best ar for under 900?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by tacticalfun, May 2, 2012.

1. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Im not looking to defend my family with it. But i do want something good at the range

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Your options will be a bit limited at that price. You could probably get something used or maybe an m&p.

3. BallisticSurgeon

BallisticSurgeon New Member

I have an Eagle Arms (made by Armalite) and I got it new right at $800. It shoots really well.

4. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

For 9 Benjamins you could build your own and and be proud of it - read the stickies, read the build threads do some online shopping then get back to us.

Lots of folks here will gladly help you along the way ;)

5. pfev1980

pfev1980 New Member

My windham weaponry was 829. It's beautiful.

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Good advice, OP, a lot of us do just what Dog said. I wouldn't wait too long though, parts are getting scarcer and more expensive every day. Of course this affects the price of complete rifles too. I'm starting a BCM build that should come in around $950 before optics.

7. leftoverture

leftoverture New Member

My M&P Sport was just over $600. Can't go wrong with that.

8. Jkl-28

Jkl-28 New Member

Maybe check out DPMS they have some inexpensive rifles and they are a good quality gun

9. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

You can build a really nice AR for that amount, even with current prices. I'd recommend checking out PSA, BCM and a few others as well. PSA, nicely, sells everything you need short of the lower receiver and the sights for less than $700.

10. jasonlarue1013

jasonlarue1013 New Member

I agree...cuz I am doing it. Mainly thru PSA they are having a great sale. Bought this upper http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ped-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html
    And check their lower receiver kit with trigger and most reasonable buffer tube kit with standard stock I could find.

11. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

12. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Is the stag for 800 any good? Or bushmaster orc?

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

For $800 or a little more you can do better than those two.

I agree that PSA has some great prices. Like Jason I recently bought their milspec receiver extension kit (with buffer, spring, end plate and castle nut - no slider) and the quality was really good and for only $40.

14. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

You can tell me if you agree, but I'd rather order the PSA rifle kit, buy a lower and some irons, and go to the range than buy a bushy.

15. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I definitely agree Ben, the PSA kit + your own stripped lower is a great deal any day of the week. Slap on a $57 MBUS 2 and you're ready to go! And still in the $800 +/- budget.