Best all arround scope for .338 win mag

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by rickde, Oct 18, 2012.

1. rickde

rickde New Member

Looking for new scope on my rifle . Going moose hunting soon . Long and medium range hunting area. Any advise? Been looking for an other classic leupold but wanna try something new

2. Dan308

Dan308 New Member

3. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

Look to Nikon Buckmaster or Monarch. Great glass and will stand up to that shoulder thumper.
    Del

4. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Get whichever brand you like the best, but one that has a lot of eye relief. For dangerous game, a leupold 1x5 x6 or similar is so much better than a 3x9, or 4x12 etc

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

On my .338 browning BAR, I have a Leupold VXIII, 3.5-10X50. I'm very satisfied with it.

6. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was in AK I scoped my 338 with a 1 3/4 X 6 Leupold. Most folks WAY over scope their hunting rifles. The 338 is what I call the 'Alaskan 06'!
    One of the thinks I insist on is BIG field of view 'up close'. On the 1 3/4 setting I could place a shot as close as a few feet (which is comforting if a bear is charging)!!!
    If you do not have open sights as a back up I strongly recommend you use dual dovetail mounts, if you have open sights I would recommend the Leupold Quick Release mounts.
    At six power I can take any shot at ANY BIG GAME animal out to 300+ yds.
    It don't get any better than that!!:)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  7. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  8. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

I would go with a striaght 4 or 6x scope.

Moose hunt you want a rugged scope that can take some abuse. I would not go with a variable as they are more fragile than a fixed power scope.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Moose hunting is not that rugged. They are like shooting road signs with a bad attitude. A good 4X or 6X is all you need. The rugged part of Moose hunting is capeing and field dressing on a slope in a snow storm. Oh and that little issue of packing it out. :D

10. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Could not agree more, a 4x would be my choice. Sad part is there are only a few manufacturers that make fixed power scopes any more. Most have gone full throttle into the "tactical" scope that in most cases is usless for hunting. Weaver and Leupold still do make proven fixed scopes.

Feild dressing is easier on a slope, open 'em up and let gravity empty the cavity. Getting them out is the biggest issue.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  11. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Having packed out many moose over the years I have to wonder? Dressing a Moose on a grade in a snow storm is good. You just open the Moose and the guts fall out?? Really how many animals have you really packed out?:D:rolleyes:

13. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Use gravity to your advantage when possible

If possible try to position the animal where his head is higher or on the uphill slope so it allows for the majority of the guts and blood to drain out of the chest cavity making your job a little easier. Especially with bigger animals where moving them is an issue.

Here is where it's from. You've seriously never heard of this??? Been doing this for years.
    http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/articles/guttingtips/

14. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

15. locutus

Youse gize are making me jealous.

I've never experienced a "gravitic eviseration.":D

16. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

17. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Yes but did you ever try to explain gravatational pull to a dead Moose?:D They don't always fall in the right direction as dictated in Mark Trails Hunting tips. Moving a 1,000 lbs of dead weight in wet snow and mud is a problem.
    And don't mind three horses who think the smell of blood is the open gate at the Cheyenne Rodeo.:eek:

18. locutus

:D:D I can tell you've been there!:D:D

19. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Yep and the only way you know about that is you have been there also.:D

20. rickde

rickde New Member

Thanks for all good advises and entertaining comments , i will leave the leupold vary XIII 2.5-8X that is alreaady mounted on my Ruger .338 . And seriously thinking about trying a fixed 6X for the next season. Bought a bushmell trophy xlt for my 30-30 (deer gun)

Thanks again!
    Richard D