Best AR under $8-900

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by kjbcruz12, Oct 17, 2013.

1. kjbcruz12

kjbcruz12 New Member

Help me out with some good names and more importantly why you think they're the best(chrome lined barrel, scope/red for included, ertc). I know the usual brands but as far as certain models I'm not too sure.

2. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I'm just bookmarking this thread for later.

3. longunner

longunner New Member

Your gunna hear alot of build PSA asking this question on this forum :D

4. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Your right and alot of people on here think alot of us work for PSA , Which we do not. However there arent many high quality rifles out there in that range your looking for . You will always hear people say save a little more money and buy brand C or brand D or add a little more and buy brand N .
    SO here it goes :D high quality , mil spec rifle way under your budget $582 shipped to my door in the mid west . Use the rest of your budget for optics and ammo

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/featured/psa-blemished-bullet-pictogram-lower.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-16-m4-moe-rifle-kit.html

Putting it together is like putting a kids puzzle together . Its not real hard . My youngest age 10 has put 90% of one together with my help . It takes very minimal tools . A hammer , screw driver , needle nose and punch will get everything done . There are specialty tools but you dont NEED them to get it built properly

5. longunner

longunner New Member

Man I wish I could have another one I hate living in NY

6. kjbcruz12

kjbcruz12 New Member

Ok so without building one, can y'all help me out?

7. CJx

CJx New Member

Palmetto state armory, Core 15

8. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I like my M&P15 well enough. It is a no dust cover/forward assist model but did come with a Magpul MBUS on it. Pretty good shooting rifle. I put a Nikon P223 on it. It's no bolt gun as far as accuracy but I don't expect it to be.

9. Mercator

Mercator New Member

First, what do you want to do with it. A lightweight tactical carbine, a precision target shooter, a truck gun, etc. No one model is best at everything.

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

PSA has some pretty good deals when they run their rifle sales, in your price range under $900 your limited . Delton makes a decent rifle in your range .

Really , its not hard to put one together and eventually your going to need to disassemble it to clean it up good one day, so this would familiarize yourself with it . You cant put the wrong parts in the wrong holes , they just dont fit right .
    There is only 31 parts in a lower parts kit and 37 total in the lower build kit, the upper will already be assembled you just have to set it on the top of the lower and push 2 pins in . Your first build might take you 35-40 minutes watching a video . It takes me about 15 minutes to build the complete lower . Its Really pretty simple . Like I said my 9 yr old put 95% of one together by himself with me watching ,I just had to hold the lower while he drove the bolt catch pin in and help him get the trigger guard roll pin started . When you pour the parts out the first time it is a bit over whelming but if you lay them out like the pic below and follow a good quality video off of youtube it can be done very simply .
    Who ever laid this diagram must have thought part#7 was not needed as its missing on the page. I just caught that :) so we will call the disconnector spring part #7 :D
    I have a couple of lowers coming first of next week , maybe I will just do a nice slow video of a lower build up close and personal to show how easy it really is

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

If you want to go down to your local store and walk out with a complete rifle on the cheap, S&W offers some decent ARs in the $650-900 range. That's where I'd start under those circumstances.

You can also buy complete rifles, and complete upper and lower halves (no 'building' required) from PSA on the cheap. This is where you're likely to get the most rifle for your money. $200 complete lower, $400-500 complete upper, $200 sight package.

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

So true ,
    If you order everything below , when you get it all you will need to do is set the upper on top of the lower and push in the 2 pins . $750 plus shipping
    Anytime I have ordered them like this the CH and the BCG always come in the upper so you wont even have to put those in it .

Heres the complete built lower $179
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...e-blem-lower-classic-edition-no-magazine.html

Optics and BCG $249

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...graved-5-56-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group.html

16" carbine upper $299

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

Charging handle $19

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ng-handles/ar15-m16-charging-handle-6792.html

13. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Spikes tactical is an excellent choice in your price range. And they have a lifetime warranty with great customer service

14. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

In that price range, and you don't want to build huh?

S&W
    Windham Weaponry
    Stag Arms

15. jord1985

jord1985 New Member

You can have another, it's none of cuomos damn business

16. jord1985

jord1985 New Member

For that price range you can either get decent parts and build or you can get a mediocre run of the mill AR

No build you can get a DPMS or a Smith and Wesson m&p sport (slick side model no forward assist or dust cover)

OR

You can shop around and find some deals. I'm doing a build right now for my dad and using primarily PSA, aim surplus has some good deals too on stripped lowers

$350- PSA complete upper with CHF double chrome thickness lined barrel 1:7 twist 5.56 NATO carbine length gas system (these are are some of the best barrels made by FN- also used by spikes tactical for their rifles oh and FN makes the m249 saw barrels for the DOD)

$80- spikes tactical cosmetic blem lower from aimsurplus.com

$67- PSA lower parts kit with QMS trigger

$139- spikes m16 BCG from aimsurplus (free shipping right now!)

$45- BCM mod 4 (med) charging handle, pretty much going rate around haven't seen them below $40 don't pay over $50

$150- spikes buffer/stock kit (includes mil spec buffer tube T2 heavy buffer, and magpul CtR stock)

$60- magpul folding rear sight

That's $891 total, under your budget but the above components blow away a stock DPMS or the slick side m&p

You could even do it for cheaper
    -Get a spikes buffer kit with a regular stock instead of the magpul will save $50
    -regular ch instead of bcm will be $12 save $40
    -basic BCG can be had for $100 or less save another $40

Right there that brings you in at $761 +/- for shipping and tax. Trust me the upgrades are only moderate compared to what you can really do to them. In the long run they will pay off, cry once buy once. Trust me you may THINK you only want the basics but just wait you'll be back. Toying with ARs is like a disease.

You're gonna have a great barrel that will last forever, a mil spec legit lower, nice upgraded trigger, reliable BCG, smooth recoil with the heavy buffer, comfortable magpul stock. It'll be reliable, and you won't be disappointed.

Another advantage to building is once you purchase the lower at an FFL and do the background check the rest of the parts can be shipped directly to your doorstep! You can take your time and save more funds to build a nicer AR than you would get doing it all at once.

GOOD LUCK!