best at 1000

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by bclark1, May 30, 2013.

1. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

What are yalls opinions on the best 1000yd caliber, rifle, and scope. This is by price also the lower the better.

2. kalboy26

kalboy26 New Member

I'm not a regular 1000 yard shooter, I stop around 700. But... I would say the gun you already own though is the best one, just spend the money you would on a gun on ammo :)

3. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

a long range course at frontsight will get you there

4. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

What is frontsight and where is it located.

5. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

For me it is a Sharps .45-110-535 with a 32" Leatherwood Malcome scope.:)

Attached Files:

6. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Probably more testing for long range bullets than any other gun was done on the 45/70 back in Dango's day.

7. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

For competition?

9. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

10. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

No I would just be recreational shooting and hunting.

11. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

FrontSight is doing some interesting stuff,..so is Gunsite Here In Az(about an hour away from me). Either way get the training!

12. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

Any good classes in west tx?

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

please tell me you don't plan on hunting at 1000 yards! not in any way ethical or responsible by any means. shooting at steel or paper at that distance is only a miss and no big deal, but wounding an animal and allowing it to run off and die from being poorly shot is not humane shooting or hunting.

14. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

Out to 800 or 900 yards there are many many people that shoot mule deer and elk every season. I would not be taking any shots I did not feel comfortable taking or at a distance I had not acurately and CONSISTANTLY shot at before. 1000 yds would be a max distance in perfect conditions and when possible a stalk closer would always be attempted.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

honestly how many people do you know that can make 800-900 yard shots accurately? honestly?

do you fully realize how far 800-900 yards is realisticly? almost to and over half a mile!

target shooting from a bench and shooting in the wild from less than perfect conditions are two very different scenarios.

i am actually getting kind of curious about your shooting experiance and how long you have been shooting and hunting now.

16. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I live in the Rocky Mtns and the High Plains. I was hunting before this Sniper craze started. I have never seen an Elk taken at 1,000 yards.
    A Bull Elk at 1,000 yards looks like a cockier spaniel. The chances of putting that bullet in the 10" kill zone at that range is nearly impossible.
    I can not imagine anything more irresponsible than wounding a majestic elk a gift of nature by taking such a shot.:(

17. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

I have shot at paper at 900 yds with a friends rifle and been accurate. Same friend has taken pigs out at 700 yds. All shots are taken prone and wind and distance calculations are dialed in. Ever seen the show best of the west on the outdoor channel the show is about extreme distance shooting(out to 1000 yds) they do teach however that the proper equiepment and experience is needed to take ethical shots. I also hate seeing animals wounded by bad shots and assure you I would not take a shot I am not comfortable with whether it be 100 yds or 800 yds. With the new rifles and long range scopes the exact windage and distance can be diled in snd still be very accurate with lots of practice at long ranges.

18. bclark1

bclark1 New Member

Just google long range hunting. There are entire forums specializing in long range hunting. There are sub forums dedicated to hunting and shooting at well over 1000 yds. One of the classes mentioned earlier on this thread teaches a class where perticipants learn to shoot accurately at 1 mile. I also feel that due to the difficulty of such shots they are unethical IF the shooter is not well experienced at shooting at those long distances.

19. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I would imagine a caliber in the 6.5 flavor that has good ballistics, a damn good rifle on a strong action, and a nice night force or zeiss or another high quality glass. Expect $2000 in glass.

20. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Cheap and long range don't mix. Especially if your goofy enough to want to hunt at that range.