Best companies

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by JuniorRanger, Aug 26, 2012.

1. JuniorRanger

JuniorRanger New Member

Wanted to know what the top AR-15 manufacturers are because I'm looking to buy one but I want a premier rifle for around $1000. So please let me know

2. okdonk

okdonk New Member

It has to be over $1000 for best AR. It all depends on your needs, target practise, home defense or high abuse. Check out DD and BCM. Read past threads in AR15 category and i'm sure you will find out what's best in users' opinions and experiences.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

Depends on the ar type and what your going to use it for

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  5. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

You asked who the top manufacturers are but then put a price limit on the gun.

The tops I would pick from would be LaRue, Knights Armament, and Noveske. But you will pay double or triple your budget.

In your budget, Bravo Co., Spikes, Stag, Smith and Wesson, Colt, Daniel Defense can get you into a base rifle that is a good solid platform to build on.

6. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Tops for what purpose? Formal competition? 3 gun?

SHTF/defense?

I don't shoot competition anymore, so my top choice is Colt.

7. JuniorRanger

JuniorRanger New Member

Sorry I was a little unclear. I wanted to know the top companies that only cost around $1000. I don't care to know the ones that cost $3,000. And I want to use this gun for SHTF/ home defense and some fun target shooting. I hope this makes it easier to know what I'm looking for now

8. mkett39

mkett39 New Member

Myself I like Stag. I have one complete Stag and one Stag lower with a PSA upper. Run like champs never a problem.

9. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

In that case, look into something along the lines of a midlength 16" milspec rifle.

IMO, this is pretty close to the best rifle you can build for your needs:

Basic BCM/MOE
    A decent stripped lower: $130
    BCM- Upper + BCG + CH: $650
    PSA LPK + MOE kit: $180
    MOE Rear Sight, handguard: $90

Total: $1050

You can get cheaper with some very serviceable kits from PSA (essentially everything but the stripped lower and rear sight). But if you end up upgrading very many points on the PSA kit, the price jumps rather quickly.

If you have no interest in building it yourself and want to keep it under $1K, look hard at S&W or Stag. Or Daniel Defense, if you're willing to spend a few hundred more.

10. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

For just a little over a thousand, you can get a
    Colt. Take a look at the LE6920.

11. rurak

rurak New Member

I've got a s&w m&p sport. I paid 640$ out the door. I put on a quad rail, bipod, Nikon scope, hogue grip and vertical folding foregrip and I'm only into it for 850$. Can't beat it for the money

12. X-mark

X-mark New Member

A Noveske 16" Light Recce Basic MOE upper can be had for just under $810...just ask me how I know;)

Pair that with the lower of your choice and you have a very nice SHTF carbine!

13. JuniorRanger

JuniorRanger New Member

Thank you all for the suggestions and I'm am now researching like mad. Is Bushmaster good or bad?

14. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

Walmart sells the Bushmaster in there online Catalog .

Should meet your price range

15. okdonk

okdonk New Member

This reminded me when i entered AR15 world. I was interested at Bushmaster AR15 with full MOE furniture. Price was $1000 from budsgunshop.com.
    Then people here advised and recommended DD. So i bought DD for another extra couple hundreds.
    Now.. no regret at all! Buy once cry once.

16. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

There's bettr for the same money as a Bushy, aaaaaand that stoopid snake till pisses me off.