Best BANG for my Bucks?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Brother_COM, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Brother_COM

Brother_COM New Member

OK, so now that I've decided NOT to get a Piston-Driven AR, I have to decide WHICH ONE to get.

A local gun shop here offers the RRA Elite Operator for $1,000 + TAX.
    is that a great price?

What other ARs for about 1k are worth the money?

Here's what I will be using the rifle for:
    1) Shooting Appleseed and NRA shoots; Ranges from 25 to 300 yards. MOST OF MY SHOOTING will be from 25 to 100 yards.
    2) Of course, hoem security.

One note: Don't tell me about rifles that cost more than $1600. I won't even consider them.

Thanks,
    Glen

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've done some looking at a basic model M&P 15 for $850. I haven't heard too many reviews on the M&P's but I am very fond of Smith and Wesson.

I think Colt makes a sub 1k rifle, but don't quote me on that.

Man pretty much all of these American owned AR rifle companies produce a pretty good product.

3. RickK1974

RickK1974 New Member

I really like my Colt LE6920 carbine. I heard these were recently discontinued. You can get one for around $1150.00 new. The LE6920 is very high quality. Mil-Spec barrel and components and rigorous QC before it leaves Colt. It is also a Colt Defense LLC gun and not a commercial gun. I only have 600 rounds through the Colt so far but no issues at all.

I also have the Colt LE6940 with the monolithic upper and quad rail which is a top line AR in my opinion. That one I believe you can get now for around 1400 to 1500 bucks.

I also like my Stag Arms Model 2 carbine alot. It comes in around slightly under a thousand bucks and is a quality AR. I have over 3000 rounds through mine with no issues.

I had a River SR-556 gas piston AR. I sold it. It exhibited alot of carrier tilt which was shaving the inside of the buffer tube. Even at lower gas settings. Also had some feed problems with it. I am not sold on the gas PISTONS ARs at all.

4. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

Have you looked at Del-ton? I am putting a 16" mid kit together for under $600. But they also complete rifles for about $750. I have yet to see anything wrong with there quality or service.

High angle hell. Death and destruction from above.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

If the Colt 6920 has been discontinued, it's been very recently, like within the past couple weeks. They just raffled one off in October.

6. RickK1974

RickK1974 New Member

I heard it has happened within the past few weeks. Some of the gun websites like Buds Guns are including the "get em while you can" language on their site. Great weapons.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

Maybe that's why they had the free raffle. :(

8. RickK1974

RickK1974 New Member

This is the exact language Buds is using:

Colt has discontinued their Law Enforcement Carbines !
    Last remaining LE6920 and LE6940 models in stock for $1199 and $1399 DELIVERED!

The 1399 for throw 6940 is a really good price in my opinion.

9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

The LE6920 has been discontinued but the SP6920 is in production and on shelfs for under $1k.

BCM is a great AR to go with and can be had at your price point.

You can get a Daniel Defense for around $1300. DD is awesome.

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

That's my understanding too. Colt's SP line is cheaper than the LE but basically the same rifle except for markings. If you want to pay a few hundred more to Bud's for a rifle that says "Law Enforcement Only", well it's legal if you're in a free state.

It's pretty hard to beat BCM, Colt or Daniel Defense.

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Q, I will admit the LE markings have a certain draw to them but like you said from what I know they are the same. As soon as they produce a mid length I'm getting it, funds dependent, but then again it might be worth the fight that would definitely ensue if I went the credit card route :)

13. RickK1974

RickK1974 New Member

I had always heard you are buying the "name" with Colt and that may be a bit true but the quality is definitely there too. As well as resale value if you decide to go down a different road later on.

14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  15. Brother_COM

Brother_COM New Member

Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys! (Sorry about my "AR" ignorance on my other post!) Dooooooh. Line n' learn!

Remember I want good accuracy, will these rifles achieve 1 MOA @ 100 yards? I've seen some RRA rifels offer "Chromaloy Barrels" What does that mean? oh,... maybe I should go to wikipedia! :D

P.S. Would you guys mind placing a link to a distributor or an on-line review when suggesting an assau....... I mean a rifle ;)

Thanks again,
    Glen

16. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

If you want affordable and accurate AR based rifle do look hard at the RRA varment rifles. I have watched several of there rifle shoot well better than 3/8" 100 yard groups with hand loads but still shoot under 5/8 with some federal NM ammo. You may have to wait to get one.

17. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

That right there trumps everything. When I read "hoem security" my first thought is the same every time, DD, BCM, LMT, Colt. When I put my rifles in the safe guess which one is in front for quick access for that "just in case/ what if" moment, my Daniel Defense. The BCM is directly behind it ;).

For durability you can reference the DD Torture Test video by L. Vickers or the article Filthy 14 for a good look at what BCM is capable of.

I also use both for 3gun and can quickly engage 8" and 10" steel plates @ 100 yrds w/ a non magnified red dot w/ even when zeroed at 25 yrds. I just place the dot on the bottom of the plate.

BravoCompanyUSA.com

BCM Complete AR15 Upper and Lower Receivers [2010-01-01] - 03DESIGNGROUP
    ********************************************************** "Filthy #14 is the most used, and has (as 12-24-09) 28905 rounds down range. The barrel is original. It has never had a brush put through it. -At 16,400 rounds bolt lug cracked. Replaced the bolt carrier group

-At approximately 26,000 rounds fired a 5 shot 50m group that went into 0.5". This might not be that tight at 100 meters.

-At 26,450 rds had 3 failures to extract. Replaced BCG and cleaned gun for the first time

We use only SLip2000 EWL for lube and Slip 2000 725 to clean.

**All of the rounds were fired during class (at the rate of approximately 1,250 rounds every 3 days)**

I do not recommend allowing the gun to go this long without PM (preventive maintenance). However, we wanted to see how far we could take this particular gun (#14) without being burdened by the myth of meticulous cleaning."
    [I've read reports that BCM #14 went 51,000 rds]

https://danieldefense.com/

18. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

plus one for stag. i have a stag model 4. its been great. 1000 rounds with one issue and that was due to my magazine. i got mine for 900 even with tax and all. im happy with mine and given the chance would do it again.. at 50 yards i can do 1 moa or better. at 100 yards i have a larger group but i think that it is more of me and not the rifle. STAG,, there affordable,reliable, have a lifetime warrenty

19. MrWray

MrWray New Member

+1 for Stag, ive owned a Stag M4 for a few years now..love it