Best 9mm

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by zackthatsit, May 28, 2013.

1. zackthatsit

zackthatsit New Member

I'm looking to getting first handgun and have chosen the 9mm. Which would be the best all around semi auto. I've quickly chosen a Glock 19 and a m&p sd9ve but what's the best in your opinion

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

It's all personal preference. Most of the major brands will more than likely perform as reliably as others.

Are you looking to conceal or target shooting? Thumb safety or not? Grip safety or not? Single stack, double stack, or staggered stack?

For what its worth, I use a S&W M&P9c and my wife uses the full size of the same gun.

I suggest going to a gun range and asking to hold different guns to get a feel for them. Rent as many as you can.

3. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

That's not an easy question unless you are more specific. For instance, a Beretta 92 is widely considered the standard for durability, reliability and parts availability, but it's a large heavy pistol and wouldn't be a good weapon to conceal and people with smaller hands don't care for it. So, we need more info here. How do you intend to use it?

...and the Beretta 92 is a DA/SA pistol which operates different from a Striker-Fired Glock so, you need to know what type of action you prefer.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

MMMMMMM! WISE he is.

To him should you listen!

5. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

Zach,

I have the SW sd40ve and love it. Now, it is not an M&P its the step below but shots and feels like the M&P...except the trigger is a bit different. I do agree with the others....do you plan to carry, hd, target...its intended use would be a help to assist you further.

6. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

I would choose the one I was comfortable shooting with. That's just my logic.

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

The best one , is the one that feels best in your hand for you, not what others suggest . Go to a gun shop that has a indoor range and pick out a couple and shoot them . You will be more confident and be more accurate with a gun that feel best to you .

8. AR10

AR10 New Member

Well, you have picked the single most popular handgun round in the world today, that every single gun manufacturer makes several models to shoot. Models, sub models, barrel lengths, full size, compact, subcompact.

You have really narrowed down your choice.

9. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Yep, you need to do research, make a list of what you want out of the gun, know your cost limitstions and test various guns. This can actually be fun. I chose the Sig Sauer P226r to meet my needs. It is sexy and a girl magnet;)

I actually chose it for the reliability, accuracy, quality, proof of battle worthiness, quick target acquisition sights, SA/DA option, decocker and lack of manual safety. I like the high quality 15 and 20 round mags. Once you hold a Sig in your hand.....aah Zen.

Attached Files:

10. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Neither one would make the"best" list in my book. But you need to figure out what is best for YOU. They are both fine guns. Just not something I would ever own.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Glocks have to go through a few mods for me to shoot comfortably, but then is feels like a Sigma. So why don't I buy a Sigma 9mm?

It reminds me too much of Glock.

12. Transman

Transman New Member

Seems I have seven different 9mms',each unique in their appeal,but two stand out as being head and shoulders above the others.My Belgium Browning High Power, and my Sig 210 Target.These two,in my opinion,define the semi-auto 9mm pistol.

13. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

same boat different lake

I'm the same: Beretta 92SB/F, Taurus PT-92, Smith 569(old), Smith 39/439(even Older!) and my two Ruger's (SR9 & LC9). Folks are telling you to try them out(as many as Possible) and I agree. The Shop I bought the Ruger's from was not that Local but had advertised Deals for ret.Vets and current active duty. CS was Great, even though no Onsite range they did have a Bullet Trap Room where you can test fire, and so I did. My Local Range does rentals, many do. Again, if you want concealment, you may have to give up capacity. while we do have open carry in my state(Arizona) I never open carry an Auto(unless we have a Sierra Hotel Tango Foxtrot), but(if I'm) on my Trike I will OC my Colt Python because I ride on back trails quite a bit with my Wife(DW) who only carries a .32ACP derringer or her New LC380 when on her Bike....

Get what feels best to you, and search online or shop at different shops for Ammo, which has begun to come down in price because availability is improving..:).
    Good Luck!

14. FearTheFree7

FearTheFree7 New Member

I want! I want! The gun of course ;-)

15. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Any P series Sig Sauer. P226, 228, 229....etc

16. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Browning Hi-Power.

17. SigArmored

SigArmored New Member

The opinion is in the name.

18. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Whatever your hand likes is the best. There is no best 9mm. Everyone has opinions just like everyone has *******s. My opinion? I've owned a Glock 34, M&P 9 VTAC, Beretta 92FS, XD Service 9, M&P Shield 9, and XDm Compact 9.

I currently only have the XDm Compact 9mm. But I have ADD with guns. So my opinion should not sway your decision in the least.

19. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

My first handgun was a sigma sve 9mm $300. Second was a G19 $530 both brand new. If i could go back in time I would.... wait for it...

Buy the Sigma first again! Lol yep. Buying a lower end gun, that was still extremely reliable, and from a great company S&W was a great choice.

When I purchased my Glock it I could appreciate the step up.

Hopefully next year I can get a Sig... Navy edition... o yeah lol

20. GlockRenegade

GlockRenegade New Member

Navy Seal* Edition. Forgive me