Best Ak for around $500

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by SavageGlock, Apr 20, 2012.

1. SavageGlock

SavageGlock New Member

Hey all,

I've been looking for an AK for around $500. I was curious what peoples opinions are I the best or that price range. Saiga converted or Wasr10 etc...

2. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

If you're looking for something to have fun with for $500, i'd say get the wasr 10 and a butt load of ammo. Century has a bad rep with some people but i've had half a dozen of their wasr 10s and was happy with every one.

3. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

You won't be getting a "butt load" of ammunition but you should have a little money left over. You're probably looking at $430 for a WASR.

4. PlaysWithZombies

Wow, what state are you in? I can buy used wasr 10s for $200 - $300 all day long here in PA

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  5. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

When did we start talking used? Even at $300 that only leaves $200 for ammo. That won't even get you 1k rounds.

I'd like to see where someone had a WASR worth buying for $200 or even $300.

6. Chris38spl

Chris38spl New Member

I have a WASR 10 Romanian AK but always wondered who manufactured them. Do they all co e from the same manufacturer but are converted to semi-auto by Tapco etc. before they can enter the US?

7. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Different places do the work. I don't believe Tapco does anything beyond supply the trigger group. CIA is probably the mist common name in WASRs.

The use kits w/ American barrels and receivers then throw in a Tapco trigger group.

If you are somewhat mechanically inclined get a Saiga and convert it or purchase a converted Saiga.

8. 01hugo

01hugo New Member

Go with the saiga. Wasrs are alright, but a saiga is much better.

9. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

Just got a Saiga for 350.00 (classic arms) and the conversion parts from Carolina Shooting Supply (~200.00) so that is pretty close to your $500.00 budget.

10. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Do the Saiga's take the standard AK mags or Saiga mags only?

11. tCan

tCan Active Member

Honest answer? Depends. Promags may or may not work out of the box. Some fitting may be required. AK mags may fit loosely. But they will generally run with acceptable dependability. A little bit of wobble is nothing to worry about.

Or so I read. Never owned an AK myself.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  12. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

This is my saiga after conversion... I love the feel of it a lot more now... When you order the kit from Carolina shooter supply get the upgrade houge grip and also buy the new hammer spring... This worth the new tapco trigger my gun is around 3-4lb smooth pull...

As for ak mags.. The part that locks into the gun doesn't fit since it to big so u can do 2 things... 1 mod each mag... I don't like this idea cuz if I ever want a real ak47 down the road they won't fit it then... Or 2. You can lightly shave the mag catch so they fit..

But you will also need to get a bullet guide since the mag lip on the 47 mags are lower and don't push the round up and into the chamber..

There is a few vid on YouTube how to do it... Really not that hard took me about 3 hrs but was manly since I didn't have a vise so I had a hard time drilling out the rivets..

Oh and I find the tapco pmags work the best... Just sucks I can't take them out of my house since they are evil in ny!!!! I got a few Preban metal ones that no one will bother me over tho!

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

13. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Ooopsss forgot to add the pic!!

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

Attached Files:

14. Mick3411

Mick3411 New Member

Out of the box the Saiga take their own mags. Carolina Shooting Supply (and probably others) have a very inexpensive conversion kit (<20.00) that allows it to accept AK mags. The downside is you will have to do a small amount of filing on each AK mag you get. The upside is these AK mags are 1/2 the price of the Saiga.

15. hockeyjr1

hockeyjr1 New Member

Why mod multiple mags and spend all that money... I have 10 ak47 mags that were 15.00 each.. 150 is a lot to then kick away if you ever get rid of the gun... File the mag catch and IF you sell the gun just buy a new mag catch or sell one mag that fits the mag catch now and let the new buyer worry about it.. I will never get away from an ak47 but I might down the road buy one better than a saiga... Once I move out of new York that is!!!

16. this might be a stupid question but i need to know if i have an ak-47 and i converted to a saiga will it still be a rifle or a shotgun?

17. PlaysWithZombies

I think you've got things a little confused here man. Saiga makes 7.62 battle rifles that can be converted to AK-47 style rifles, you wouldn't go the other way around. And they also produce a 12 ga magazine fed semi auto shotgun

18. ok thanks im not to familiar with the ak 47 yet i know the history and the orgin of the weapon but not the complete background yet and i appeciate the feedback

19. PlaysWithZombies

No problem man. If you're new to the AK you might be better off to pick up a used wasr 10 for a couple hundred bucks to make sure you really like the platform before shelling out the cash for a saiga. But if you're certain you want one saigas are really good rifles.

20. SavageGlock

SavageGlock New Member

I don't think he is interested in an AK I think you was reading the thread and got confused... I'm the OP... How complicated is it to convert a saiga? What tools needed etc...