepdawg Well-Known Member Supporter

Fixed it for you.:cool:

JimRau likes this.
  19. JimRau

One word sums that up MYTH!!!!!:rolleyes:

CMAB2SA and Oldoutlaw like this.
  20. Oldoutlaw

I have no problem with anyone who likes a .45. But the majority of guys around here carrying one just cannot or do not conceal a 1911 or similar very well at all. I can spot one printing very easily. In most all cases.

If I want to open carry any gun, I am allowed to. I am one who likes to carry concealed so as no one can even tell if I am armed or not. When I see any dude printing a large firearm under a tee shirt or light jacket, I consider him a potential threat and watch him very closely until he or I leave a store. Same at church on Sunday. I have the advantage because I see he is armed.

Maineiak, towboater and Rifling82 like this.