Best bolt-action

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by gaeilgeoir, Aug 8, 2011.

1. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

What are people's opinion? Overall, or do one for each kind of caliber range (ie. small 22lr up to big game cartridges). Just thought id see people's ideas :)

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Some of the bolt rifles out there. I know there are other great rifles but these are my favorite models and cals.

Marlin 917-V (Varmint) 17 HMR Cal.
    Sako Finnbear 243 Cal.
    Remington 40-X 308 Cal.
    Win Model 70 30-06 Cal.
    Remington CDL 7 MM Rem. Mag Cal.

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

My .22lr are used for plinking, My sons 1969 Romanian trainer is awesome, My Old 1952 JC Higgins is 100% reliable and accurate.
    .223, .204, Nothing beats a CZ 527 Micro Mauser.
    Medium bore, again, a Mauser.
    Large bore, Mauser again. A .416 Rigby is a rifle I want.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

If your talkin actions-
    MAUSER :)

Listin one for each caliber is WAY too much typing :(

5. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

Haha nah i just meant like if you cant decide on one give a couple and maybe spread it over different calibers :p but ha mauser seems ta be a popular one :p

6. jpattersonnh

1955 Husvarna build, 1947 FN '98 receiver. 8x57, new Boyds stock, original short side rail mount. You can use irons without removing scope, 150 yard express.
    [​IMG]
    CVZ 527 Varminter, .223 CIP chamber.
    [​IMG]
    Howa 1500 .308 HB. Modified Mauser action.
    [​IMG]
    1962 Husqvarna M1600, 6.5x55
    [​IMG]
    Have quite a few more if you want a gander!

7. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

Haha ye sure, why not the more the merrier :) do you hunt with any of them?

8. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

And i love the idea of being able to use either aiming system..

9. jpattersonnh

10. jpattersonnh

M41b short side rail mount, 6.5x55 M96
    [​IMG]
    M98 Repro sniper, see through low turret:
    [​IMG]
    My sons 1942 Husqvana M38, sportered 6.5x55 w/ see through rings:
    [​IMG]

11. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

Sweet haha, what do you hunt? :p and actually i always found those thumbhole ones interesting, are they comfortable?

12. jpattersonnh

Rabbits, birds, Whitetail, Moose, Elk...
    My sons is very comfortable. It has a Boyds Varmint stock on it. They give a little more control.

13. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

Oh ha so anything really :p and good to know :) and this is probably off the point but i was practicing with my air rifle today (just having fun, gun control is too strict for anything else) and i could not figure out a way to shoot without moving when i pull the trigger, it wa really infuriating and as i am the only one with any interest at all in firearms near me i had noone to ask so do you have any tips? (it kept moving right a far as i can remember, and i am right handed)

14. JonM

JonM Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

ive owned several remingtons currently have a winchester mod 70 springfield 1903a3 and two mosin 91/30.

i would have to say my favorite is my 1944 mosin PU sniper

[​IMG]

yes that black and white fur on the right is a real skunk skin hat i wear in the winter

[​IMG]

before i cleaned the cosmo off the scope. on my particular scope the year of manufacture is the first two digits of the serial number. made in Factory 297 located in Yoshkar-Ola. it still had the original dessicant paper put there by the soviet aresanal workers in 1964. the 1964r with the box and x in the center is the arsenal stamp when the rifle was gone over by soviet workers before being crated and not used until this year when i purchased it.

[​IMG]

i love this rifle by far my favorite.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  15. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

That looks like a very nice gun, and i like the history, its like icing on the cake :p how much did it set you back?

16. gaeilgeoir

gaeilgeoir New Member

And ha love the hat, its a lot better than just being like everyone else :p haha bet it looks class :)

17. JonM

i think i paid 650 for it. its a real one not a toss together.

ya its pretty sweet. got it from a fur trader at a gunshow. its hand stitched with sinew and a flanel lining. it has the skunk face in the front. i get a ton of comments. people generally love it.

18. Wambli

Wambli Member

I have a lot of perfect rifles (well perfect for me) but there is one production rifle that if someone was not making it as a catalogued item I would have had it built. That is my Kimber M84 in 7mm-08. As far as I'm concerned it is quite possibly the most perfect hunting rifle in the world. Ultralight, very accurate and just a pleasure to shoot and carry all day. Mine wears a Kahles 2-7 scope on Aluminum Talley rings/bases (it had Kimber rings and bases in this picture but those are gone in favor of the lower weight Talleys). Weight is a hair over 6 pounds.

[​IMG]

19. JonM

Personally i cant stand kimber but that is a very pretty stock.

20. Wambli

Wambli Member

Why? Just curious...

Thanks for the compliment on the stock.