best ammo for protection?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by chevyforlife1972nova, Mar 26, 2010.

1. chevyforlife1972nova

chevyforlife1972nova New Member

I want to protect the family but not have over penatration what ammo do you suggest ?
    I have black talons, ranger sxt anything better?

2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

What caliber do you have?

Your best bet is to be SURE of what is downrange of your target. Tey to set up a backstop for home defense.

In my home I have a huge fireplace and the kids rooms are all on the right of the house from where I would be sleeping.

The main thing is be sure of your target and what is beyond it before you engage.

They do make frangible handgun rounds.

3. chevyforlife1972nova

ammo

what is the names of the frangblies? i use the glock 40 cal as the home def. gun and a pump 12 ga. for the girlfriend

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

The Ranger SXT is as good as any. I keep my .45 loaded with them. My bedside gun (41mag) is loaded with Gold Dots. If you're worried about overpenetration with the shotgun I'd suggest loading the 1st 2 rounds with 2 3/4" #4 turkey magnums and the rest with #1 buck or #4 buck. The most important thing by far is to make SURE what's behind your target when you shoot. This has to be instilled in through training and more training. In an actual defense situation your training will take precedence through instinct over thinking because all thought processes will go out the window. Massive amounts of adrenaline dumping into your system is the culprit of that. Practicing drills will help immensely toward instinctive action and your aiming/shooting.

5. chevyforlife1972nova

thank you very much for your time guys

6. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

+1

I use Ranger SXT and Federal HST.

7. chevyforlife1972nova

i have some old black talons sell them and buy rangers?

should i sell the origial talons i have for rangers?

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The ammo you have in the gun the moment you need to use it!

9. chevyforlife1972nova

haha

thanks for your comment

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Feds!

[​IMG]

11. chevyforlife1972nova

very nice how much do they run ?

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG] Federal HST

Attached Files:

13. chevyforlife1972nova

ok

sorry my fault for being lazy

14. canebrake

canebrake New Member

We all learn more by doing it vs spoon feeding. It's all good!

15. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

One thing that was discussed in a class that I took was to get down low. If you have time to crouch, you probably have time to aim more carefuly. But even so, if you are shooting in an upward motion and do miss, your round would probably be too high to hit anyone that was still in bed. Just knowing your surroundings is a big advantage. Just remember, someone that has just broken into your house probably does not know the layout.

A lot of people don't understand that a bullet doesn't stop at a wall. Just to see what would happen several of the range officers where I took my ccw class set up a test. They took sheetrock and 2x4s and made a framework. It was setup with a piece of rock then a 2x4 frame, then rock, then frame. They wanted to see how many pieces of rock a 45 fmj would penetrate. They had 18 sheets of rock. It went through all 18. Think about that. That bullet would have traveled through 9 walls as long as it did not hit a stud.

16. chevyforlife1972nova

thanks so much for everyone's input

17. glock2740

glock2740 New Member

I'm a big Gold Dot fan.

18. chevyforlife1972nova

I have heard that from a lot of people actually

19. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

"The most important thing by far is to make SURE what's behind your target when you shoot. This has to be instilled in through training and more training."

Stalkingbear, I'm going to disagree with you on this one. The most important thing is to be sure that you need to kill the guy you are thinking about killing, and then killing them just as dead as you can make them. If the subject isn't dangerous enough to be a lethal threat to everyone around him or her, then you should just dart into Hot Topics for a few minutes until he leaves. If the sumbeeyotch is ripping up the Food Court, he needs to be put down before HE can murder anyone else.
    In short, the single most important thing is removing the threat. Hitching and letting him shoot you just gives him another weapon. Dicking around until some shopper gets outside of a 45 degree cone just gives him more time to kill soccer moms. When it becomes clear that someone needs to die, don't screw around with second-guessing. Put the threat down, and do it completely. Be competent. Be accurate. But for Christ's sake, don't over-think the situation, because it may be your last earthly thought.