Best all around gun

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by mahall, May 28, 2013.

1. mahall

mahall New Member

If you had only one gun to own! Conceal, HD, Range. Comfort, safety, and dependability!! 1 gun to serve all your needs!! 1 gun, what would it be!!

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

3. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Probably a XDMc, a M&Pc or an SR9c. All can be used for range or CCW because of the magazine options. Full size grip for the range with the extended magazine and compact with the standard mag.

....but no gun does everything well.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  4. AR10

AR10 New Member

Stuck with one life and one wife, most everything else no such thing as one.

5. hq357

hq357 New Member

My choice would be the glock 19, the glock 19s are probably the most popular pistols around ,the double stack magazines are capable of holding 15+1 rounds it is also compatible with the glock 17 round magazines also you if you wish you can pop in a 30 round extended magazine or add on the extended floor plate for 30+2 rounds of 9mm 9mm is also a very popular round it is a NATO standard as well, the glock 19 is smaller than the glock 17 but bigger than the glock 26 making it just right perfect for all around use, easy to conceal, also parts and pieces can be easily acquired almost all police stations have some sort of glock if an apocalypse came or shtf or something crazy where to happen the glock would most likely be easier to find, also it is very simple to use slide the mag in, rack the slide, and squeeze the trigger to the rear, its reputation for reliabilty has been proven all over the world. These are my opinions not facts, others may choose something different :)

6. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Guess if only one handgun it would also be a glock 19 for me. BUT and older gen 2, 2 1/2 or 3. No gen 4.

7. hq357

hq357 New Member

I agree, the gen 4s are a little different the internals are not compatible, the gen 4 slides are a bit different too, with the gen 3 you can interchange slides with a glock 18 in an apocalypse situation or end of the world if you ever found one im not sure if there is a gen 4 g18 so id stick to the original gen 3 or 2

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Okay, for all the listed above, I do believe I would best be served by a 4 in. revolver in .357 Magnum.

For small game, I'd used the .38 Special ball. I can still go hunting with the .357.
    It's not as large as some semi-autos, but large enough to tame recoil.
    Stock accuracy is normally better than a stock semi-auto.
    Dependability is inherrent to any revolver.
    HD, it should fill the bill nicely.

Although not as "cool" as a semi-auto, it seems to do all the jobs just as well (if not better).

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

best all round gun prolly a commander sized 1911 or a xdm compact both in 45acp. enough power to reliably take game good self defense utility lightweight easy to conceal

if i had to pick one gun out of my safe to keep as a do it all it would be my xdm compact 45acp

10. mahall

mahall New Member

I put a nice revolver on my hip and on my night stand, above anything else if I had to choose!! That sounds a bit hypocritical,, since my primary carry is a compact 9mm! But if I had to choose one, for all my needs!! Probably an SP101 357 mag 4"!!! I own the 2", but I would want the 4 for increased accuracy if it was my only gun.

11. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I would want a handgun that is easy to conceal, but still powerful. It needs to survive in the harshest environment. It must have at least a 15 shot capacity.

I choose......

The Noisy Cricket

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTqxFIpc1j4[/ame]

Attached Files:

12. phildenton

phildenton New Member

4" .357 mag. General purpose. Including backpacking and hunting.

13. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

The "one gun" I would buy is the one I bought first*, a S&W 4" .357.

* Actual 1st was a S&W 586, longest owned is a S&W 19.

Attached Files:

• 586.jpg
      586.jpg
      File size:
      30 KB
      Views:
    • 19-3.jpg
      19-3.jpg
      File size:
      27.9 KB
      Views:
  14. JW357

JW357 New Member

Beautiful!

15. SWIll

SWIll New Member

A S&W k-frame .38. All around great shooters, easy to conceal in a snub nose.

Attached Files:

16. Intheshop

Intheshop New Member

As much as I love the .38 sp.........S$W 14's and Colt DB's.

I'd opt for a 4" .357.Now,depending on ultimate "usage"....would start with a Python,then work down to a 686....then pare it down further twds a Ruger.YMMV.

17. ttsl

ttsl New Member

PF-9 keltec pocket 9, with the twisted Industries .22lr conversion unit for same. Can always use it to get a longarm, then use that to get a real fighting rifle, if ever need one.

18. Firenailer

Firenailer New Member

I'd have to go with my Ruger 5" GP100 .357

Rock solid dependable, and can knock down small game, large game and 2 legged predators without any problems.

Hard to pick one perfect gun, but it would be hard to go wrong with a .357!

19. Snubshooter

Snubshooter New Member

I think the one gun for EVERYTHING would be a 3" GP100 with the small grips. The internals will run a LONG time, it conceals well, it is light enough that packing is not a burden and it packs quite a punch w/357s to hunt with.
    My second choice would be a Glock 10mm G29. The only problem is ammo is pricey and hard to find sometimes(when there is ammo on the shelves). It is light to carry, lasts forever and packs a punch to hunt with.

20. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

either a 4" barreled GP100 or S & W 66, 19 or 686 or maybe a Commander sized 1911 in 45.

either of these would be good all purpose pistols that could cover a lot of bases.