Best ammo for

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by tenntyrant, Nov 8, 2011.

1. tenntyrant

tenntyrant New Member

I have 1100 rounds of xm193 and now want to buy what ever is the best ammo I can get for self defense for my ar it is a 1 in 9 twist. I know the better ammo is more expensive that's why I stocked up on the cheaper stuff first. So if anyone can tell me what to get I would be thankful. I was thinking 68 or 69 grain. Thanks

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

My sd stuff in ar15 is just 55grn fmj boat tail, 55grn soft point, or 55grn hp. Just whatever happens to be handy. I wish i could oc my ar whever i go but that isnt liekly to happen.

3. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

This! The heavier stuff is just going to cost you a bunch more to get. There's a ton of 5.56 ammo available these days at various places that is under $0.30 per round that's good to go for defense. Like Jon, I have about 1,000 rounds of soft-point ammo, which will work just fine on soft targets, but my standard loadout is to go with fmj, which will give a somewhat better performance on harder targets.

4. Redarrow18

Redarrow18 New Member

Well with with heavier bullet weight, the more twist is needed to spin the bullet enough to stablize it in flight. I think 55 to 62 grains work best in a 1 to 9 twist rate

5. RickK1974

RickK1974 New Member

6. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  7. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I'm curious as to which bullets Hornady is using for the Z-Max ammo. There is not a Z-Max bullet on their site, and it doesn't say anywhere on the Z-Max listing. I'm starting to wonder if it's just a V-Max with a green polymer tip instead of the standard red.

Does anyone know for sure what bullet they're using?

-Fred

8. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Sorry about the pics, my phone has a mind of its freakin own.. I think that the "Z" more than likely just stands for zombie, but its even on the box as zmax

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

just from the picture of it, it looks like the ballistic tip bullets.

10. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Sorry if my first post was a little confusing. I'm not talking about the ammo. I know the ammo is called Z-Max, and yeah, it stands for zombie. I mean just the bullet itself. I was interested in buying some of the bullets and loading up some ammo with them, I just didn't see them listed on their site, which made me curious as to whether it was actually a new bullet, or whether they just changed the color of an old bullet as a marketing ploy.

-Fred

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

Its just the regular amax bullet painted green instead of red.