Best bang for my buck?!

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by JTEX, Feb 11, 2012.

1. JTEX

JTEX New Member

Looking for my first 1911! I'm looking for a cheap commander size gun and planning on putting some Wilson combat parts into it as I go. I was sold on the RIA but now I've started looking at all the other "cheapies" so my question is... What would be the best 1911 for the money considering I will be putting a couple hundred dollars into it as the cash comes?

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I'd think about hunting down a used SA GI or Mil Spec, maybe a Colt, something of that nature. Good basic pistols. If your going to build something, start with a good foundation. Putting & fitting $300+ worth of parts on a $400 pistol doesn't make sense to me. YMMV.

3. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

Listen to the penguin

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Just 3-4 weeks ago Bud's had the Sig C3 w/CT grips on sale for under $800. No kidding. Kinda wish I'd have bit. Maybe it'll go back on sale at some point. Looks like this:

[​IMG]

5. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

that C3 is amazing at 800.00!! Please alert the boys here on the forum should you come across that again.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Want the best Commander out there today?

Want one that needs absolutely no upgrading?

Save a few nickels and get the Colt 21st Century Wiley Clapp Commander.
    [​IMG]

The Colt 21st Century Wiley Clapp Commander

• Suggested Retail $1379
    • Series '70 style action with no firing pin safety and improved trigger pull
    • Alloy receiver for a light pistol that carries easy
    • Original style small safety, slide lock and magazine catch, no extensions
    • Front & rear slide serrations
    • Long black trigger, flat S&A mainspring housing
    • Colt's new beavertail grip safety for comfort in long shooting sessions
    • Special Novak sights – extra-wide notch and bead front for any-light shooting
    • Tactical Oval grips with forward taper and fingerprint checkering
    • Pete Single 25 lpi checkering on the pistol's front-strap
    • Special factory serial number run

Part# 04840WC

It's one sweet 70 series Commander.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Well first off I'd stay with the RIA for the money-
    2nd- Why (or how) put another $200 into it :confused:
    I can understand putting mabe a hundred into a good gun for xtra goodies-
    I bought my RIA Tactical & added a MSH/Magwell & grips but what else would we want?

8. JTEX

JTEX New Member

Ok ok ok... I think you guys missed 1 word I threw in my post... CHEAP!!! If I had the money I would love to have any of the guns mentioned BUT, I don't. Haha
    I'm looking for a 1911 I can buy for cheap and use it to tinker on and learn more about the 1911..
    Maybe I can afford one of those nice pieces mentioned in the future

9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Again- Start with the RIA :cool:

[​IMG]

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

CHEAP!!! is always expensive. (and a compromise)

What are the long term consequences of instant gratification?

11. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Cane we all can't afford 30 or 40 Colts like you...lol. My first 1911 was a Charles Daly and for under 300 bucks it has been a work horse. Maybe one of these days I'll get to a colt but man that is a lot of coin to let go of.

12. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I kinda agree with both of you-
    I had a CD once & it was the worst POS i've ever had :(

13. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

The only issue I had with it was firing HPs out of it when I first got it, but once I polished the feed ramp I haven't had any issues with it. I have put probably 6k rounds through it and it was my EDC for 5 or 6 years.

14. bub72ck

bub72ck New Member

The Remington R1 can be had for under $600. I've never shot one so no information but it's just one I have found on the lower price side. Someone who has tried it can chime in with a review...

15. gollygee

gollygee New Member

For tinkering on & learning, nothing wrong with the RIA, American Classic or Citadel. Just don't expect to buy it for $500, add $200-$300 in mods & end up with a $700-$800 gun. It'll still be a used RIA, etc. & probably worth less than the $500 you paid for it, unless you found someone that really loved the mods you made & was willing to also cover part of that cost.

But, if you want a good base gun to build into a custom gun with some value to it, save up to get a better starter pistol, such as a 'bare bones' Colt, Springfield, etc. I know a guy that keeps his eye open for old used Colts that he can pick up cheap. Then he sends it to Wilson to have his magic performed on it. When it's all done, he has a well respected name brand pistol in tip top condition, including a new finish plus hand fitted/tuned with about the same investment as if he had bought a new mass produced one.

16. JTEX

JTEX New Member

Thanks for all the input guys! I def respects everyone's opinions. If anybody finds a great deal online let me know.. I'm wanting to buy sometime this month probably.

17. nightal

nightal New Member

If you want a Commander size pistol 4 1/4'' Barrel, RIA does not make that pistol, they make a 4''pistol with a cone barrel, no bushing. American Classic makes a 4 1/4'' pistol you may like, it's in your price range.start looking at the pawn shops for a used pistol, sometimes there are some deals there?????...........:D

18. JTEX

JTEX New Member

Really? I'm pretty sure that RIA has a mid size 1911 I think it has a 4 1/4" barrel??

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

20. Olympus

Olympus New Member

I learned my lesson on budget 1911s. Owned an Armscor and an American Classic. Both had severe issues within the first few months. My advice would be to save your "improvement" money and put it towards a better quality gun. You will have to delay gratification, but you'll end up owning a higher quality gun that will be worth more in the end. Put $300 into a $500 Rock Island and you still have a low end 1911. But buy an $800 1911 and you have a very solid and respectable mid-range 1911.

I've done the same thing you're talking about doing. Took an American Classic Commander and customized the crap out it. Good gun, but not something anyone else would be willing to pay for.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012