best bolt carrier group

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by kiabe1, Sep 30, 2013.

1. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Who makes the best bolt carrier group between: spikes tactical, and daniel defense. I dont want to spend an absolute fortune but i am willing to drop some cash. i'd prefer to stay below 250 to be honest. If u can think of a better choice in this price range that would be great. And as always links are appreciated. thank you

2. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

Well Id say go with PSA. Personally I have a Phase 5 Tactical, and the lugs on the bolt broke off. 1 email later and 2 pictures (really dont think he even needed them), and Ive got a new bolt in the mail overnighted. So Im partial to that customer service. Daniel Defense obviously is great, but Ive always heard (no experience with it) that BCM is pretty much the gold standard.

3. jord1985

jord1985 New Member

You can easily stay under $250 if you don't get nickel boron. Try to get a full auto carrier they are non-nfa but the extra weight slows down the Action for smoother follow up shots. Spikes, Daniel defense, bcm, are all g2g I have parts from all 3 companies on my ar

4. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

I own a chrome Daniel defense BCG. But there are plenty great ones available. Actually, most of these by companies buy their BCGs from one or two companies that make them for a bunch of weapon manufacturers. So there are a lot out there that are literally identical except for the name.

But I'd go with Daniel defense, PSA, spikes or BCM

BCM has always been a favorite of mine for everything

5. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Standard phosphated M16 BCGs from Colt, BCM and Daniel Defense are the best. I have two BCMs, one DD and two PSAs - and will go with BCM for all future purchases. Colt is high quality but costly and no better than BCM. I have no experience with Spikes but expect good quality.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  6. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Im seeing some excellent advice, and would like to thank you all. i noticed someone mentioned nickel boron, and was wondering who makes the lowest priced quality version. A link for purchase would be excellent.

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The thing to remember about special coatings is you can coat a turd. Look at the specs of the BCG first, they are what really matters. The coating is secondary.

8. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Great advice Q!!

OP, stick with a MilSpec BCG. DD and BCM are my top choices. Though I do have a S&W 8620 BCG with a PSA bolt in my latest build.

The S&W 8620 is a little heavier than most other com-spec BCG's.

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

iirc DD doesn't mp/hp their bolts, spike's does....

For a run of the mil nothing fancy, most reliable BCG, I like BCM, LMT, Spike's, PSA premium full auto (not their plain full auto), then DD. All these are Carpenter 158.

Then there's the fancy ones like Young's and JPs.

Then there's the pretty ones, like the hard chrome and nickel boron.

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

BCM and LMT are the two that I seek out.

11. jord1985

jord1985 New Member

http://www.failzero.com/buynow/m16-4-products/m16-4-bcg-kit-with-semi-auto-hammer-detail.html

There's your nickel boron. Fail zero is second to none plus it includes a coated hammer.

You can find a spikes nickel boron on brownells or aimsurplus for about the same but usually they don't include a hammer

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

Bcm.

My pref is phosphate coating it holds lube better than speciality coatings. Keep your bcg lubed with 30w motor oil all it will ever need for cleaning is a quick wipe if you choose to do the minimum. I think special coatings are a waste.

I do have two chromed bcg from rra but it was a free option when I bought the uppers. Otherwise I would have just got a regular phosphated bcm bcg.

When I ordered my krieger barrel they normally ask for the bolt the barrel is being used with. They make exceptions for colt and bcm bolts as the tolerances are in spec so they can just use a milspec bolt and its a non issue and I didn't have to send mine in.

I think bcm followed close by colt are the best bcg out there

A little bit back one of our vendors passed around a failzero bcg and it made it to the second person before it failed... I put zero faith into a company that markets the coatings over the materials and construction.

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The DD BCG I got in 2010 the bolt wasn't marked HP or MP nor did the carrier have the DD logo. DD claimed they were HP/MP though. That was common at the time but I think they are marked today. OKDonk has talked about both types and we know he's seen a few DDs go through his hands!

I think DD's Ambush Arms chromed BCG comes with a SA carrier while every phosphated DD I've seen is FA.

14. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/how-about-little-game-bcg-hot-potato-77131/

A Fail Zero BCG was passed around to some members of this forum, and the above link is the result of their range reports. Wasn't pretty. This may not be typical of Fail Zero products, but QC is important in firearms. My suggestion, if you want a coated BCG, get a POF upper. They have been doing it longer.

15. bige91603

bige91603 New Member

16. Quentin

Quentin New Member

That's a good point, two specially coated BCGs were passed around, Black Rain and Fail Zero, but had QC problems that ended the test. You'd expect that with a Stoner BCG but these are highly touted expensive models. Very disappointing. I've had no problems like that with my own BCGs.

17. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Never seen a colt bolt carrier fail. Not saying they don't because anything can fail, but just never seen it happen. I am not really knowledgable on other brands, except for their marketing but I take marketing very lightly.

18. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

You know honestly, I had a couple DD BCGs and Palmetto State Premiums. and they looked real clean. Too clean. It didn't look test fired. ONLY the BCM bcgs (shot peened, hp mp carp 158) that I or my friends purchase were pretty dirty and lubed. Just as if they were tested.

Guess what I'm saying (and this goes with everyone) I have only seen BCM say that they individually test each bolt HP/MP. Everyone else claiming HP MP testing may only batch test, not individually test. I haven't done much digging. I've had personal experience with LMT, BCM, PSA, Spike's, Young's NM, JP, and a Black Rain Ordinance Nickel Boron. I've only had a problem with the BRO (maybe an out of spec firing pin) and the Young's (needed an extractor insert to get it working properly).

I did forget to add LMT to my orginal list. They are pretty much milspec everything but doesn't have any markings on it.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  19. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

True, I've yet to see a carrier fail. But I've seen lotsa bolts fail.

20. jord1985

jord1985 New Member

I have a fail zero nickel boron with zero issues sorry to hear about the bad test. I also have a run of the mill no-name 158 carpenter BCG (properly staked) from aimsurplus as a backup. Both function the same the nickel cleans up a bit easier but not easier enough to justify the $150 price difference. Save your coin for other high price upgrades like trigger or optic.

With that all being said I have not heard any bad reviews on the spikes nickel BCG if you're stuck on the bling.

Ask yourself ... Does your car run with factory rims? Or do you need chrome 20s ? Are those rims for you, and do they make it ride better? or just a way to show off to everyone else on the block?