Best bulk 22 ammo

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by dan983, May 13, 2011.

1. dan983

dan983 New Member

Hi:

I'm seeing some great bulk packed 22 ammo deals. I know none of them are target grade but I'd appreciate thoughts on accuracy and quality?

Thanks

Dan

2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I bought a bulk pack of winchester at Walmart and they are oversize. I was having constant jams in my 10-22 so I thought I would use them in my revolver. They have to be forced in with the cylinder clean. Forget about it when dirty.:( CCI, Aguila and American Eagle go right in. I will have to try them in my bolt or pump. If they dont work there, they are useless.

3. hbomb

hbomb New Member

ive never had any issues with federal. my last couple boxes of remingtons have been a little finiky

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

The Federal Auto Match at Wal Mart is sold in 325 round boxes. I've found it to be vastly superior to the other bulk ammo-both in accuracy and reliability.

5. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I've had good luck with the Federal 550 packs from Walmart or the Federal 525 packs from Gander. The last Winchester 555 I bought had some issues and I've fought with the Remington Golden Bullets enough that I won't buy again.

My favorite bulk pack would be Blazers though. Walmart doesn't carry them and I have to go a little out of my way to get them. But they are good ammo and still at $18.50/500 are well priced.

6. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Maybe I'm a spendthrift, but I only shoot plated rounds. I'm not into lead bulk. I like copper plated bulk like the Winchester 333 and Fiocchi 500-round packs.

And the Golden Bullets are not really plated...

7. rifleman55

rifleman55 New Member

+1 on the Auto Match, it's about the best bulk. The Dyna Point is also very good. From there, a big difference in accuracy will be had with Wolf MT, about $4.50 a box of 50, but it sure shoots.
    No other bulk ammo is worth buying if you want half decent accuracy. I've used them all in a lot of different rifles.

John K

8. Fisherking

Fisherking New Member

+1 on what Bear said . I love the auto match. I use it in my savage MKII with good results. The only thing that shoots better is RSW, for more than twice the price.
    F.K.

9. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Another vote for the Federal 550 packs from Walmart.

10. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Anything except Remington Golden Turd ammo.

11. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I totally agree with you on the bulk Remington "Golden Bullet". I get about 1 misfire in 10 rounds with them.

12. X-Raycer

X-Raycer New Member

To me "Bulk" ammo is buying 3 or 4 thousand Rounds per order of CCI Mini-Mag, Subsonic HP or 40gr. Subsonic Green Tag.
    I tried big boxes and was not happy with my shooting.

Every day I shoot 60 rounds into 12 targets, 5 rounds each, @ 50 yards. Then I do it again 2 or 3 more times.

My goal is to make a single hole in each target. I'm getting better and I'm happy with 1" groups but I still want one hole groups.
    I found I can't do that by cheaping-out on ammo.

This year I've bagged 8 Ground Hogs with single Head-shots at 50-75 yards.
    The ammo I use gave me confidence that I would hit the target on the first shot.

If I hit what I'm aiming at, shooting is FUN. Otherwise I'm wasting my time and money.
    I hate misfires and Flyers.
    Just my 2 cents...

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  13. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

I like the Federal 550 packs very accurate in my Ruger 10/22 Target

14. Uchahi

Uchahi New Member

I have to vote for the Federal 550 packs from Walmart. CCI mini mag is a close second though.

15. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I have always had good luck out of the Remington Golden Bullets,but then again,I will not ever buy ammo from Walmart or Academy.They force the mfg's to sell the ammo so close to cost,and the mfg's do absolutely NO quality control on their ammo for those places.
    I might have to pay more for mine,but I have very little problems out of them.

The Federal shoots pretty good also.

16. dan983

dan983 New Member

Remington cuts quality for Walmart?

Come on--no way Remington or any other manufacture stops the production process to use cheaper components or lessen QC because they are selling to Walmart! If one wants to pay more that's fine. Go to Gander Mountain and load up. If Federal or Tula aren't happy with their deal, they would refuse. It's capitalism.

Some of our left brothers say taxes are not high enough. Fine, pay more if it makes one happy.

17. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

Federal 550 bulk value pack
    10 shot 25 yard group w/Ruger 10/22 Target

[​IMG]

18. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Dan,I have hauled many truck loads of ammo out of the Remington plant in Lonoke,Arkansas.I have also been told by employee's and manager's there-Not To Buy Ammo from Walmart or the other big chain stores because of the lack of quality control on that ammo.
    It's not that the ammo is any different as to the making of it,but they don't do the regular Q.C. on it because they wouldn't be making any profit.

Walmart is a PIA to deal with as a business.They are so large,that they will dictate the prices to get you the consumer a good price,and could care less about the mfg's bottom line.
    If you don't believe me,ask anyone that has ever dealt with Walmart or any other big nation wide company as a business.

19. Jared

Jared New Member

I do not think you realize how retail works. Manufacturers and distributors give price breaks to the larger stores because they sell so much of it.

20. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

I am a range officer and I keep good records of gun and ammo malfunctions. I notice only @ 1 missfire per 550 rounds with Federals, Winchesters are very iffy with their bulk pack. I just shot a 550 round box of Remington's with 18 misfires and 11 squib loads. I see @8000 rounds of 22 shot per year and Federals are heads and shoulders above any other bulk ammo.