best bullets for my ruger 10/22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by bbeyner, Mar 11, 2012.

1. bbeyner

bbeyner New Member

What would you say are the best bullets to buy for my ruger 10/22

2. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

It is much more difficult to find one that they don't like. I have not found anything that it won't shoot.

3. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

i was gonna say the same.......i would ask for what application hunting,or target shooting,for target shooting i shoot what is cheapest and available.for hunting i will shoot stingers or yellow jackets.not for any real reason just cause.

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Mine is more picky. Mini Mags always work along with Blazer. American Eagle 38 and 40 gr, Aguila 38 and 40 gr work also. Bulk Remington and bulk Winchester dont work. I have never tried the bulk Federal for some unknown reason. I had some Winchester that would jam every round but flew through my S&W MP 15-22. I put a new stock barrel on my 10-22 and have not tried any bulk in it so things may have changed but I still wont buy Remington bulk. I have not had any jams with the new barrel but have not used any bulk in it. I weighed some Winchester Dynapoint one time and there was over 1 gr variance. That is a significant amount in a small cartridge and they were not very accurate. They were a little more accurate when segregated by weight.

5. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Break it in with CCI minimags...about 500 rounds should get your springs/etc set right. Plus, they are really consistant in FPS out the muzzle.

Don't use HYPER-Velocity ammo UNLESS you put in a Tuffer Buffer...some folks also reccomend a higher poundage recoil spring.

Only use Remington rimfire ammo (Golden Bullsquish, Thunderduds, Viper-bit-me) when you want to experience lots of ammo-related failures.

Standard Velocity ammo (Target/Match) will give you the best precision, Wolf Match is decently priced, but dirty as heck. Clean after EVERY range outing...
    Some brands of Standard Velo may not give enough recoil to work the bolt completely, causing Stovepipe FTE's...

High Velocity is the Norm...and the average choice for all sortsa stuff. Plinking Fun abounds!!

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

For target or hunting standard velocity ammo tends to be more accurate . BUT you will just have to shoot it to find out what your likes. Don't except under 1" at 50 yards. May not happen till ammo cost gets to high to enjoy if ever. Remington ammo does tend to not be one of the better choices for relieablity ether.. Darn 10/22's tend to eat money upgradeing them so try not to start down that road or you will end up with a very accurate rife that is way to much fun at the range.

7. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I have used the Federal 550 Bulk Box ammo from Walmart with great success for plinking in my two 10/22's. Also as mentioned above, the CCI Mini-Mags are hard to beat too. They're just a little more pricey.

ETA: Avoid the Remington Golden Bullet Bulk Pack ammo. They have a very poor performance record. About 15% of the average pack will be duds.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  8. TacticalSenior

TacticalSenior New Member

Ditto on the Federal 550 Bulk and also the CCi mini mags for my 10/22. Both also work fine in my 22/45. Pick my .22 ammo up at Walmart too. Good prices.

9. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

Ruger 10/22's will shoot anything good and accuratlu

10. RustyShackleford101

RustyShackleford101 New Member

I can run anything out of my 10/22. The federal value packs always go bang for me. Just make sure to clean it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  11. vincent

vincent New Member

...This^^^

...This^^^

...This is NOT TRUE^^^

12. RustyShackleford101

Just clean your gun. I've put 1000+ rounds of the cheapest stuff that will go bang through it and is only jammed one, and all I had to do was cock it.

13. vincent

vincent New Member

I'll keep that in mind...:rolleyes:

14. RustyShackleford101

" Cletus, you're the best husband, and son, I ever had"

15. vincent

vincent New Member

Digdaggone talkabout tellyawhatman...yo

Attached Files:

16. RustyShackleford101

Propane and propane accesories, gods gas

17. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

try as many differnt brands as you can. 5 10 shot groups at at least 50 yds and keep an open mind you may find some cheep ammo works great in yours

18. RustyShackleford101

Anybody ever use .22 ratshot? That stuff is awesome

19. wpirate14

wpirate14 New Member

I bought some of those golden bullets by Remington. They worked flawlessly with my 10/22, Buckmark, and Ruger single six. I didn't have a single dud out of two bulk pack. No misfeeds or jams. Maybe I got lucky with those two boxes.

20. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Wow, you did get lucky! Just for giggles go Google "Problems with Remington Golden Bullets" and take a look at the long list of complaints from people everywhere who have used them and had problems. The issues go way back 10 years or more and is well known throughout the shooter world.

I have 5-.22 firearms and they all had problems digesting the weak, ill-primed Remington GB ammo. :(