Best bang for my buck

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by ModerndayAnnieoakley, Oct 28, 2012.

1. ModerndayAnnieoakley

ModerndayAnnieoakley New Member

I am looking at getting my boyfriend a shotgun for his birthday. He is starting to hunt more now and would like to have the option of his bow or a gun. I am more into pistols/handguns and have not touched a shot gun since I was a little girl (soo...no clue what to look for). I am looking for something under 300 bucks preferably, but that is a little flexible. I would like at least two or three options that I can personally look into and look at a few gun stores around me. Thanks!

2. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. Check with the store and make sure he can return it if you get the wrong "something". Your heart is in the right place, but I would really advise a gift certificate. If he is a gun guy, he probably knows EXACTLY what he wants. Tell him I said he's a lucky guy.

3. ModerndayAnnieoakley

ModerndayAnnieoakley New Member

This guy talks about every gun in the book and usually likes the ones that are far from my budget. ha He just needs a gun right now that has a good history on it, a decent price, and a hunters gun? Like I said all I would like it options that I can look into if this is the route I want to go for a present. I am stuck between buying a gun or giving him money to fix his jeep up.

4. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

A Remington 870 is a great shotgun. I don't know any gun lovers that would turn one down.

5. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

New or used?

New: I'd say the Mossberg 500 field. It's a good reliable shotgun. It's probably the best bang for your buck out there.

Used: I'd say an 870 Wingmaster from about 5-10 years back. They're better quality than those of today.

6. BRAD313

BRAD313 New Member

Mossberg 500 combo u get the slug barrel n a field barrel for about 300 or remington 870 combo its about 100 bucks more tho both are good guns either way u go he will get years of fun out of them

7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

H&R or Savage/Stevens................

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

9. englishpointer

englishpointer New Member

Not a big fan of mossberg safety but I grew up shooting Remington so ask him what he likes best if he has experience with one or the other but your choices are limited with the budget u have set to spend

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the Remington M870 or the Mossberg M500 are probably going to be the best choices new, in your price range. both are proven performers and taken care of, will last for many hunting seasons.

11. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

+1 except for a decent 870 I'd go back at LEAST 10 years and more like 20. Here's an option for sport and small-medium game plus defense.

There is another combination with a scoped rifled slug barrel for medium-big game plus defense.

He'll love it, and you.

Attached Files:

12. Kemosabe

Kemosabe New Member

I'm another in favor of Mossberg. Their barrels are interchangable, and you can get one for hunting and one for fun and HD. I will be picking up mine this week and cannot wait.

13. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

14. rocshaman

rocshaman New Member

I'm a huge 870 fan but I have an older one and they are a lot better than the new ones. If you have to have new then I'd agree with a lot of the guys here the Mossberg 500 is the way to go and, you can replace the cheesy saftey for fairly cheap.