Best Competition & Personal Protection 1911

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by GetOhioCCW, Nov 2, 2011.

1. GetOhioCCW

GetOhioCCW New Member

I'm looking for a 911 type gun (.45) that i can carry daily but I'm torn...

If you had a dream pistol... which make and model of gun would you purchase to cover the following

+ Beauty
    + Competition
    + Accuracy
    + Self Defense

Basically I want a gun I can carry for life....but I want to compete here and there too...

Sorry to ask but I'm torn been looking at so many types from Kimber, STI, Para etc...

Also, if you reply can you tell me why as well...instead of just listing a gun...

2. colmustard

colmustard New Member

hmmm... tough choice, I have a colt series 80 govt. and a tuarus pt1911, like them both. If I had to choose a 1911 and i can be any it would probroly be a nighthawk. Those things are fickin sweet! They are the exotic sports car of the handgun world. But there are lots of choices. Happy hunting :D

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

What makes a good competition handgun may not make a good self defense handgun (especially if you want to carry it).

Don't limit yourself to "1 gun do all" mind set. You will go crazy trying to figure out the best of all worlds.

4. utf59

utf59 New Member

What he said.

It also matters what kind of competition you want to do and at what level. If you're thinking about IDPA and competing mostly for fun, they are more oriented toward carry-type guns. If you're thinking about trying to win major USPSA open-gun championships, you'll want a specialized gun.

Don't get me wrong: there are "production" divisions in all kinds of competitions. You can shoot your carry gun (I do), have a great time (I do), and be competitive (I am...sometimes :)).

Some of the things that improve a gun for competition make it more difficult to conceal and/or use for self-defense. Those may also — for you — diminish the aesthetic appeal of the gun. Some things that make a gun easier to carry make it less competitive.

So, prioritize and let us know more about what you want to do with it.

5. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Every time I see these types of questions, one question pops into my mind. Step into a room and ask 'What's the best pizza?'
    Then the debates begin between types, models, costs, and whether it goes with that shirt, as well as how easy it is to conceal and other important considerations.
    It really depends on you and your physical build, hand size, experience and other such things.
    And, as has already been noted, and to paraphrase, saying you want one gun to do it all? That's like saying you want to buy a Corvette so you can drag race on the weeknights and go mud bogging on the weekends.
    Guns can and do get very specialized, and if you want a general, overall firearm better to compete in IDPA events, as they will be more geared toward a general carry sidearm.

6. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

+ Beauty : Looks are not important In a competition or self defense It has to work reliably. Pretty guns get beat up. Holster wear, banging against tables, mud and dirt it will get scratched. If involved in a self defense shooting it may be confiscated.

+ Competition : What kind of competition? Most guns designed for a specific type of competition. A real light trigger pull is not advised for a self defense gun. Sights on a competition gun may snag on clothing when drawing. Most competition gun have optics not suitable for conceal carry.

+ Accuracy : How accurate? 50 ft? Most self defense shootings happen at less the 10 ft.

+ Self Defense : Revolver or Semi Auto? When the SHTF you want a gun that you can handle, easy to conceal, reliable, with stopping power, and you can operate under duress.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  7. levelcross

levelcross New Member

I agree with 007, a beautiful carry gun will see wear marks. Reliability, accuracy, ease of concealment are at the top of the list. For a competition gun reliability, accuracy and speed are what is needed. Get one for each purpose and have the best of both worlds.

8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Well with the words "Dream Pistol" and 1011 it would LES BAER. That would cover the Beauty, Competition, Accuracy and Self defence.Just have to deside the model for your needs.

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

You forgot ( I assume) DEPENDABILITY --Thats the formost thing to me-
    That only comes with use of whatever gun you choose-
    It may take a few :rolleyes:
    Just because it cost $200 or $2000 dont matter much - time & use is the only way to tell :(

10. freefall

freefall New Member

I'm pretty happy with my 1st series Kimber Compact Stainless.

11. chewchew

chewchew New Member

Part of the fun shooting comp. is building your own gun.
    I ALWAYS start out with a colt national match and after adding about 6 hundred bucks in parts and the right loads I come up with a good shooting gun maybe. If not, it's for sale and I start over again.
    I"ve been shooting for 45 years and about 80% are shooting cutomized colts.
    If you're shooting 22 cal. just buy you and old High Standard Victor or Citation. If you don't win it's not the guns fault.

One hundred yards with a 22 pistol using irons is just plum luck.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011