best bullets for glock 19

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by BigAnt, Sep 14, 2013.

1. BigAnt

BigAnt New Member

What is the best bullets to buy for my glock 19

2. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Really? That's a loaded question. Get it? Loaded Question! Hahahahaha!! Any bullet that will shoot.

3. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Anything that's not high pressure or lead cast.

4. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

What are you asking regarding? Self defense, target practice, high accuracy?

5. BigAnt

BigAnt New Member

Self defense and accuracy

6. Argyle_Armoring

You can shoot lead cast bullets in a Glock. You just have to be super diligent in cleaning immediately after shoothing those bullets through it.

7. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

9mm Luger. LOL

I recommend Critical Defense by Hornady. I use the round for my Sig P226. Excellent performance at the range. I am happy with it. Whatever you choose, shoot a full mag at the range for each mag you own for the gun. Expensive, yes, but best to be sure the round works.

8. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

1) I recommend 9mm.

2) I generally prefer 124gr for range and defense, but that may require additional cost. That said, 115gr FMJs will generally do just fine at the range.

3) Carry/Defense ammo (whether woods, urban, carry, HD/SD) implies a number of variables that are specific to your situation and environment, including your own abilities with your gun. There can be viable reasons to go heavy or light, FMJ or JHP. Generally I'd suggest 124+gr JHPs for defense against two-legged critters. And most of the brass-cased defense ammo that's out there will perform plenty well.

9. Argyle_Armoring

For range time I shoot: brass Tulammo in 115 gr.
    For self defense I shoot: Speer Gold Dot Law Enforcement 147 gr.

10. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

It's a good way to blow a Glock up.

11. Argyle_Armoring

It has never happened with proper cleaning aferward.

12. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Something with a flash suppressed powder is probably best for low light shooting. Blinding yourself with each shot you take when you're half-awake at 3 AM is probably not going to help you win a gunfight.

If it's practice ammo, try to get as close as possible to your carry ammo in terms of ballistics.

Think low to moderate velocity. You don't need anything that makes a compact weapon more difficult to control than it already is.

I've shot lots of different ammo through Glocks, and plenty of other pistols, and I'm still waiting on that magic bullet that the ammo companies keep saying they've come up with.

13. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

1) GLOCK themselves said NOT to use lead bullets.

2) A Lone Wolf barrel replacement is recommended instead.

3) How many times have you heard "well I can shoot XXXX many rounds out of my GLOCK without cleaning"? NOT a good idea to use lead with that mindset.

4) Is it really worth risking your gun, your hands, or possibly your life? Because if the gun does blow up, you'll end up holding this.

[​IMG]

14. AR10

AR10 New Member

Glocks come with an owner's manual. Read it. No lead ammo. This is for a reason. Copper jacketed only.

While a aftermarket barrel is one possible solution, and I own 7 of them, at least, that I can remember off the too of my head, one needs to be careful about allowing ones self down the Glock modification highway.

Glocks work pretty well just as they are, and changing this, or that, is a slippery slope that can easily lead to Glock Leg, or worse.

The money saved on lead over copper jacketed or all copper is trivial compared to an educational moment at the end of a bang.

I own additional barrels to obtain more caliber choices. All my barrels are Glock, with two KKM and one Lone Wolf I have never used. LW is in my SHTF stuff in case I have a gun with no usable ammo.

I don't throw lead down the barrels of anything I shoot, just too dirty to clean back up. All my lead ammo (lots of it) is in my SHTF piles.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  15. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

No no no no no.
    Do people do it? Yes
    Should an FFL that intends to keep their business suggest it? No
    Don't be an idiot. Liability insurance is expensive enough without suggesting people set themselves up with a trigger actuated hand grenade.
    You do not shoot cast lead in a glock factory barrel. Period.

16. zeke4351

zeke4351 New Member

You should do a lot of research on this matter and make up your own mind. I carry only ammo that has a proven street record and is used by LE. Speer Gold Dots, Remington Golden Saber, Federal HST, Winchester Ranger, Corbon , is all used and proven ammo. If your going to go to the trouble of carrying a gun use the best ammo you can find and don't just buy it because the box is pretty. There is a lot of good video of ammo testing on YouTube.

17. 1911love

1911love New Member

For the street: Speer Gold Dot 124gr +p BJHP. Bonded is important in case you have to fire through auto body steel or glass.

At home: Hornady Critical Defense. Low flash powder to help shooting at night and the round doesn't penetrate barriers as much as the Gold Dots.

I only carry bonded JHPs outside of the house. In addition to firing into a vehicle, you might be forced to fire out of a vehicle.

18. loken12

loken12 New Member

quality hard cast lead bullets

Try some online stores.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  19. msup752

msup752 New Member

My G21 blew up on the second mag of lead bullets. And that was during the Clinton AWB so less than 20 total rounds. YMMV

I feed my G19 115g Barnes solid copper rounds by Double Tap. Otherwise I reload 124 g Berrys plated.

I use federal HST for my pistols that can't use +p ammo. Hornady and Speer would work just as well.

20. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Hmm lets see I rotate between.... Hornady Critical Def 115gr HP, Winchester PDX 124gr JHP, Federal Hydra Shock 147gr JHP, Winchester Nato 124gr FMJ, and now Winchester Silver Tip 115gr JHP. The Federal is my favorite