best brand of ammo?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Ownspitbull, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Ownspitbull

Ownspitbull New Member

whats the best brand of ammo some of you all have used with your sks?

2. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Silver or Golden Bear works great. Heck any 7.62x39 works fine in my sks and ak. I feed them a constant diet of steel cased Russian bulk and have not had a single issue.

3. Ownspitbull

Ownspitbull New Member

steel case wont mess up the barrel?

4. USMCscoutsniper

USMCscoutsniper New Member

Dont use wolf its the worst brand it messes up your rifle pretty fast

5. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I rarely do this, but I'm calling total BS on that statement. There are thousands and thousands of people who have fired thousands and thousands of rounds of Wolf through multiple rifles without issue. Yes it's dirty, dirtier than some, but it wont "mess up your rifle pretty fast", or at all for that matter.

There are some rifles that don't handle steel case ammo well, but in AKs and SKSs it works wonderfully.

-Fred

6. USMCscoutsniper

Well with my AR i put 200 rounds of wolf thru it and it messed up my fireing pin

7. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

It was made for steel case ammo!
    I agree with FCross7 that this statement is total BS! Also agree that Wolf is a dirty ammo & even to the point of being very under powered in the Wolf Military Classic.

The best ammo is the one that works best in your rifle!
    I have tried many different brands in my Yugo SKS every thing from mil-surp stuff to the US made brands.
    The one that works all the time in all conditions, never had any problem with cycling and from batch to batch my sights never needed adjustment is Golden Tiger. It will cost a little more but it is worth every cent.
    Here is where I get mine.
    7.62x39*Golden Tiger 7.62x39mm - 124gr FMJ - 1000 rds*A762GT

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  8. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Effen Troll!

This kid is only repeating what he read on arfcom. His experience begins and ends with airsoft.

Wolf has pretty soft primers. So, no it didn't. And its FIRING pin.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  9. Werminator

Werminator Member

I had an SKS about a decade ago that we traded along with 100 bucks cash for a stainless steel and synthetic Winchster Model 70 in .243 Winchester... I love that rifle and will never let it go. With that said, I began to desire a semi auto with more power than my .22 and I thought what better than getting back to an SKS? I found one of those mysterious "DP" models with all matching serial numbers and on an impulse brought it home. I took it out with 3 brands of ammo (TulAmmo, Wolf, and Winchester white box) and the Wolf was by far the most consistent and it would seem that the rifle was sighted in using a similiar ammo as I did not have to move either sight... I had NO PROBLEMS with the Wolf and it fed the TulAmmo very well, it just wasn't sighted for the slightly lighter bullet. I am happy with the performance Wolf provided and for the difference in price from Wolf to Winchester I will shoot more often and simply clean it a bit more frequently...

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I think there was probably a different reason behind your problem. A good AR will fire steel case ammo w/ no problems. I know because thats almost all I use in mine.

11. USMCscoutsniper

Im looking into it

12. chris1234

chris1234 New Member

Stainless steel cases and load your own, the steel cases easy clean and if you load your own you can get a low burn powder to save all the mess and you can melt your own bullet heads to suit your own weight of bullet heads for different types of shooting.

This also saves you money to improve you weapon.

13. willfully armed

Stainless steel cases, bullet heads...... I've heard it all. I can now die knowing I've lived a complete life.

14. chris1234

chris1234 New Member

Yes, all that time reloading makes the range trip worth while and its better than factory ammo

15. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Where pray tell do you get these stainless steel cases? I have been using lowly brass to reload for the past 40+ years. I have been looking into plastic though.

16. chris1234

chris1234 New Member

my local gun shop stocks them, try magtech, i have to buy them already loaded, shoot them and then reload them.

plastic, that sounds great, apart from 12 gauge and 410 plastic shells, i have not heard of rifle bullets loaded in plastic cases, or do you know better ?

17. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

To my knowledge there are no such things as Stainless Cases. I know for a fact that the regular steel cases are very tough on dies and shouldn't really be used (plus most of them are berdan primed anyhow). The cases you're talking about are probably nickel.

On a side note, unless you're buying the more expensive brass cased ammo, it isn't worth it to reload for 7.62x39. The steel cased stuff is so cheap it would cost you more to reload it.

-Fred

18. willfully armed

What the clown is referring to, is nickel plated brass.

So this reference of stainless steel casings, and referring to projectiles as "bullet heads" so strongly enforces the idea that this guy doesn't know an F'ing thing about guns, ammo, or reloading.

19. chris1234

chris1234 New Member

yes us clowns call silver coloured brass stainless, i did not mean solid stainless,
    So sorry for the confussion and this guy does know how to reload, bacause when i started out i got all sorts of help and tips from reloaders all over the world, which i am gratefull for, so thankyou all.

I enjoy reloading when its quite and you dont get bothered, i enjoy reloading as much as shooting, reloading does take time to learn and is a art.

cheers chris

20. bigtex52

bigtex52 New Member

LOL!!! :rolleyes: