Best choke for home defense shotgun?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by molonlabexx, Jun 4, 2013.

1. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Looking for info on the best choke tube for home defense. I am using 12 GA buckshot loads (9 pellet). I have a Remington 870 so the rem-choke system will work. And where is the best place to buy the choke tubes? Preferably online

2. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

For the 870? 12 ga. buckshot? Does it matter whose brand you use if that's what you mean!? You have enough to worry about...

3. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Cylinder choke tube. What barrel length is your barrel?

4. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Roughly 20 inches.

5. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Is your barrel a slug barrel? if so, it might not even be threaded for chokes.

6. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

I already have a skeet choke in there. It is threaded

7. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Hrmmmmm....... I always figured they usually come just with an improved cylinder barrel and no chokes, but hey, I've been wrong before.

So what choke is in your barrel now? Did it just come with one choke?

8. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

One choke and it is skeet.

9. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Improved Cyl works pretty well with what your wanting to use it for.

10. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

A modified choke is probably the one to use overall for the best pattern on buckshot. (considering there's no easy, simple answer. Each shotgun is a law unto itself and only very loose rules apply.)
    Such as....

Premium ammo usually patterns tighter than generic or Third World stuff. Which patterns TIGHTEST is a mystery until one patterns his/her shotgun with divers ammo.

Constrictions between 10 and 20 POC usually pattern better(Tighter) with most ammo than no Choke or Full Choke.

A long forcing cone will usually tighten patterns about as much as one increment of choke.

Some folks who use buck for deer hunting work up custom handloads and use lots of choke. Usually, these results are good only with one load.

11. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

If you plan on shooting slugs occasionally and don't want to spend more money than you have to, get the improved cylinder choke and call it good. Strictly shooting buckshot I would get an improved cylinder.

A good place to start looking for prices would be Brownells and Midway

12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I can find nothing here to disagree with. It's good advice. Chokes are not real expensive. Get a couple and see how it patters with them.

I have a MOD in my 870 and Imp-Cyl in my Mossberg, they both pattern prettygood to same at same distance. I know..The horror. I own one good and one crap shotgun..It's up to you to figure out which is which..lmao!:p

13. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Thanks!!!!!

14. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Iv'e never seen a threaded 20in barrel, so thats a new one on me. But at the distances involved in a typical HD situation, i dont think choke size is going to matter much..

15. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Gunsmiths dont like Mossberg's, because they never need to be fixed... **** EDITED **** Not very lady like.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2013
  16. BigRedUSMC

BigRedUSMC New Member

Uh bingo was his name-o

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2013
  17. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Play nice please.

18. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

try MidwayUSA for choke tubes. they carry many different brands of chokes. prices are reasonable and they have pretty fast shipping.

19. molonlabexx

molonlabexx New Member

Gunsmiths don't just fix stuff. They customize it. In fact I saw a Mossberg today on a rack. This argument is like apple and android, each has their goods and bads. And for some reason, people cannot get over it.

20. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I own both and never have had any problems with either one.