Best AR

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by JPenn856, Jun 12, 2012.

1. JPenn856

JPenn856 New Member

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find a match. So, I'm just curious as to what peoples opinions are about the best brand name for AR-15's.

Like the 1911, everyone and their brother seems to make one. What are the best brand names though. I'm looking at a last years model bushmaster.

2. JPenn856

JPenn856 New Member

Also I live in the communist state of New Jersey, so I have to stay away from colt.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Skip the bushmaster. If you're looking at that atleast 'upgrade' to a windham weaponry. I'll leave the huge list and arguments you have coming to other members. ;)

4. ktmboyz

ktmboyz New Member

Thats going to stir a lot of opinions :rolleyes: That all depends on how much money you want to spend and what you are going to use it for. Are you talking a combat rifle or a national match rifle for shooting long range ? I myself like the Daniel Defense and Yankee Hill Machine, Larue also makes some nice stuff but the price tag matches. There are some really top end stuff out there but for and AR I want to be able to use it and not be afraid to scratch it.

5. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

No such thing; just as there is no such thing as a "best" handgun. There are better builds out there than others. If you had a price range and purpose you had in mind, you would probably get better feedback.

I've seen some guys at the range with $5,000 custom AR's they are using for competitions that are amazingly fantastic rifles (I wouldn't doubt some cost 2x or 3x that much). But they would not be a good choice at all for most other applications.

So can you provide some more detail of what your criteria are?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I'm with Scott on this one OP.

There is no "one" magical, BEST when it comes to such a broad platform as the AR.

Do you want a mid to longe range gun? You will want a longer barrel (20",22"), heavier optics and might not even want to go with the standard 5.56/.223 caliber

Do you want a door kicking, room clearing bullet hose? You will want a short barreled rifle (SBR), maybe in the 12.5" barrel category, with a collapsible stock and heads up optics.

Do you want a short, street to street, urban sweeping application? You might want a 14" or 16" barrel with a low power optic (1X-4X) that still offers some decent knockdown power and reliability.

If you are looking to just own the most drool worthy stick out there that will turn all the heads at the range you will probably want to go with more of a dedicated true custom, and not a production run, gun.

I am not a fan of the man, but the work that comes out of his facility has always been top shelf and while I have only ever shot two AR's with his stamp, both were incrediably well made, accurate and beautiful.

http://www.dlsports.com/signature_firearms_ar15.html

JD

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

A little more searching will easily turn up hashes and rehashes of this subject. Get some popcorn and settle in for the night!

8. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Nothing is Best. Budget and purpose determine the BEST. ;).

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

"best for what??" is the eternal next part.

shtf??
    kicking in doors urban combat??
    zombies??
    varminting??
    deer hunting??
    target plinking??
    hanging on the wall??
    door stop??
    harpooning seals??
    whale hunting??

i like Bravo Company, Rock River Arms and Colt

10. JPenn856

JPenn856 New Member

I know I'm spending money on this gun. More or less I'm asking honest opinion because I know this could easily turn into a glock vs. 1911 thread and I'm not interested in that. I'm looking for a rough and tumble gun that I can drop, pick it up, brush it off, and empty a mag without it pitching a fit. I've researched for a couple years (I've been a bolt action guy. Now breaking into the auto loading world) and some say they are unreliable trash, others say they can't be beat. Some love a certain brand where others say that same brand is just an expensive piece of trash. Like every gun, for every one positive there is a negative. I really would rather have a Springfield armory m1a for its reliability, accuracy, and gorgeous look, but I don't want to pay for 308 rounds.

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

for that i went with bravo company.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I have BCM, Daniel Defense and ArmaLite. My buddy has Bushmaster. Most of my recent experience is with those four ARs. The BM is the worst, the ArmaLite is all right. I admit that's a small sample but if I were buying another I'd go with BCM or DD (or Colt).

13. okdonk

okdonk New Member

DD just raised up their prices as shown in their site. The new prices included their newly released M4 rails, in some models.

14. JPenn856

JPenn856 New Member

What is it that makes people say stay away from bushmaster. I always remember heading good things about them.

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

The main thing about BM is you usually can get a better AR for the same money - BCM for example. And the really cheap BM, the C-15, is one to avoid.

16. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

LMT
    BCM
    Colt
    RRA
    Daniel Defense
    LWRCI

17. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Jersey's rules are going to limit your choices. Not all builders offer the post-ban configuration as an off the shelf choice, some like PSA don't offer it at all. Stag, RRA and Windham do...not sure about BCM or Daniel Defense. Colt, as you stated, is a no no. Whatever you decide just be sure that the foregrip or rail system you choose is what you really want because that gas block and barrel nut aren't coming off unless you dremil off the muzzle brake.

18. mrwintr

mrwintr New Member

This probably because they used to be their own company a few years ago, maybe more, then they became part of Freedom group and freedom group is owned or owns Remington....so as a company gets sucked into these big companies well things start to be built even cheaper and faster and I guess you can figure from that why people shy away more from them these days.
    I have noticed they are somewhat more available then most of the other companies AR's and this would lead me to believe that they are producing them on a scale that lacks real quality control, Or they have availablility because people are shying away...??
    My dealer just got in a Bushmaster Carbon 15, because it was the only thing less than $1K that was available and it really looks cheap. I couldn't even get the upper to swing open from the lower, something made it stay stuck together...?? Not impressed at all.
    Now Windham Weaponary has fired up in the old Bushmaster factory in Maine and with many of the old Bushmaster staff, they are doing a great job building their rifles and their customer service is awesome.

19. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Again I don't see why anyone would consider anything but BCM. Look around this site and all the rest. Like I've said before I challenge anyone to find 5 separate instances in all of internet land of BCM not being GTG or 1 instance of their CS not being above average.

20. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Personal preference? Freedom to choose? No desire to own the same weapon as everyone else?

And an overall aversion to being sucked into the "elite vacuum" of AR15dotcom? :rolleyes:

JD