Best all around bullet for .40 cal

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by amstutz, Apr 27, 2014.

1. amstutz

amstutz New Member

My son has asked me to load some .40 cal cartridges for him. I do not have a .40 pistol so I am not familiar with loading for that caliber. I have the dies, the powder, primers, and brass. I'm not sure what bullet weight to use for general, all around practice ammo. There is a wide range of weights so I would like some suggestions from veterans in the hand loading game. Thanks.

2. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Check into the Armscore bullets. They have been selling their bulk packs for really cheap lately.

As far as grain weight for a general practice load, just about any 165-180 should be perfect.

3. grandpabear

grandpabear New Member

I believe there is more published data for the 180grn. bullets. I have loaded 155,165 and 180s for my .40 using Titegroup. For plinking, I like 180s.

4. at_liberty

at_liberty New Member

180 gr will keep it subsonic and have a report you could better withstand, should you have to shoot without ear protection.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  5. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I reload everything from 155 to 180 gr cast & plated. They all work fine.
    That said, I have read a couple articles regarding 180s being especially unforgiving with setback issues. I've not had any issues myself, but it's food for thought:

http://greent.com/40Page/ammo/40/180gr.htm

6. amstutz

amstutz New Member

Thanks everyone. Very helpful. I am very anal about oal so not worried about setback. But thanks for the heads up.

7. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I buy Remington 155 FMJ in bulk-packs of 1,000. with a hefty charge of HS-6, they are easily loaded to duplicate the recoil and trajectory of the Winchester factory 155 Silvertip HP ammo that I keep for "serious social shooting.":D

9. at_liberty

at_liberty New Member

That article is very helpful but is shown with no credentials. I do accept it though. I just want to add that the .40 S&W with its 180 gr bullet was appropriately subsonic, so loads of the 165 grain should pay attention to limited velocity to avoid blowing your ears out in a gunfight. The sonic boom can occur at above 1108 fps, varying with elevation and other atmospheric conditions.

Note that part of the attention that the magnums get when they step up to the line at the range is because their typical loads are supersonic. That is also why the 9mm can sound loader than the rest.

10. locutus

My reason for not using 180 in the .40 is BECAUSE they are so slow.:p

When you get a 155 to ~1300 fps, you're right up there in 6 inch barrel, .357 magnum power levels. And the .357 has been proven on the street for over 75 years.

11. at_liberty

at_liberty New Member

Meanwhile the venerable .45 ACP is moseying along at around 800 fps. :rolleyes:

p.s. for reference, I note my box of Hornady .40 S&W, 175 gr Flexlock, Critical Defense is rated at 1025 fps, presumably sufficient in velocity to fully expand that bullet and achieve good penetration ratings. Velocity was not meant to be a measure of masculinity. What's up with the push for maximum speed?

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  12. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I don't care if you pay attention to the article or not. Just something to read and thin about . Credentials?? So many guys with credentials over time how shows to be not worth the papper written on so take it for what it is and shoot what you want. Right?

13. locutus

Energy increases directly as the weight of the bullet increases. But by the square of the velocity. IMHO, 180 is even too heavy for the 10MM.

14. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

I load 165gr, the last load I did was with accurate # 7, it was rock and roll with my FN .40 plus if I don't want to pack a 1911, the .40 I think is just as good.:D

15. locutus

If you read actual "on the street" research, there's virtually no difference in effectiveness between .38 special, 9MM .40 and .45.

No handgun, regardless of caliber or ammo is actually a "man stopper."

16. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

It is true that one's energy is better spent on actual handgun training than on splitting hairs between calibers.

Speaking of personal security, it is all too common to hear it discussed upside down. Everyone wants that magic bullet, eh, caliber. Or the such-and such pistol "just like our Special Forces". In real life, the firearm is but a backup plan. Personal protection begins with personal behavior. But that's a topic for another day.

17. at_liberty

at_liberty New Member

"Too heavy" by what standard?

18. at_liberty

at_liberty New Member

No, sorry...I can't act on "read it on the internet", unless there is some measure of credibility/accountability.

19. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Do not load lead if it is for a Glock with the factory barrel. They need jacketed.

20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There is also a thing called momentum. It is harder to stop a heavier bullet. Also 1300 fps is a +P even for a 135 grain in a 4" barrel. 155@1300 is 10mm territory. The interim load for the FBI while they were doing their testing was the 9mm 147 grain. Bullet design has come a long way since those tests but laws of physics have not changed.
    A 405 grain 45-70 will out penetrate a 308 150 grain twice as fast.
    http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/40sw.html