Best ar15 iron sights

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by moneymaker17, Jun 3, 2012.

1. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

what are some very well built iron sights, that people are very happy with.
    man ive been looking at some and their like a tough plastic, what the heckkkk?????
    ahh kind of at a low cost bugget as well but we will see how the funds are.
    Thanks

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I like the Troy sights, and I also have a GG&G rear sight that has worked well.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

under 100 magpul mbus is about it.

100 each is the next price point. i like the midwest industries slp sight its very slim and has a very large peep and a nice small peep for precision. the large is great for rainy weather and fast acquisition.

best precision are the rra detachable national match irons. but they run a little more. rra is the only detachable that works reliably with f marked fsb from 100-800m you get a choice of 1/2 or 1/4 moa clicks

so it really depends on your intended use

4. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

You can find a metric ton of used like new Matech rear sights on ebay for about $35.

5. nukinfuts29

nukinfuts29 New Member

Another vote for rra detachable national match irons

6. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Magpul MBUS or Troy BUIS, never really had a desire for anything else.

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Low budget? Get used to the polymer MBUS. You'll be glad you did.

8. xRacerX75x

xRacerX75x New Member

Would it have negative effect if I used a RRA rear sight and a magpul front sight... aside from it looking a little funny?

9. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Id personally recommend Diamondheads.

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Just have to be cautious with the MagPul sights if you have a gas block rail. You can't use them on a gas block because of temperature and height.

11. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I went with the Troy sights. Looked at and like the Magpul as well.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Probably not, but there are some manufacturers like ArmaLite, Bushmaster, DPMS and others that use the old A2 height front and rear sights on a flat top receiver instead of A4. In that case you need to either use their sights to be able to zero the irons or buy a taller front sight post then use the standard height rear sights like Magpul. (I went through this with my ArmaLite upper but it was the front sight that was low, in your case it could be the rear.) I think RRA uses normal A4 height sights but be sure before mixing with another brand.

As SSGN_Doc said you don't want to put the MBUS on a railed gas block which from your avatar it looks like that's what you have.

ETA:

Post a close up of your carry handle if that's what your talking about. Make sure we can see the sight area and I or someone else can tell you if it's A2 or A4 height.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  13. xRacerX75x

xRacerX75x New Member

Well I know I should have my a** kicked for not updating my avatar but I've added a low profile gas block and went with a YHM mid-length quad rail for a little more real estate out front. But by doing that I can mount the front sight on the same plane as the rear sight. Also I'm not using a carry handle, I'll be using the RRA dominator mount with my EOTech. And on my thread that I started about that particular rear sight and mount I was told a standard front sight would work, true or false?

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Which rear sight? The EOTech as a ghost ring? Or a flip up BUIS?

Anyway, leaving out the optics for now, my answer above still stands. Milspec height (A4) front and rear irons will zero, commercial (A2) height front and rear irons will zero. Mix the heights and it may not zero.

15. xRacerX75x

xRacerX75x New Member

The fixed rear sight that comes on the Dominator mount, and I did some research and it's an A2 sight so I just ordered a Midwest Industries standard height A2 flip-up front sight(RRA sells them as their rail mounted flip-up sight). Once I get them both in and mounted I'll up date my avatar and post some pics. Thanks for the help Q!