Best ACOG Knockoffs

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Squawk, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Looking for a fixed magnification scope for an AR. I would love a Trijicon ACOG but can't afford it. Any suggestions on the best knockoff?

2. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

I haven't read anything good about NCStar, Barska, etc.

They're basically cheap, Chinese junk.

If you want an ACOG, save up for the real deal.

There are, however, some quality, affordable offerings out there from other companies like Swift, Nikon, et. al. that don't have the same footprint as an ACOG but essentially do the same thing.

3. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

++++2 , best to save up an save yoursel the disapointment.

4. hoovco

hoovco New Member

Yup ... Save for the real deal. The ACOG is worth it.

5. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

If you ever get a real ACOG, you'll be glad you saved up for it.

Don't waste money on junk. Save that money for a while and get the real thing.

6. Squawk

Squawk New Member

But is it worth $1500? I've seen them as low as $1200 and as high as $2000.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

See if you can find a used one , I have seen some like new for $700 . there isnt a good knockoff acog out there. it would just be a $100 waste that you could have used on the real deal . Save your money , even it it takes a couple years . I have owned several of the knock offs and I have upgraded most all of my stuff to quality optics with just one cheap red dot left and its been a good one for me the rest were all junk and most of them was a a wasted $60- $100 each . My only issue is just recently and below 20 degrees it dims on the shot but comes back immediatly , could be a low battery its not been changed in 5 years

8. forrest225

forrest225 New Member

You could buy one used, especially if you don't care about the tritium illumination.

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Dunno. Why do you want an ACOG clone? Why not another fixed power scope? What do you like about an ACOG? What ACOG characteristics are you willing to give up to save the money?

10. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Me thinks it be the Koolaid.;)

11. SSGN_Doc

Could be. There are some genuinely unique features on an ACOG. If those are important then there really is no substitute. If the standard features of another scope will do, then we could make better recommendations.

If it is the look, then there are lots of cheap knock-offs that will look cool, but don't work the same way.

12. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Heck, I'd own one if i got a good deal.

I'm not one to drink said Koolaid with no experience. That's why I bought my Glock, just to see for myself. I may well do the same with the ACOG. We'll see.. ;)

13. SSGN_Doc

It's just that an ACOG uses a prism arangement for magnification and compact size, that none of the knock offs use. They have tritium to provide the primary illumination of a sight post. Most knock offs use an LED light to project a red dot or illuminate a reticle that is etched in glass. The knock offs do not have to meet military requirments with regard to shock resistance, submergence, salt water exposure, weather temperature extremes.

14. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Mainly size, durability and the fixed magnification. 4x magnification seems perfect for medium range. Fairly compact in size. And of course Military grade durability. I don't want a cheap knockoff just something more in the $500-$750 range that has these characteristics.

15. forrest225

forrest225 New Member

http://www.armslist.com/posts/13478...cog-4x32-scope-with-amber-center-illumination

DISCLAIMER: It aint mine, and it's your fault if you get burned. I googled used ACOG and this came up.

Wow, I just noticed that was a deactivated listing, but still, you could probably find the real deal used within your budget.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013